Going Flat Out for GALT and Greyhounds Unlimited: A Plea For Help

I have good news and bad news. Let’s get the tough part behind us.

Those of you who are overly sensitive to graphic images have asked me to warn you in advance. You’ll struggle with this, it’s nothing short of atrocious. If you can handle it go here, and note that you’ll be able to read a summary without seeing any pics – you have to click an additional link to get to them. I’ll include that summary below for those of you who are spooked at the prospect of the pics. Note that links included in the summary will take you directly to graphic images, so be careful.

“Fort Worth Animal Control Cruelty Investigation Officers took 28 dogs into custody Thursday night, July 8, 2010. GALT was contacted as greyhounds were included in the seize. At GALT’s request, Greyhounds Unlimited (GU) joined in this effort, as GALT and GU are the only adoption groups in the DFW/north Texas area to help stray and shelter greyhounds. Friday morning, representatives from GALT and GU met with Diane Whiteley, the Executive Director of the Texas Greyhound Association, to assess the dogs. Eight were taken by each group.  Wednesday, July 14, GALT took one more female and with that now all 28 dogs are with adoption groups.  Two videos showing all of the 28 dogs can be seen here:

The condition of GALT’s 9 greyhounds is absolutely appalling and shocking. Weights on the females and males range from 35 to 51 pounds. Besides being extremely thin, each dog was covered with more ticks than can be ever imagined. Graphic pictures can be seen here.

The greys in GALT’s custody are listed below:

All the greys were evaluated by Dr. Jeff Ellis and Dr. Christy Soileau of VCA Preston Park Animal Hospital. Friday it was determined that Nate, a 3-year-old brindle male, should be taken to the Collin County Animal Emergency Clinic because his packed cell volume was 12. Friday evening he received two units of whole blood. The veterinarian estimated a staff of 4 technicians removed 1500 ticks from his body – and that is after a team of GALT volunteers worked 2 hours bathing and removing ticks.

Remarkably, blood work shows none of GALT’s greyhounds to be heartworm positive at this time; however, initial blood work indicates a high probability of severe tick-borne diseases. All are loaded with intestinal parasites of every kind: hookworms of four different varieties, whipworms, capillarid and tape worms. Hair is missing in clumps as well as loss covers the entire torso on many of the greys. Tattoos are in the process of being identified if possible. As soon as Protatek tick panel test results are received, they will be posted.

As GALT approaches its 10th year in existence, this situation is by far the worst experienced to date. Won’t you please consider helping these special greyhounds – they deserve a chance at a decent life don’t you think?”

Honestly, it’s one of the worst cases I’ve seen. In my daily search for dog news of interest I am forced to skip over a number of bad news stories in order to maintain balance. However, this one has hit very close to home, so instead of skipping it, I’d prefer to tackle it head on and know that the dogs will have unlimited resources at their disposal as they endure a lengthy healing process. They have been to hell and back, the remainder of their existence should be heavenly.

What You Can Do to Help

So what can you/I/we do? I don’t know about you, but I’m not rich. I can’t pay for the care these dogs will need. But I can still help, and so can you. A charity auction will kick off Thursday July 22nd and run until Wednesday, July 28.

1. If you or anyone you know manufactures pet products please make them aware of this – it’s a great cause and an inexpensive way to get exposure. Send me an e-mail at [email protected] and I’ll put you or them in touch with the auction organizer, who has generously waived all auction fees so that every penny raised goes to GALT and GU.

2. Share this post and information on Facebook and Twitter, or other dog sites or forums of interest. GT should be abuzz with this news all week.

3. When I get the auction link I’ll post an update. *UPDATE: It’s 1:06 am and that link just hit my inbox – here it is:  http://www.carpecanem.com/auction/index.php?auctionid=177

We need to try to get that link in front of as many eyeballs as possible. Another sharefest if you will.

So what am I doing to help? First of all, I’m going to spend the week shouting about this. You’ll all be sick of me by Friday, but know that I still love you.  There is something to that strength in numbers cliche, and the more people who find their way to the auction, the better. I’m also going to reach out to every pet product manufacturer I’ve had contact with in the last year to solicit donations. And I’ll find plenty of new ones to hassle along the way.

Nigel plans to help by adding his pawtograph to two t-shirts from the MGPS reunion. These fashion musts include a print of the original Nigel portrait. Full details can be seen here – thanks to the artist for modeling! Speaking of the artist, rumor has it that her autograph (and mine for that matter) might make it on to those shirts as well.  ;)

Finally, another round of applause is needed for the artist (Kathleen Coy) for making the last Flat Nigel in the world available for this cause. I’ve included a note from her here – this is a rare gem, and is expected to do well in the auction.

“In case anyone wants to write about what an artist’s proof is, it’s a small number of test prints to make sure everything looks good before an edition is printed. And this is the last available, making it, in effect, the last available Flat Nigel in the world. It’s signed and numbered AP 3/3 and looks exactly like the 40 Flat Nigels.”

I’ve been long winded today, and I appreciate it greatly if you’re still with me. If you are, let me get in one last item. I’d like to host a chat session here on the site tonight at 9 pm est. I’ll be available to answer questions, and I’d love to have a quick brainstorming session about any ideas to help spread the word and make this auction an even bigger success. The dogs deserve it. To join the chat session just find that black bar at the bottom of the site and look for the join chat button. You may simply sign in with a nick name if you’d like.

The image at the top of this post is the least upsetting one I could find from the rescue coverage. A description is included below.

Nicole is one of 9 greyhounds GALT received from a Fort Worth Animal Control cruelty case. She is a tiny, 2-year-old (her age is estimated) fawn female who currently weighs in at 35 pounds. She is being treated for tick-borne diseases and a huge load of intestinal parasites. Her health is being closely monitored by Dr. Christy Soileau of VCA Preston Park Animal Hospital. Nicole is thin and has patchy skin from her tick infestation, but her body and spirit are recovering with the help of good food, a soft bed, and TLC from her foster parents. She is very timid around people and will need time to learn to trust. Nicole has not yet been tested with cats or small animals. Just like the other rescued dogs, she is positive to babesia as well as ehrlichia at extremely high titers.

Visit GALT and GU and read more if you can – it only gets worse. Today, together, let’s start making it much better.

Life With Dogs post end paw print

• July 19, 2010 12:36 amPosted 4 years ago
    Khyra

We’ll be back to check it out later today -

Not sure we can handle it now before bed -

Khyra’s Mom

July 19, 2010 1:09 amPosted 4 years ago
    Annie Shupe

We donated to help Max and Charlie! Thanks for letting us know about this, Nigel. We usually only deal with our boxers in boxer rescue…but because of you, greyhounds have slowly crept into our lives. Hope this helps. Annie

• July 19, 2010 1:15 amPosted 4 years ago
    Huffle Mawson

Oh no that is just heartbreaking. I will have mum post it on her FB page too.

• July 19, 2010 1:36 amPosted 4 years ago
    Lawrence

Texas Italian Greyhound Rescue has also taken in six of the 28 dogs received at Fort Worth Animal Control, our newsletter is available at:

• July 19, 2010 3:29 amPosted 4 years ago
    Jim@DoggyBytes

Stumbled, tweeted and shared on Facebook. Brutal!!

July 19, 2010 6:54 amPosted 4 years ago
    kim

horrible suffering…..so happy that these special dogs got lucky…..
    xoxo

• July 19, 2010 8:09 amPosted 4 years ago
    cyndi

grrrr! those damn beans!

We’re putting out thinking caps on here. And offering prayers for the dogs and those rescueing.

July 19, 2010 8:17 amPosted 4 years ago
    Sharon

It’s a miracle that these dogs were found when they were. Now to get to the other side of their conditions, health and happiness.
    I’ll pass the story on and hope it travels far and wide.

• July 19, 2010 8:19 amPosted 4 years ago
    Houndstooth

Thank you so much for publishing this story! Since it first hit, it has haunted me. Anybody who’s ever known a Greyhound knows that they are the sweetest, most easygoing dogs around and it makes me sick to think of someone treating them so cruelly! Martin’s foster mom is an online friend of mine and the things he’s been through are heartbreaking! I hope that lots of people will bid in the auction!

• July 19, 2010 8:53 amPosted 4 years ago
    Brittaney

It’s a Grey Area Greyhound Adoption also has 1 of the dogs, a saluki mix.
    More info can be foudno n our facebook page http://www.facebook.com/itsagreyarea and our website http://itsagreyarea.com/howtohelp.html

July 19, 2010 9:25 amPosted 4 years ago
    Rider and Lilly

Thank you for the auction site link – we are ready to bid!

• July 19, 2010 10:05 amPosted 4 years ago
    Madi and Mom

I cannot look at the pictures buy it just breaks my heart to read of such abuse of these lovely Greys….God bless the folks trying to get the Greys back their health and the quality of life they deserve.
    Madi and Mom

• July 19, 2010 10:06 amPosted 4 years ago
    The Road Dogs

We can’t imagine what these guys have gone through! We’re so glad they’re getting the help they need!
    We talked a silversmith we know into donating something doggy-related. Hope it helps!
    The Road Dogs

• July 19, 2010 11:44 amPosted 4 years ago
      Life With Dogs (Author)

Thank you so much for donating!

• July 19, 2010 10:08 amPosted 4 years ago
    Chester's mom

Thanks for sharing so we can join in helping these abused animals. I hope it is a huge success!

• July 19, 2010 12:05 pmPosted 4 years ago
    jansfunnyfarm

Unbelievable! Hope the auction raises the needed funds to help them all.

July 19, 2010 12:13 pmPosted 4 years ago
    Frankie Furter

I just hate some two leggers. How can they do such things????

July 19, 2010 12:15 pmPosted 4 years ago
    Angela

Shared far and wide….thanks for posting and everything you are doing for these precious Greys……

July 19, 2010 1:09 pmPosted 4 years ago
    Budrow Wilson

OMG!!! I am so in support of this. Count me in on the screaming from the top of the hill!

July 19, 2010 2:54 pmPosted 4 years ago
    Bev Doan

Aha. So FN is going into the Carpe Canem auction! Okay! I’ve donated items too, and will be promoting the daylights out of the event on my FB page, and to most of personal email list. There are typically at least some items in most auctions that aren’t gh specific, sometimes not dog, or pet, related at all. These items are usually terrific bargains for the non-pet owner, because they get usually draw fewer bids. For example, I got a gorgeous, barely used, Coach bag in a gh auction a while ago for $20.00. (it retailed for over $500.00). I was the only bidder! So don’t hesitate to share the auction link with non-pet people! They just might thank you big time for doing so!

• July 19, 2010 4:26 pmPosted 4 years ago
    sprinkles

Such a heartbreaking story!

• July 19, 2010 4:36 pmPosted 4 years ago
    Kathleen Coy

I’m excited about this auction – there are so many wonderful items, something for almost everyone! I hope they raise loads of funds to help these sweet dogs…
    Kathleen

• July 19, 2010 7:11 pmPosted 4 years ago
    Kari

That just makes me sick

Don’t forget, we are changing our blog this Friday. Please update your reader to follow dogisgodinreverse.com

• July 20, 2010 2:34 pmPosted 4 years ago
    Jen

Wow, I just can’t believe someone lets that happen. It really brings things into perspective. I’m worrying today about one of my seniors and making sure I do right by her and make the right decisions…. when you see suffering like this…. I just need to wipe my silly tears and take comfort in that my greyhounds will never come close to that kind of suffering.

July 20, 2010 3:31 pmPosted 4 years ago
    Heff'sMomma

Pico looks so much like my Heff that it literally shook me! Not to say that their shocking and appalling condition didn’t do that already :( I feel so heartbroken for these guys, as if the life they have at the track isn’t enough to deal with :(

July 24, 2010 9:36 amPosted 4 years ago
    Stephs Mom

Thank you so very much for posting this and greatly helping to spread the word. I am the mother of the one who shot the two seizure videos and I can tell you this has ripped their hearts out. If you are brave enough to watch the video you will hear her courageously keep cooing and talking to those poor souls in an upbeat, sweet voice-obviously something they never heard-and some had the energy to slowly wag their tails in appreciation. Thank you again.

July 24, 2010 3:22 pmPosted 4 years ago
    L. Jordan

God Bless all of your involved, God Bless the dogs. I had the pleasure of really knowing only one GH, she, Annie, belonged with my sister. I remember I was asked to go to the shelter the night these two choose each other. What a beautiful and loving partner Annie turned out to be. My prayers are with all the animals. I hope they all recover, and find loving homes.