Miracle Dog Euthanized, Comes Back to Life Next Day

Matt Olivarez had to do what every animal owner dreads – he had to put his dog to sleep. And now he may have to do it again. The Redford, Michigan man took his 10 year-old Rottweiler, Mia, to the vet to be euthanized last Saturday. Spinal problems had progressed to the extent that Mia was no longer able to walk.  Vets recommended euthanasia as a merciful solution to her suffering.

Olivarez was present and watched as both shots were administered to Mia. Moments later the vet declared her deceased. Olivarez brought the beloved family pet’s remains home so that she could be given a proper burial. What happened next defies description.

In an interview with Action News, Olivarez expresses amazement at Mia’s revival, and heartbreak at the thought of having to put her down again.

Life With Dogs post end paw print

• October 12, 2010 9:57 amPosted 4 years ago
    Jenn

Oh no.

• October 12, 2010 10:17 amPosted 4 years ago
    Ronda

How sad! Maybe it was a sign??

• October 12, 2010 10:34 amPosted 4 years ago
    Cocorue

oh no, how heartwrenching……poor Matt and Mia

• October 12, 2010 10:36 amPosted 4 years ago
    Dr V

That should NEVER have happened. NEVER.

• October 12, 2010 10:37 amPosted 4 years ago
    Angie in England

It does seem almost as if Mia wasn’t meant to go to sleep yet.

October 12, 2010 10:54 amPosted 4 years ago
    Marie

What??? Obviously the vet didn’y make the best work, I can’t imagine the shock on everyone involved, the decision is very hard to take, and now the pet parents are faced again with the same decision or to leave mother nature take its course. I sure wouldn’t like to be in their shoes. And if I were to have Mia put down again I’ll surely take her to another vet!!!

• October 12, 2010 11:00 amPosted 4 years ago
    The OP Pack

Oh, that makes us so sad. How horrible for Mia and for her family. We do wish there could be something done to help her, but it doesn’t sound good. We hope there will be an update on this story. Our hearts go out to that poor dog.

Woos ~ Phantom, Thunder, and Ciara

October 12, 2010 11:08 amPosted 4 years ago
    Sam

How heartbreaking!

Sam

• October 12, 2010 11:10 amPosted 4 years ago
    Two Little Cavaliers

How does that happen? That is really really sad. The family thinking that Mia is gone and then walking into the garage and finding her alive and looking for food.

• October 12, 2010 11:33 amPosted 4 years ago
    Dot O

How unbelievably sad – having had to go through the whole PTS situation, I can’t even fathom having this happen….. My vet stayed with us listening for a heartbeat for quite a while after… and then we had another block of time to just be with our dog before we brought her home to bury her.

• October 12, 2010 11:49 amPosted 4 years ago
    chester's mom

Chester’s obedience teacher told us about Pentobarbital being found in less expensive dog foods and thus causing a resistance to it when a pet needs to be euthanized. I wonder if this could explain what happened to Mia.

How heart wrenching to have to go through this twice!

October 12, 2010 12:48 pmPosted 4 years ago
      Budrow Wilson

Chester went to obedience training? ;-)

• October 13, 2010 5:49 amPosted 4 years ago
        chester's mom

Yep Budrow-can you imagine if he hadn’t??? ;0-)

• October 12, 2010 12:14 pmPosted 4 years ago
    jansfunnyfarm

We read this read night and can only imagine the horror of what those folks went through. The poor woman is very upset because the vet said he’d have to check whether it was really the same dog. That’s a real slap in the face.

We wonder if what Chester’s mom commented could have happened. Because if it did, then we wonder how many other animals this has happened to and either been buried alive or sent right to the crematorium. Very scary thought!

October 13, 2010 6:15 pmPosted 4 years ago
      Toni

I agree… that was a slap in the face!

• October 12, 2010 12:17 pmPosted 4 years ago
    Karen Friesecke

I find this story totally disturbing. I think that I would have had a heart attack if I would have walked in on my “dead” dog coming to life. That family is going to have nightmares for years to come…

October 12, 2010 12:48 pmPosted 4 years ago
    Budrow Wilson

That is a tough one! Once is so damn difficult I can’t imagine what it would be like to have to do it twice!

• October 12, 2010 1:24 pmPosted 4 years ago
    anny

gosh! How do u have the heart to do it twice. Maybe she’s not meant to go yet.

• October 12, 2010 1:49 pmPosted 4 years ago
    Emma Rose and the Duchess

Oh my gosh. This just makes me sick to my stomach.

• October 12, 2010 2:48 pmPosted 4 years ago
    Houndstooth

I can’t imagine how awful this must be! Having had to go through the PTS scenario a few times myself, it’s just so awful. All those second guesses and doubts, and then to find out that the dog has defied the odds and come back — it’s just too hard to think about. It’s what you always wish for the day after you’ve gone through that, but not in that way. I pray for him that maybe she’ll just go quietly in her sleep before he has to go through that again.

• October 12, 2010 4:24 pmPosted 4 years ago
    Deedee

I don’t know, I kind of think maybe it’s a sign that it just isn’t Mia’s time to go.

October 12, 2010 4:35 pmPosted 4 years ago
    Lorri

I agree this is so sad but I also agree with some who say maybe this is a sign ..I am sure many people would love to help get Mia the surgery she needs ..I would donate for sure ..and I couldn’t do this again to Mia ..it’s so not her time apparently.

• October 12, 2010 5:46 pmPosted 4 years ago
    Tessa

OMD how horrific, I really feel for the owner. Maybe Mia feels she is just NOT ready to go just yet.

• October 12, 2010 9:04 pmPosted 4 years ago
    Lola

I think it could be a sign and I also think if a vet didn’t manage to do it right the first time, I probably would reconsider taking the vet’s word that it’s the right thing to do. Totally second opinion time if you ask me.

lotsa licks, Lola

October 12, 2010 9:06 pmPosted 4 years ago
    Tina

Just maybe it wasn’t her time……how bizarre, nonetheless!

October 12, 2010 9:32 pmPosted 4 years ago
    Robin

How about a wheel chair from walking wheels…..

• October 12, 2010 9:47 pmPosted 4 years ago
    Katz (And Other) Tales

How very odd!

• October 12, 2010 10:28 pmPosted 4 years ago
    Sukhmandir Kaur

That would be pretty shocking! not mention heart rendering. Makes you wonder how many animal put down are disposed of before they are really actually lifeless.

• October 13, 2010 10:41 amPosted 4 years ago
    Lacey

While this is a terrbily painful story, we have to remember that vets are human and therefore, subject to mistakes. I hope that all concerned can find some peace.

October 13, 2010 1:08 pmPosted 4 years ago
    Lorri

I read this morning in our local paper that Mia’s owner is looking for someone to adopt Mia, someone can provide the care she needs ,,I sure hope she finds a wonderful new home and can get the care she needs

October 13, 2010 3:56 pmPosted 4 years ago
    L.

My Rottweiler, Shepherd, Chow, Lab mix woke up on the table during surgery at a well known, reputable animal clinic. Tranquilizers don’t seem to have much effect on him either. I’ve been horrified of the day we may have to put him to sleep for exactly this reason! I joked about it but was truly concerned. Now it seems I may have been right to be worried!!

October 13, 2010 6:10 pmPosted 4 years ago
    Toni

Perhaps the vet who was unsuccessful of performing this task should offer to pick up the tab for surgery for Mia….

October 14, 2010 6:10 pmPosted 4 years ago
    Kelly

I believe this is a sign from God – - it isn’t Mia’s time. Someone should start a fund to raise the money for the surgery – - possibly the news station that reported it. I would donate to help this dog and this family. The vet should kick in some free time and post operative care also in my opinion since he evidently did not do his job properly. If it were my dog, I would sue the vet, so he certainly should offer some help.

October 15, 2010 11:08 amPosted 4 years ago
    jufi

That is so very tragic for the family and Mia…what would really be awesome is if people would start to donate to a fund for her surgery and the vet clinic where this happened would voluntarily see to the surgery and aftercare for her, cost free of course. I do not believe in coincidences, and do agree with many who said that it was not her time, and it still isn’t.

October 17, 2010 9:03 amPosted 4 years ago
    Alexis

Maybe she knew how much they would have missed each other.

July 12, 2012 5:17 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Bella

Believe that if dogs are dead and come back to life, that is God’s way of telling you that it’s not her time. I recommend keeping her alive for a little longer if there is a cure. And if you can afford it, get her cured. If you can’t and she truly leaves you then it was meant to be. God bless you and I hope for the best.