Is this the world’s new oldest dog?

Not only is Smokey a marvel at 24 years of age – he also happens to come with an endearing tale of enduring friendship.

His guardian first met him on the side of a rural highway in North Carolina back in 1987. Harry Williams Jr. expected to rehome the stray without too much trouble, and quickly learned that nobody else wanted the dog.

That fateful roadside meeting led to a two decade long friendship that Williams can’t imagine living without. And while he does not have a birth certificate to prove Smokey’s true age, he says that’s not really the point.

Life With Dogs post end paw print

Related posts

March 11, 2011 12:00 pmPosted 3 years ago
    Jane Accardo

Hey maybe Hound can last another 9 years and beat the record! That would be wonderful for me

• March 11, 2011 12:23 pmPosted 3 years ago
    Anonymous

This is a wonderful story – at first, Williams was actually planning to give Smokey away.

March 11, 2011 12:53 pmPosted 3 years ago
    SSB Pack

Well, I know some DNA we need to store away……

Maybe we can use his genes for gene therapy on our dogs to keep them around muchhhhhh longer.

March 11, 2011 3:53 pmPosted 3 years ago
    Catherine

II look at my guys and thnk “If only” – great for Smokey and his owner – great dog and great owner!

C

• March 11, 2011 10:45 pmPosted 3 years ago
    sprinkles

I wish they could all live that long.

My dad has a beagle that we think is about 15 and maybe older. And I thought SHE was old! lol

• March 11, 2011 10:56 pmPosted 3 years ago
    houndstooth4

I thought we were doing good with Lilac at fifteen and a half! Twenty four years is really impressive.

March 12, 2011 6:38 amPosted 3 years ago
    Jennifer

Smokey is very special. So glad he has a wonderful owner to take great care of him. It got me teary eyed when he got choked up when they asked about loosing Smokey one day. You can tell he really loves the dog.

• March 12, 2011 11:54 amPosted 3 years ago
    Maureen

Hello,
    What a great story….here is to many more years for Smokey and his owner….I love your blog…Please stop by and say hi…Areyouamom.com
    Technically I write a mommy blog, but I am a mommy to my human baby and my furry ones…
    Thanks and have a great day!
    Maureen

March 13, 2011 11:36 pmPosted 3 years ago
    Anna

The best things in life are unplanned………I have one 2 legged baby and seven 4 legged ones, all unplanned! Bless Smokey and his owner.

March 15, 2011 9:50 pmPosted 3 years ago
    Breezie

What a great story, the love is so very obvious between them both.

March 18, 2011 7:47 amPosted 3 years ago
    Jack Russel

The ending made me cry. :’-) When Williams cried, I cried. So sad. I’ve dealt with pets’ deaths more than 8 times.

April 9, 2011 8:39 pmPosted 3 years ago
    Lynn

Can someone find out the owners contact info…I may be able to help him. My dog is 16 years old and he is strong. I can at least give him a list of things to do to help extend his life a little longer with the vitamins, etc. When I saw him in tears it broke my heart. I know how it feels. I lost 4 dogs in my life who have lived a full happy life and want to extend my help to him and others.

June 7, 2011 9:01 pmPosted 3 years ago
    rebecca eddy

Mr. Williams,
    My heart is with you right now. Smokey was blessed to join you for such a wonderful, loving life. May you forever keep him in your heart.

June 7, 2011 9:06 pmPosted 3 years ago
    Amber

RIP Smokey, over the rainbow bridge you go to play like a forever puppy!

June 7, 2011 9:40 pmPosted 3 years ago
    Donna

Dear Harry, You are so very fortunate to have had such a strong and enduring relationship with Smokey. I am glad that you didn’t find someone to give him to all those years ago because you would have missed out on this unconditional Love Story that you two shared. God Bless you Harry and God Bless Smokey. Til you meet again ………

June 8, 2011 1:24 amPosted 3 years ago
    Tommy

I have a Rat Terrier that just turned two years old two weeks ago, they say that bread can live well into it’s 20′s some have made it to 25. I hope & pray everyday that with a lot of love & a little luck my puppy will make it that far.

He is my first puppy & I can’t imagine life without him & the first 2 years have gone by so fast.