Seizure Dog Goes Door to Door to Get Help, Saves Owner

A self taught seizure detection dog from Fort Worth, TX has been called a hero for carrying out an unprecedented rescue mission on behalf of his owner.

Debbie Zeisler admits that her dog Bear has not been formally trained in seizure detection, but since she adopted him from the Weatherford-Parker County Animal Shelter, she says Bear has been reacting to her oncoming seizures. “He started teaching himself,” she said. “I would get these auras, start feeling weird, and he started making me sit down.”

She says that’s exactly what happened Saturday when she ignored his warning, pushing past him and walking into her front yard, where she collapsed, unconscious and seizing. What happened next was nothing short of astounding. Bear went for help.

“All I remember is going down the stairs,” she recalled. “Then I woke up, and my dog was gone.”

Bear was on a rescue mission, making his way from home to home in his neighborhood, scratching at front doors in an attempt to find help. “He scratched on doors,” animal control supervisor Karen Kessler said. “He went until one neighbor noticed him.”

Kessler noticed Bear in action while patrolling for strays in the area. She expected him to run from her as most dogs do, but Bear saw her as potential help and did just the opposite. “As the dog was coming down the driveway, I opened the door and he climbed up in the truck with me,” she said.

Kessler read the tags on Bear’s collar, went to his home and found Zeisler, who was still unconscious in her front yard. She had been out cold for 30 minutes in the baking Texas sun after hitting her head on a front porch step as she fell. Bear’s extraordinary plan to save his guardian was a success.

“I look at it this way,” Zeisler said. “He saved my life. If I had been out there alone, I don’t know if I would have made it to the house.”

Comments

1. What a great story! I think some dogs just have that gift for sensing seizures in people. How lucky they both are to have found each other!

2. WOW!

3. Harriet says on  06/02/2011 at 1:47 pm

Bless you Bear <3

4. sharing…animals are amazing!

5. can’t share – comes up as spam – reported.

6. Furry people! Good, wonderful furry people. Some would say they are more “human” than some humans. :)

7. That is absolutely amazing! That’s love in one of it’s purest forms. What an extraordinary dog! Nothing short of a hero! =^-^=

8. Peggie says on  06/02/2011 at 1:54 pm

What a wonderful dog you are Bear!! And a rescue to boot!! ;p Give that dog a BIG TREAT!!

9. Karen says on  06/02/2011 at 1:55 pm

can’t share, is blocked, someone has reported this as spam or abusive…

10. is that what it was? I tried to share and it didn’t work…beautiful story…tweeted it since I was thwarted from sharing.

11. Andrea says on  06/02/2011 at 1:57 pm

no fair making me cry. What a magnificent effort. Way to go, Bear!

12. Jason says on  06/02/2011 at 1:58 pm

Trust your animals, they will not let you down! :-) Remote Indonesian tribe was saved from the Tsunami by following the animals running past them into the mountians!

13. That’s an incredible story!!

14. Keep up the great work Bear. Mommy rescued you, and now you rescue her every time you get the chance.

15. I tried to repost this story, but Facebook blocked it. :(

16. Bonnie says on  06/02/2011 at 2:22 pm

me too. says there has been “abusive content” reported. :(

17. Anastasia says on  06/02/2011 at 2:25 pm

Yeah, FB crapped out on me too when I tried to share. :(

18. mine just states can not be posted to this wall Whats up with the sharing??

19. We think this skill is one of the best ones that dogs have – such an important way to help their peeps when they are in danger. Great job, Bear.

Woos ~ Phantom, Thunder, and Ciara

20. wow

21. Bear is Ms Zeisler’s Angel…she did not pick him out at the shelter,He picked her!

22. just fyi, i tried to share this, both by sharing from this page and cutting and pasting the link from the life with dogs page, and it was blocked, cited as “abusive or spammy”. I “appealed, but thought LWD’s should know….

23. I love dogs so much this story had me welling up’

24. I was blocked as well, though the only time I get the opportunity to dispute it is when I copy and paste the link to my wall. If I try to click the share button – either on your wall, or on the blog entry – it simplay fails to post.

25. Aha, but I can click the “like” button on the blog entry, and the headline and link DO show up on my wall.

26. :)

27. mmttw says on  06/02/2011 at 7:29 pm

Bless the Animal Control gal too for not just scooping him up and dumping him off at a shelter to let them sort it out. It could have been too late for his mama. What an awesome boy. How do you love them more than with all of your heart?