Hiking With Dogs in Sedona

Ty and Buster, Life with Dogs’ travel correspondents, take you for a hike in Sedona, Arizona.

Ty: When I heard we were heading to Sedona I had one thought …. spa time!

Buster: That’s not happening – but botox might not be a bad idea for you.

Ty: Hey Buster …

Ty's Tongue

Buster: We came to Sedona to do some hiking!

Ty: You don’t have to sound so excited about it.

Buster: Don’t worry, buddy, we’ll go slow.

Buster Ready to Hike

Buster: I’ve even found some trails that are just your speed. Bell Rock Pathway, Baldwin Trail, and Herkenham Trail are pretty easy and have nice scenery.

Sedona, Arizona

Sedona, Arizona

Ty: Listen, I can hang on the tough trails.

Buster: In that case, we can hit Turkey Creek Trail and Wilson Trail! In fact, there are only a few places in Coconino National Forest that we can’t go, and the rules are provided on their website.

Trail in Sedona, Arizona

On The Trail in Sedona, Arizona
Ty:
It’s not that I couldn’t tackle those hikes, but altitude can be tough on dogs like me with short faces. At an elevation of 4,500 feet, we probably shouldn’t over do it.

Buster: Sure, Ty. And don’t forget that heat can kill people and dogs. Hiking when the temperatures are cooler is best, and we’ll load up my backpack with plenty of water.

Ty: Of course, we’ll also take plenty of time to rest.

Taking a break in Sedona, AZ

We loved hiking in Sedona. What’s your favorite place to hike with your dogs?

Related posts

July 26, 2011 10:39 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Robert

I love hiking with my dog in Sedona!

Thumb up 0 Thumb down 0

July 26, 2011 10:40 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Jessie

sedona is beautiful!

Thumb up 0 Thumb down 0

• July 26, 2011 11:22 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Diane

we did that with our dogs one year when we stayed in Sedona. The locals were amazed at how athletic and brave our one dog, in particular was on the rocks. He absolutely loved it.

Thumb up 0 Thumb down 0

• July 27, 2011 12:34 amPosted 2 years ago
    Abby Austin

Happy Trails and Woof! I just learned about your site, and I am really enjoying it. Thank you! My husband and I travel a lot–and we are accompanied by George and Emma, 160 pounds of love. In a 19 foot camper, it gets crowded! George, a Dane/Shepherd mix, wears the same backpack, also in green, that Buster is carrying on long hikes, which makes it handy for enough water to go around in the desert. My dogs are my partners this year accompanying me on a challenge to hike 1,000 miles, and we’re at mile 568. They are the best company. Our travels are more localized than yours, but I know you appriciate seeing the world not only through your own perspective, but an animal’s, too. Thank you for being a wonderful, useful, and entertaining resource. If you make it to El Paso, I’d love to hike with you!

Thumb up 0 Thumb down 0

• July 27, 2011 7:19 pmPosted 2 years ago
      Buster and Ty

Hi Abby! Thank you so much for stopping by and for your kind words. You would like our kind of people! We’re planning to spend some time in Austin this winter – I’m not sure if we’ll go through El Paso or not, but if we do going on a hike would be fantastic. We post about where we’re heading on our Facebook, so if you’re on there give us a shout when we’re within striking range. Woof!

-Ty and Buster

Thumb up 0 Thumb down 0

• July 27, 2011 7:18 amPosted 2 years ago
    MelF

Love the Buster and Ty commentary! Obviously Buster would be happy hiking all day, but you got to hand it to Ty, sometimes just taking in the view is worth it. Gonna get to Sedona someday soon!

Thumb up 0 Thumb down 0

• July 27, 2011 12:11 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Sue

Love Sedona sooo much!!!

Thumb up 0 Thumb down 0

• August 5, 2012 8:35 pmPosted 1 year ago
    beading jewelry

Tremendous things here. I am very happy to look your post. Thanks so much and I am having a look ahead to contact you. Will you please drop me a e-mail?

Thumb up 0 Thumb down 0