The Saturday Pet Blogger Hop: Baboons Kidnap and Raise Feral Dogs as Pets

A brief yet fascinating clip from the TV series Animals Like Us gives us a closer look at one of nature’s more unique inter-species partnerships.

[divider]

Saturday Pet Blogger Hop

Happy Saturday, and welcome to another installment of the Saturday Pet Blogger Hop! You’ve found the right place to connect with other pet lovers. Whether you are a seasoned blogger, one who loves reading pet blogs, or if you’re just thinking about starting your own blog – there is definitely something here for you. Acquaint yourself and enjoy – this is your resource, so use it as you see fit! Of course, you have to follow the rules, so let’s get to that. Get those links in and have fun.

• Link up your pet blog name and URL using the Linky Tool below. You only need to add your link once to be seen on all the Saturday Pet Blogger Blog Hop Linky Tools for that week. Note that if your blog is not pet related your link will be removed. Also note that only one post per blog is acceptable, and links promoting giveaways that are unrelated to the pet blogger hop will be removed. This is a community building exercise and not a promotional vehicle – please treat it as such.
  • Grab the “Saturday Pet Blogger Blog Hop” button on the right hand side of this site and include it in your Saturday Blog hop post so that your readers will know what is going on. *Note – posting is optional. Feel free to just link and follow.
  • Follow your co-hosts listed in the first 3 slots of the Linky Tool.
  • Follow as many other blogs on the linky as you’d like.
  • Take a moment to comment on the blogs telling them you’re from the blog hop.
  • Follow back when you get a new follower through the Saturday Pet Blogger Hop.
  • Make friends and grow. ♥

*note – if your blog is hosted on WordPress please use this alternate code that will work without javascript.

Related posts

• August 6, 2011 12:10 amPosted 3 years ago
    houndstooth

That’s a bit odd! I kept wondering why they’d have to keep kidnapping puppies. Wouldn’t the puppies born to the dogs that live with them stay with the pack?

• August 6, 2011 12:36 amPosted 3 years ago
      MelF

I wondered the same thing Carrie!

• August 6, 2011 12:19 amPosted 3 years ago
    MelF

Wow. I’m not going to deny it, at first I was completely horrified by the puppy being dragged around by the baboon, but I chose to stick with the video until the end and then I really was fascinated. I have never once heard of this before. Ever. Can you post what channel this series is airing? I think I want to see more.
    An interesting way to kick off the blog hop!

• August 6, 2011 10:19 amPosted 3 years ago
    jansfunnyfarm

Never would have guessed baboons do this.

August 6, 2011 11:17 amPosted 3 years ago
    Charlie Fippin

That is HORRIBLE!!

August 6, 2011 11:56 amPosted 3 years ago
    Gina

Poor puppy :(

• August 6, 2011 12:32 pmPosted 3 years ago
    Nancy Freedman-Smith (@Gooddogz)

wow! Fascinating! Cave man dog trainers. Did you see that pup get alpha rolled?

• August 6, 2011 2:14 pmPosted 3 years ago
    martin cain

that was some incredible footage.once again preconceived ideas get turned on their heads.the sunset footage was so primeaval and idyllic.

August 6, 2011 7:18 pmPosted 3 years ago
    Billi

I cringed when I saw the baboon drag the poor puppy across the rocks. At the first sound of the puppy’s yelps all three of my dogs jumped up, looks of concern on their faces. Nero began to yip and started to look for the source of the distress sign. (His expression was priceless when he realized it came from my little black book). Like Houndstooth and Mel I wondered why the baboons keep kidnapping pups, there were evidently several females who had just whelped. Would be interesting to find out if the baboons kidnap at random or go for a specific kind of puppy, based on look and scent. Baboons as primitive dog breeders? Maybe a glimpse into our own past.

August 8, 2011 2:59 pmPosted 3 years ago
    mmttw

Also horrified when the puppy was yelping, but it was kind of cool to see how they ended up all one big happy family. Score another one for dogs, and how accepting they are :) .

August 12, 2011 4:06 pmPosted 3 years ago
    Tammy

I agree with the majority here, horror at first, than fascinated.