Family Adopts Dog, Dog Saves Family

After a life of uncertainty, a Saint Bernard from Ohio found a forever home – and thanked his new family by coming to their rescue just a few short hours after his adoption.

Rubert and Elizabeth Littler adopted the 135-pound dog from the Highland County Dog Pound last week. He was found wandering by  hikers in October and was in rough shape, bleeding from multiple injuries and dehydrated. A vet said he was likely attacked by a coyote.

The Littlers adopted the dog with the intention of fostering him until he was healthy. They assumed he would be moving on to a new home in the near future, but now say there is no way ‘Hercules’ is going anywhere. That’s because less than six hours after coming home, Hercules came to the rescue of his adoptive family.

Rubert Littler told The Times-Gazette that he was taking Hercules outside Wednesday night when the dog uttered a low growl before charging through a screen door. Rupert was stunned as he watched Hercules chase an intruder out of their basement. The burglar ran, but the angry canine caught up to him and manged to sink a few teeth into the man’s ankle as he jumped a fence before making his escape. Police investigated the break-in and noticed that the home’s phone and cable lines had been cut, an indication that the thief meant business. They believe he was unnerved by the element of surprise when faced with an attacking dog.

While the Littlers are obviously shaken by the experience, they say they owe a massive debt of gratitude to Hercules. And even though they already have a very full house with four dogs of their own, they say they are gladly making permanent room in their home and their hearts for their brave adopted hero.

Comments

1. Mazi's Mommy says on  11/12/2011 at 8:13 pm

God was with the dog and the family.That’s why he put the dog where he was needed.

• Donna Gann says on  11/13/2011 at 10:35 am

you are so right, each dog is placed with the perfect family. Sometimes you don’t know this but God does. Each of my dogs have found me and picked me…

• Anonymous says on  11/15/2011 at 9:45 am

Nonsense. About god and about perfect families. If my original family was perfect, I’d still be with them.

• Anonymous says on  11/23/2011 at 2:16 pm

Why in the world can’t you just be thankful that this dog has a home!!!!!! My family certainly isn’t perfect either but, that doesn’t mean you should put other people down just because this wonderful dog was meant to be with them.

2. Tracey says on  11/12/2011 at 11:17 pm

I am so glad that Hercules got a home. I hope that more people will open their hearts and homes to more animals. My husband and I rescued our dogs one has passed on but we still the other and she is a healthy and active twelve year old “puppy.” The one who passed on was the best watch dog. He was also good with kids and the family but he did not like strangers coming around and a lot people said that they would not want him after them. Rescue dogs really are the most loyal and loving pets. What a great story.

3. WheatenLuvr says on  11/13/2011 at 2:24 am

Speechless……unbelievable :-)

4. Nicki says on  11/13/2011 at 6:54 am

Just amazing. Not just a dog – a guardian angel sent!!!

5. Janet says on  11/14/2011 at 6:26 am

aw wow!!! wot a fab dog,totally earnt his keep within hours of arriving with this family,makes me think how grateful he was to be in a loving forever home and how he was obviously destined for them 😀 😀 LOVE IT!!!

6. Ness says on  11/14/2011 at 9:49 am

that dog saved your butts. yep, he’s a keeper for sure. phone lines being cut, that is scary.

7. Anonymous says on  11/14/2011 at 12:04 pm

And the dog knew this was not a friend or family member exactly how? He just got there, right? It worked out well but I would be cautious about his response to visitors.

• Anonymous says on  11/14/2011 at 1:00 pm

dogs can smell fear…it’s a chemical. he smelled it from that man, and knew something wasn’t right

8. Roger says on  11/14/2011 at 1:28 pm

Awwww Thank G-D For Hercules!!!!

9. Sandy Clary says on  11/14/2011 at 2:28 pm

You will never be sorry that you have decided to keep Hercules. I totally disagree with the person who said to beware of a stranger-when my Granddaughter was born we had a Saint Bernard-we were totally worried about how he would deal with the baby-well, he adopted her- he watched her every move and made sure that she was okay. I have had two Saints and they are wonderful-they are smart enough to know who is okay and who isn’t-a lot of their reaction to strangers comes from their humans-if their humans have concerns about someone then so will the Saint-in fact most every dog is that way and I wouldnt have it any other way. This big guy deserves to stay in the home that God and he have chosen for him.

10. Jordan says on  11/14/2011 at 3:30 pm

Amazing story! I’m so happy for Hercules finding a home. He’s a brave dog, that family is lucky.

11. Anonymous says on  11/14/2011 at 4:07 pm

“they already have 4 other dogs of their own” soooo, where were the other 4 dogs when this guy was coming IN the house???

12. Debra Bowers says on  11/18/2011 at 2:16 pm

Awesome! Totally Awesome!

13. Anonymous says on  11/18/2011 at 7:57 pm

what i find interesting is the family had 4 other dogs who apparently were unaware of the “visitor”

the dog who had only been in the house a few hours knew that person did not belong.

14. Anonymous says on  11/23/2011 at 11:31 pm

Boy oh boy Anonymous, are you just a jealous person or what? If you want a dog to save your life so you can be the center of attention, by all means go and adopt one! You do not have to try to hog attention from a message board online! I do believe you think what you’re saying to be gospel but geez, I don’t think any of us are listening anymore! lol