Disabled Man and Dog Begin New Life Together

There is intentional irony in this dog’s name, and Lucky is just that: having survived a gunshot to the spine and being run over by a car, this happy Denver, Colorado canine is starting a new life in a new home – a perfectly suited one at that.

Lucky was recently fitted for a new wheel chair after being left partially paralyzed by the car accident. He spent some time in the care of Royal Rescue, an area non-profit, before a new home was found for him. Before he could meet his new owner, however, Lucky required more than a little TLC.

“We’ve been doing molecular therapy with him, laser treatment, massage, swimming and he’s been on a lot of medication because he came with tapeworm, whipworm and a lot of internal infections,” Jules Hill said.

Hill is responsible for nursing Lucky back to health after rescuing him from a pen in Missouri. Left to fend for himself, the dog was forced to drag himself whenever he needed to move. Hill said the new wheelchair has done wonders to help him get around.

Maneuvering in and out of his new home will be a snap for lucky, because it’s already wheelchair accessible: like Lucky, his new owner, 16-year-old David Cramer, is wheelchair-bound.

“I have spinal bifida and cannot move my legs,” Cramer said. “He’s got special needs just like I am,” Cramer said. “I’ve been in a wheelchair my whole life, pretty much.”

Despite his quiet demeanor, there is a perceptible change in Cramer when he discusses his new partner. He lights up when talking about Lucky, and it’s apparent that this is a partnership for life. As the pair lean on each other for support, and strike out on new adventures together, Cramer and Lucky will be rolling in style – in new, matching blue wheelchairs purchased in celebration of Lucky’s homecoming.

Jules Hill says she couldn’t have found a more suitable match for the dog she saved, and the man who has been waiting a lifetime to meet him agrees.

Cramer said receiving the dog and knowing he had found an empathetic companion was a life changing experience. “Thank you very much,” he said, weeping. ” I’m happy I got him,” Cramer said.

Related posts

January 31, 2012 10:36 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Ruth Elledge

I was the person who first found Lucky in the pen in southern Missouri, rescued him and sent him to Royal Rescue in Colorado. I continue to maintain contact with them and they have kept me updated on his progress as I am sure his new family will do.

• January 31, 2012 10:52 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Handicapped Pets

Thank you for sharing the inspiring story of Lucky and David. We are honored to have the Walkin’ Wheels dog wheelchair assist Lucky in living a happy, healthy, active life with his new family.

February 1, 2012 9:34 amPosted 2 years ago
    Tracey

Bless them both. I am glad that they have each other.

February 1, 2012 1:24 pmPosted 2 years ago
    MONICA

This just mad me cry happy tears – Lucky and David – two wonderful, beautiful souls that were destined for eachother!

May 26, 2012 4:18 amPosted 2 years ago
    abraham pearson

i also have a dog named lucky. im divorced with no kids except my lucky she is the love of my life and unfortunately she is now 13 years old with arthritis and barely able to walk anymore.i dont think that there is anything on this earth that i wouldnt do to keep her around for a while longer providing shes not in pain.i would trade off many of the assholes of the world for her and many other dogs and cats out there.i just wish that god had created theanimals to live alot longer than they do.they are the ones that make us the happiest in life and then theyre gone so soon.anyhow ive said my peace but before i sign off i have a skill testing question for those people in this world that can hate a dog but profess to love god .spell dog backwards .compared to my lucky they may just want to kill themselves which would be such a good thing.if only some of them could get to see this article it would finally make them know how little they are worth especially the ones that are cruel to animals.those are the ones that

October 19, 2012 9:25 pmPosted 1 year ago
    Connie

Such a heart warming story! I’m very happy Lucky has a new home. It’s a shame that Ruth Elledge, the kind person who actually rescued Lucky from the horrible situation, was not mentioned in the article. The article reads as if Ms. Hill went to Missouri, found the dog, and took him home.

January 2, 2014 3:31 amPosted 9 months ago
      Anonymous

Lucky never left the hospital in MO. He was there for about 5 days. Ruth Elledge said she could not take him home and wanted the rescue to take him ASAP. Unfortunately where Lucky had stayed and was cared for the best they could, were harassed by Ruth Elledge which resulted in the Animal Sanctuary taking legal action against RE and she runs an organization.