Orphaned Fox & Dog Become Best Friends

A rare and precious friendship reminiscent of The Fox & the Hound is making headlines the world over as animal lovers delight at the unlikely love story of Anuska and Sadie.

Anuska and her siblings were orphaned when their mother was run over by a car. A farmer rescued them from the side of the road and raised them in his home for a few weeks – in the company of his Labradors.

The farmer eventually found homes for all of them, and Anuska was taken in by Brian Bevan and his wife, Jacky.

The couple says Anuska and their dog Sadie bonded immediately, and have become inseparable.  They share walks together, and Brian Bevan says that  Anuska has become obsessed with playing fetch – the eight-month-old is already matching Sadie’s speed.

Anuska and Sadie will live out their days together, perhaps not as nature intended, but in an unusually adorable partnership formed by chance.

all images © Brian Bevan/Caters

Related posts

February 28, 2012 8:10 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Karlena

Lol Copper and Todd?

• February 28, 2012 8:18 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Carolyn

You can tell in the photos that she thinks she is a dog! Cute!

• February 28, 2012 8:45 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Lori

the power of friendship

• February 28, 2012 8:46 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Jennifer

Wait didn’t copper get killed in that book?

February 28, 2012 8:49 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Heidi B.

very cool

February 28, 2012 9:01 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Dayla

Great story. I love foxes.

February 28, 2012 9:04 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Valerie

Tod and Copper!!

February 28, 2012 10:13 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Christine

^^^^^Was going to say just that! Fox and the Hound :-D

• February 28, 2012 11:16 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Sandra

So does the dog end up smelling like a fox or vice versa? I hope it’s fox smells like a dog.

February 29, 2012 10:21 amPosted 2 years ago
    SSB Pack

It is no surprise to me that these two have become fast friends. After all, they both belong to the family Canidae. I hope the Bevans remain vigilant on keeping Anuska safe since many people may not understand that she is a member of their family.

Many years ago when my mother was a little girl growing up on a farm in Iowa my grandmother rescued many injured and abandoned wildlife species, one of which was a little red fox just like Anuska. He too played with their dogs and was a member of their family. My grandmother told me that he loved to stretch out on their large porch with the rest of her dogs and “sun bathe” in the warmth of the afternoon. Sadly, one day a neighbor happened by who did not know my grandmother’s little red fox was a much loved member of their family and shot him! on her porch! He actually thought my grandmother would be grateful to him for “killing the nuisance fox.” My grandmother was enraged and heartbroken. I have remembered this story from my grandmother all my life and always grow angry thinking of this ignorant neighbor. But, I credit my grandmother for imprinting on me, at a very young age, a love of animals both domestic and wild and the enormous personal responsibility we all must have in defending their welfare.

Lovely story, I wish the best for Anuska, Sadie and the Bevan family.

February 29, 2012 11:18 amPosted 2 years ago
    Paula

That is an adorable story! I agree with SSB Pack. Please take all precautions that Anuska is not mistaken for a wild fox. Let neighbors and friends know she is part of their family and always keep a close eye on her. Thank-you, Bevin family for taking in thsi sweet little fox and giving her a home!!

February 29, 2012 6:55 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Tracey

Oh so cute. What a wonderful pair! The people who helped the little foxes are pretty great!

March 1, 2012 12:47 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Anonymous

I wonder who will provide Vet service for the fox? Imagining the fox sitting patiently at the Vets waiting room lol!