Gorham, NY Bans Puppy Mills

The Gorham, NY Town Board voted unanimously last night to impose a one year moratorium on all new dog breeding and dog kenneling facilities.

The ban was prompted by nationwide opposition to a plan that would have allowed for a commercial dog-breeding facility in the town. As news of the proposed facility spread, the town was inundated with letters, e-mails and calls from angry protesters.

4446 Route 247, Gorham, NY

Curtis and Jolene Martin had sought permission to move their dog-breeding business from a rented property in Varick to a 20-acre parcel they had purchased in Gorham.

Mary Hauman, 63, of Benton, said she was relieved that the town adopted the moratorium.

“I’m just glad they are approaching this rationally and sanely,” said Hauman, who is opposed to the Martins’ plan.

The law will prohibit any modifications to existing breeding facilities in the town and will prevent conversion of the proposed facility that prompted the moratorium. The county had already advised against adopting the plan over safety and watershed-quality concerns.

The law will go into effect after it is filed with state officials. Violators could face a fine of $250 or 15 days in jail.

1. Thank you for publishing this! And thanks to the Gorham, NY Town Board for being brave humanitarians and listening to their residents! We worked so hard to see this day and VICTORY IS OURS! Bravo puppy mill warriors!

2. YEA–one for our side

3. Lindsey says on  03/22/2012 at 7:58 pm

this is amazing news!

4. Carol says on  03/22/2012 at 7:59 pm

5. Bobbi says on  03/22/2012 at 7:59 pm

So awesome!!!!

6. Deborah says on  03/22/2012 at 7:59 pm

Yayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!! <3

7. Amanda says on  03/22/2012 at 7:59 pm

At least for a year…

8. Tami says on  03/22/2012 at 7:59 pm

9. Happy Dance! Wagging Tails! YaY!

10. The fines should be a lot more but its a start!

11. Joe says on  03/22/2012 at 8:01 pm

12. Deb says on  03/22/2012 at 8:02 pm

This is wonderful but what is the status of their existing torture breeding facility in Varick. NY.

13. Kirsi says on  03/22/2012 at 8:02 pm

toivottavasti eivät saa tätä aluetta itselleen PENTUTEHTAILUUN!!!!!!!

14. FANTABULOUS well done everyone.

15. That’s Great!

16. If we just do more!

17. Kimberly says on  03/22/2012 at 8:05 pm

18. I hope the whole country will adopt this policy

19. Jessie says on  03/22/2012 at 8:05 pm

now they just need to turn them down everywhere else too

20. Sallyann says on  03/22/2012 at 8:07 pm

A small victory in a much larger war…we need to stay on top if this and make sure a year from now the vote doesn’t change. For the moment though we can celebrate the achievement.

21. Melissa says on  03/22/2012 at 8:11 pm

Happy puppy tail wag! Love it! One step at a time!

22. Anonymous says on  03/22/2012 at 8:11 pm

I know I’m getting flamed for this.. I’m all for getting rid of puppy mills. But I’m also for individual liberty. I think the proper way to go about this is to educate people on puppy mills and try to curb demand for their puppies. I don’t think begging the government and adding more regulations and laws is the way to go about this. I’m sure some of the same folks saying YAY were some of the same folks wagging their finger at the city last week for not letting ppl keep their four dogs. You can’t have more govt and not have less liberty.

• Val says on  03/23/2012 at 1:39 pm

yeah I really have quite a bit of mixed thought on this as well. The more we want government to lean hard on SO CALLED PUPPY MILLS, I also find it a little disturbing that they also want to come down hard on people who have a few more dogs then local city bylaws will let you have. My city recently changed from a two animal limit to a four animal limit which I thank my lucky stars four as I would have been two dogs over the limit. But because we had the city almagamate outer lying towns into one big city, their were many differences in the local bylaws governing how many pets. One city was allowed four another city was allowed two and others still were allowed up to five depending on which side of the road they were on when it came to city limits or acrerage .So to try and keep everyone happy they agreed to have four per household, which for me was good as we were only two per household. But also when ever you want to get government involved in these matter it also give them an opening into small private breeders and can cause them a lot of problems as well. We can’t have it both ways without something being hurt. Individual rights get stepped on. And everyone out there who does not want to lose their beloved pet, or have lost a pet and is looking for a new puppy, they also need to know that laws that hurt puppy millers also hurt respected breeders, and if they want to be able to have a new pet down the road, they need to remember that someone out there has to be able to breed in order for them to acquire a new beloved pet. That’s all that I have to say on the matter.

23. Amy says on  03/22/2012 at 8:12 pm

We all rock! Stay involved, everyone! Public pressure works!

24. That is terrific!! I hope the same fight against puppy mills happens up here.;)

25. Yippeeeeeeeeeeee!!! My mill rescue and I are THRILLED!!! This is the best news I’ve gotten all day (found out I had an abscess and had to have a root canal).

26. Yay!!!!!

27. Please keep going!

28. Maria says on  03/22/2012 at 8:25 pm

Absolutely FABULOUS!!! I’m so very happy to hear this!

29. We dont need mass breeding, when there are so many pups in shelters all over that need good homes…..mills should be outlawed everywhere!

30. Thank DOG!

31. Cindy says on  03/22/2012 at 8:27 pm

32. Marianne says on  03/22/2012 at 8:30 pm

way to go!!

33. Caterina says on  03/22/2012 at 8:49 pm

Right on!

34. Good news! God willing, at the end of the year a FOREVER BAN will be enacted!

35. Donna says on  03/22/2012 at 9:01 pm

Yay for the ban on puppy mills!!!

36. Yes! It is nice to see someone listened! I still can’t believe puppy mills are legal anywhere in the USA.

37. good for them! bout itme.

38. The moratorium is for 1 year and can be brought up again , I am only about 15 miles from Gorham , so please keep fighting these puppy mills nationwide so its not allowed anywhere.

39. Baylee says on  03/22/2012 at 9:18 pm

Look For the Lower Case ‘L’ And You
    Will Be Kissed Tomorrow:
    The Q And Your Wish Will Come
    True: … … … …
    *This Is Really Hard, Now Find The ‘N':
    *Now Find The Mistake:
    *Something You Really Want, After
    the countdown!!!!! 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1
    Now Close Your Eyes And Make A
    Wish! ;*;*;*;*;*;* Now Paste This On 9
    pages And Your Wish Will Come True!
    Hurry, You Have 20 minutes! Or What
    You Wished For Will Be The Opposite

40. Yay! Will share this news with my two rescue dogs!

41. Anonymous says on  03/22/2012 at 9:35 pm

This is wonderful. Wish other boards would do the same thing. Please support shelters. I was at one this afternoon and my heart breaks to see the sad but hopeful faces. One of mine came from there last week and she’s a perfect dog. Why anyone would dump her is beyond me. Please let’s stop puppy mills so there will be no more homeless and forgotten dogs.