Conquering Ear Infections in Dogs

Otitis externa – inflammation of the outer ear canal, the most common form of ear disease in dogs, is usually infectious and almost always secondary to an underlying problem.

ot/o – ear

-itis – inflammation

-externa – outer

Otitis externa is very common in dogs.  Some breeds are more prone to ear infections than others.  It is commonly suspected, though not proven, that floppy ears may be generally more predisposed to becoming infected than upright ears, though this may also be linked to breed disposition.  For example, three of the more common breeds to suffer from ear infections are Cocker Spaniels, Golden Retrievers and Labrador Retrievers, all of whom also have floppy ears.

Otitis externa in dogs can be strictly inflammatory with no infectious component, secondary to a foreign body such as a splinter or weed seed, secondary to ear mites (uncommon in dogs) or caused by a bacterial or yeast overgrowth.

Clinical signs of possible otitis externa:

• pain
  • itchiness
  • redness of the underside of the ear flap and ear canal
  • dark or yellow debris in the ear canal
  • a foul smell to the ear
  • lethargy
  • decreased appetite
  • head shaking
  • face rubbing or pawing

Have your veterinarian check your dog if you notice any of these signs.  The key to treating a first ear infection is to attack it hard and for the appropriate length of time.  Clean the ears or have them cleaned very well.  Follow your vet’s instructions for cleaning and medicating at home.  In many cases – though it is the minority of cases – dogs will have a single ear infection, recover completely and never suffer a second ear infection.

The key to treating a second or chronic ear infection is to determine the underlying cause, while also addressing the ear infection directly.  The most common cause of recurrent or chronic ear infections is allergies.

Types of allergies that may predispose to otitis:

• flea allergy
  • contact/environmental allergies
  • food allergies
Other Risk Factors for developing otitis:
  • breed predisposition
  • moisture in the ear canal
  • excess hair in the ear canal
  • excess debris in the ear canals
  • hypothyroidism
  • immune conditions
Otitis and Joy the Puppy

Our own Joy the Puppy has an allergy to chicken.  She is a three year old spayed female Lab-Something.  We diagnosed her condition one year ago with a full skin work-up to rule out other causes of her itchiness followed by a six week novel protein diet in which her signs – hair loss, itchiness and allergic otitis – resolved completely. When we reintroduced proteins, one at a time for a week at a time, she “flared,” became very itchy, with the reintroduction of chicken.

She is on a novel protein diet, which has successfully controlled her allergy signs.  If she is exposed to chicken (most often from stealing Max the Cat’s food!), the first sign that manifests is allergic otitis.  Her ears turn bright red and become very itchy.  Chronic ear issues can be so frustrating – I hope just knowing that chronic ear issues can often be successfully managed as is the case with Joy the Puppy is encouraging.

See full size image

May your dog never suffer a single ear infection, and if he does, may it be the only one, and if it is not, may the underlying cause be successfully found and managed.

1. Unfortunately I did know that b/c my golden has allergies and you guessed it–is prone to ear infections.

2. Tea tree oil helps (as a cleaner I mean, not to treat once they have it)>

3. Yes! Oneof my dogs has chicken allergies and until we knew that, I could not figure out why the constant ear infections.

4. Erika says on  04/16/2012 at 2:01 pm

Mostly food allergies!

5. Yvonne says on  04/16/2012 at 2:03 pm

Thanks for the link. I have a furchild with constant ear infections. I am trying different brands of sensitive skin dog food now.

6. Many of my animals have had allergies but its been more the cats than the dogs.

7. Food allergies, in particular, is what 1 vet told me. My dog had chronic ear infections until I started feeding her a wheat and gluten free diet. We have now gone 3 years ear infection free.

8. yep

9. Bára says on  04/16/2012 at 2:06 pm

I wished we knew when we had our first dog years ago, poor girl had terrible ear infection her whole life :/

10. Ellen says on  04/16/2012 at 2:09 pm

Feeding long eared dogs like beagles a few tablespoons of plain yogurt a day helps keep the infections at bay.

11. Gave our Boston Terrier allergy shots for years. Had infections until we figured it out.

12. What do you feed a dog that has a chicken allergy?

13. Karen says on  04/16/2012 at 2:12 pm

This is very true! We couldn’t figure out why both of my labs kept getting ear infections and now they were both diagnosed with allergies and are both taking allergy medicine twice a day.

14. Karlena says on  04/16/2012 at 2:13 pm

Our SamSam (black lab/Bassett Hound) always had really bad ear problems and finally about a year ago and after YEARS of trying everything our vet decided to try something new and HOLY CRAP it worked! I don’t remember what it’s called but he’s only had to go have it done 1 other time…and shes so much happier and healthier now!

15. My two boys had ear infections. Simple remedy. Clean each ear carefully, gently with Q TIPS. Use as many as you need. Mix white vinegar 1/3 + 2/3 distilled water. Shake that stuff. Apply 3 drops, in each ear, rub the back of the ear, the dog will shake the head to discard… do that 3 times per day… for a week.

16. Karlena says on  04/16/2012 at 2:13 pm

(SHE not HE)!

17. Mine has a chicken allergy and I feed him lamb and rice. He had a horrible ear infection and his vet said he an allergy to chicken, turkey, duck, beef etc, so I gave him some meds and changed his diet and he is fine now. If I slip and give him a taste of some of those, his ears start to itch again

18. We switched to a limited ingredient salmon and potato food by blue buffalo, no problems since.

19. In South Africa we only have Eukanuba it is a fish and potatoe diet.

20. Rose says on  04/16/2012 at 2:22 pm

I had a dog who got ear infections constantly. She always had this brown stinky goop in her ears. She also smelled like stinky feet, usually within hours of a bath. She would dig at her ears, and lick her feet constantly. The vet we were going to kept giving us ear drops and ear wash, different meds for yeast infections, medicated shampoo, etc…nothing worked. We spent thousands of dollars, and a lot of time at the vet…this went on for almost 2 years…. We went to a new vet who I told the symptoms, did some tests, and it came back that she had allergies. He started giving her a shot, which lasted 3 months at a time. The shots were a godsend. Her ears cleared up, she stopped licking her feet, and didn’t smell anymore. We knew the shots were wearing off when she would start to lick her feet. (Just wanted to share in case someone else is experiencing this same thing.)

21. Kim says on  04/16/2012 at 2:27 pm

thank you from two dogs I know who needed this info! :) Big Dog kisses to you for bringing it to them!

22. Jada Hope says on  04/16/2012 at 2:29 pm

My old Iceobel suffered ear infections and severe allergies. She was on prednisone a lot and developed diabetes and cushings disease from it. Beware!

23. Michele L says on  04/16/2012 at 2:31 pm

Holly Presgrave – you may want to read this

24. Louise says on  04/16/2012 at 2:50 pm

Our previous bull terrier had terrible ear problems & had to have them flushed out frequently. Changed his food & gave him propolis daily & had no more problems. Also got him off all vets meds for his arthritis & that helped as well

25. Anonymous says on  05/01/2012 at 10:37 pm

I use ABN Ear Cure – cures bacterial, fungal & viral. No more vet visits here either! Woo hoo!

26. Hi there, You’ve performed a great job. I will definitely digg it and individually suggest to my friends. I’m confident they’ll be benefited from this website.

27. I used to be recommended this website by way of my cousin. I am not positive whether this post is written via him as nobody else realize such special about my trouble. You are wonderful! Thank you!

28. Our dog is one that suffers one ear infection after the next. Been to many vets and had extensive and expensive ear cleanings done too. Vets tried presciptions and allergy meds, special diets and more but his problems kept persisting.
    Went looking for alternative dog ear treatment and found a remedy that is helping control his ear conditions. Found it at http:/ , Dr Dogs Ear Oil was the answer for us
    Maybe it can be helpful for someone else too. Ear infections in dogs are painful for the dogs AND the owners too