Mother's Labor Eased by Service Dog

On Friday, April 13th at 5:22 p.m. Laura Hulsing gave birth to Noah Fredrick Hulsing-Drymon who weighed 7 pounds, 13 ounces and was 18 inches long. This was no ordinary delivery.  Not only did Laura have her family and physician, Heidi Arnold, MD with her as she welcomed Noah into this world: Autumn, her companion and service dog, also welcomed Noah.

Autumn, a service dog, with newborh Noah Fredrick Hulsing-Drymon and his parents, Laura Hulsing and Jason Drymon, in the Baby Suites at the Women's Center at Brandon Regional Hospital. Credit Courtesy Brandon Regional Hospital

Autumn has been servicing Laura for five years for post traumatic stress disorder.  “When I was eighteen, I experienced a life changing event that resulted in post traumatic stress disorder,” explains Laura.  “Because of the incident, I tried to constantly prove to myself that I was not afraid of people and situations so I would attend business and marketing networking sessions all the time.  By 3 p.m. every afternoon, I was exhausted and would have to go to bed.  Trying to constantly prove myself took its toll.”

At one these networking sessions, Laura met a women by the name of Pam Halley.  After speaking with Laura, Pam invited Laura out to visit her organization, K9 for Veterans.  K9 is a not-for-profit organization created by Pam and Mike Halley that provides disabled veterans and solders with service dogs for various disorders.  The disorders can include balance issues, diabetes, seizures, traumatic brain injury and post traumatic stress disorder.  Autumn has been Laura’s companion for five years.

Due to the post traumatic stress disorder, Laura suffers from severe anxiety.  Autumn watches Laura very carefully in public situations and will move to her side and watch as people pass, providing comfort and security.  “I was nervous about having Autumn in the hospital, especially the delivery room, because it was going to be a very stressful time for me and Autumn would see that,” expresses Laura.  “I spoke with the nursing staff at the hospital and for a few months before delivery, we brought Autumn to the hospital to get her used to the environment.  She met many people and we even had booties made so her nails would not make as much noise when she walked on the floor.”

For the last six months Autumn has been very protective of Laura, following her from the bed to the restroom and back in the middle of the night.  Laura still wondered how she would be in the delivery room during labor.  She worked very hard during labor to stay calm.  The trainer, who was also in the room with Autumn, told Laura that Autumn was good and it was ok to express her feelings, so she listened and began to express her feelings. At this, Autumn walked over to her bedside and offered comfort and when Laura felt calm again, Autumn returned to the trainer.  It was not until Noah began to appear that Autumn sat up and took notice of him.

Autumn stayed with Laura through her stay in The Baby Suites at Brandon Regional Hospital and would offer comfort when needed.  She has allowed Laura to be a mom to baby Noah, but also gives Laura comfort.   The dog was attentive as to who was coming in and out of the room and would often go to Laura’s bedside.

“I take no pills for anxiety.  Autumn is trained to know me and my body.  She not only watches me but she also anticipates when an anxiety attack may come and warns me.  She becomes aware of the situations that may trigger it and because of her, I am independent.”

• April 20, 2012 7:59 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Jennifer

i wish princess nellie could be a service dog and go with me everywhere….

• April 20, 2012 8:03 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Genesis

Dogs are awesome creatures.

April 20, 2012 8:04 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Randi

Fabulous!!!!!

• April 20, 2012 8:06 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Becky

That’s a new one. I’m always amazed at what new things dogs do for us :)

• April 20, 2012 8:09 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Eunice

Loyal and dedicated — no matter what the situation is.

• April 20, 2012 8:12 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Rhonda

pet therepy is amazing..and i think its wonderful that she chose no pills for her anxiety

April 20, 2012 8:18 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Patti

I suffer from the same due to PTSD and my dog helps me through it all every time but she is not a legal working dog,,i tried to get her to be recognized as one but channels said NO! so if i have to go in public with out her i have to be with someone or i don’t go,,,

• April 20, 2012 8:21 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Madelon

Amazing story ~ amazing dog!

• April 20, 2012 8:23 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Marsha

that wonderful,but i hope you let this sweet dog have time to just be a dog!!and not have to work 24/7

• April 20, 2012 9:21 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Harrelyn

U can always count on your dog. More than many people

April 20, 2012 9:33 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Tena

Marsha~service dogs aren’t like cattle dogs or other working dogs you think of. We do play with our dogs but WE have to be the ones or our families. People think working dogs are like little slaves~people will tell you most of us spoil our service dogs more than a grandparent with a first time grandchild. Patti Jones~check every possible avenue. If you have PTSD check with your counselor, your psychaitrist, and every state office you can. I have service dogs and was recently denied access to our local court house. My dogs are tiny and for my PTSD and the other for my heart and B/P. I can’t be medicated so I’m excused from court appearances.

April 20, 2012 9:51 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Karen

My Husband’s Golden Retriever Dusty got Larry through many hours of severe pain and emotional upset. They were constantly together. Dusty died Christmas Eve 2008 and my Husband sadly 20 days after I lost my job took his life in front of Dusty’s grave. :( Yes therapy dogs are very IMPORTANT! :)

• April 20, 2012 9:55 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Tracey

Oh My Karen, That is horrible. I’m so sorry. I love my dog so much and I don’t know what I would do without her. I’m so sorry for both of your losses. Actually all 3 of your losses counting your job.

• April 20, 2012 10:01 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Patti

Service dogs are awesome.

April 21, 2012 11:15 amPosted 2 years ago
    Cheryl

Sorry, I have a real problem with people who dress their infants in clothes like it’s a little play doll. Infants belong in soft warm clothing, not scratchy stiff clothes. Their skin is sensitive.

The dog is great.

April 21, 2012 2:26 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Anonymous

Really youre concerned about the clothes the baby is wearing? Did you feel them? How do you know they’re stiff and scratchy??
    It’s wonderful she could have her dog with her! :)