Pet Store Owner Honored for Promoting Adoption

On Mother’s Day weekend, the oldest pet store in Naperville, Illinois will be honored for making the switch from selling dogs to saving them. Greg Gordon, owner of Dog Patch Pet and Feed, will receive the Kindness to Animals Award on Saturday, May 12.

Gordon says the shift has been terrific for business. He’s received calls from numerous pet stores and rescues from as far away as Hawaii – all want to know if he recommends making the change.

Dog Patch Pet and Feed now pulls dogs like Jack from high kill shelters and offers them for adoption.

“When I talk to other store owners, I tell them all to find a rescue to work with. I suggest they interview a bunch and find someone reasonable that gets that you are a retailer and not a 501c3,” says Gordon. “I tell them to make sure that they are not doing these good things alone. It’s important to network, let folks know what you are up to, to let go of any past battles and engage and focus on what they can do.”

The store features adoptable pets from Annie’s Little Angels Small Breed Dog and Cat Rescue. ALA saves dogs and cats from high kill shelters. Gordon says that since making the change, the business has seen an increase in new customers. In January, Dog Patch Pet and Feed sold it’s last puppy. Gordon says there is no going back.

“This is probably the best decision I could have made. We are thrilled to see our own progress as we figure this out,” he said. “We have saved many lives.”

Comments

1. This is awesome! Way to go! :-)

2. YAYAYAYAYAYY!!

3. God Bless him…More pet store owners should do the same exact thing……

4. :)

5. Laurel says on  04/26/2012 at 8:00 pm

Yes great!

6. Awesome! 😀

7. Nicole says on  04/26/2012 at 8:00 pm

Fantastic!

8. Lynette says on  04/26/2012 at 8:01 pm

yay…i am from that area and so happy to hear…gotta share with all my friends and family back home!!

9. Tammy says on  04/26/2012 at 8:01 pm

LIKE LIKE LIKE x a Thousand Times!!! Yeeeaaahhhh :)

10. Sharing!

11. Tracey says on  04/26/2012 at 8:02 pm

Score one for the homebound shelter pets! This is a great story. I love that lives are being saved and that his business has increased. What a positive move in the lives of shelter animals. God bless them all and keep up the good work.

12. Shared this great news.

13. Finally ! A long time coming, hope this a new trend that catchs on.

14. That is wonderful !

15. Sharon says on  04/26/2012 at 8:09 pm

Awesome, awesome awesome!!! I just can’t say that enough! Oh and SHARED!

16. Gloria says on  04/26/2012 at 8:11 pm

How wonderful!!!

17. This man is awesome!!!

18. Kirsten says on  04/26/2012 at 8:14 pm

Wish there were a LOVE button!! I grew up just north of there. This is SOOOOO cool!! =D

19. Lisa says on  04/26/2012 at 8:14 pm

My husband’s and my first dog together was a pet store dog. Then a rescue, then a few from breeders. All of our cats were rescues. I am committed to making sure that all of our future animals are rescues.

20. Well done Gordon!

21. Breeding should be outlawed! So sad that people still need their designer things.

22. Great people!!! Need more like them!

23. John says on  04/26/2012 at 8:21 pm

Bad breeders shoudl be banned from breeding not good ones IMO.

24. I live in naperville and was hoping it was one of the larger of two others. BUT this is still a great step forward.

25. Patricia says on  04/26/2012 at 8:42 pm

Good breeders are not the problem, puppy mills are. Albuquerque banned cats and dogs for sale in pet shops a few years ago – aiming for no-kill. The only dogs and cats for “sale” are those in the very nice retail outlets the shelters now run; they also sell toys and food and are staffed by volunteers. Part of the same law was mandatory spay/neuter, microchipping, and shots. If someone wants to not spay/neuter, they have to pay $100 per pet fee so that helps to keep down backyard breeders. So far, the ordinances are making progress.

26. All breeding needs to stop until the balance is restored and every animal has a loving, fur-ever home. Every new puppy, kitten, foal, etc. that is bred takes a home away from one that is already here and looking for love. Do the math!

27. God Bless him.

28. Cheri says on  04/26/2012 at 8:50 pm

Get REAL PAtricia 19,000 pits on petfinder just yesterday not counting other breads on there how many of them will be saved and how many KILLED do the math ALL BREEDING needs to stop and save and rehome the ones in kill sheters!

29. Anonymous says on  04/26/2012 at 10:41 pm

Look at the face on Jack.How could anyone kill him! Sadly there are a million Jacks.Bless those who save them.

30. Great idea ! Hope it works out well for him.

31. Kristin says on  04/27/2012 at 3:22 pm

This is where I got my little Roxy :) best dog ever xoxo

32. Chris says on  04/27/2012 at 5:21 pm

Excellent! We need more people like you.

33. Teri says on  04/27/2012 at 10:14 pm

this is a giant step in the right direction, I volunteer with some of the most amazing people at a shelter that isn’t no-kill,, its not often that we know of that animals are euthanized for lack of space but they are stretched to the limit, every single animal that is brought to them finds shelter, they have Baby racoons, squirels, turtles birds, bunnies, rats, mice wonder dogs and cats, I hope this trend takes hold and all stores convert, whether a breeder is good or not there is no need for additional animals being brought into the world without finding homes for the dejected, lost and abandoned:) I will promote this! love it

34. courtney says on  04/27/2012 at 11:46 pm

I shop here. These are wonderful people!