Woman Uses CPR to Save Neighbor’s Dog

Two dogs were rescued from a Hastings, MN. house fire Monday, and vets say one of those dogs owes its life to a kind hearted, resourceful neighbor. The home erupted in flames at about 11:30 a.m. Monday. The owners of the property were away at the time, but their two dogs and a rabbit were trapped alone inside.

Tara Mauch performs life saving mouth-to-snout resuscitation on a neighbor's dog after it was overcome with smoke in a house fire. (photo: West Central Tribune)

Firefighters responded quickly, and once the blaze was under control, they entered the building to search for survivors. Huddled in the ashes were the family’s two dogs: one of them was struggling to breathe. Sadly, the rabbit did not survive.

Neighbor Tara Mauch witnessed the rescue, and when firemen came out of the home with the gasping dog in their arms, she took over. While another bystander held the dog, Mauch used mouth-to-snout resuscitation to clear its lungs of smoke. Shortly thereafter, both dogs were transported to a local vet, who said that while mouth-to-mouth is rarely performed on animals, it likely made the difference in this case.

The dog’s grateful owner, Jean Appert, agrees, and says Mauch is a hero. “She probably saved his life,” said Appert. “I’m pretty sure she saved his life.”
Praised for her quick thinking,  Mauch was humble, and said she frequently went out of her way to rescue struggling, lost or injured animals.

“I think you should have love and compassion for all living things — and that includes neighbors,” Mauch explained. “Think of other people as if they were you and your family.”

Comments

1. Michelle says on  April 25, 2012 at 10:00 am

It was in hastings, Minnesota actually. I live in Minnesota

2. Compassion for all things, all living things, what a beautiful thing to have! Yes and yes!!! Love that

3. Anonymous says on  April 25, 2012 at 10:04 am

Thanks Michelle Ooley – we caught it on the site and corrected, but this slipped through the cracks. 😉

4. Michelle says on  April 25, 2012 at 10:08 am

You’re welcome! What an awesome story and thanks for posting.

5. Michele says on  April 25, 2012 at 10:11 am

Awesome! Bless her!!!

6. Yes, Michelle is right, Hastings Minnesota! Great story!!

7. Angels are among us!

8. Wise words.

9. May God bless her!

10. Anonymous says on  April 25, 2012 at 10:35 am

Wonderful article and such a wonderful skill to learn! I’ve learned CPR, but to understand how to use that for your dog is so undershared!

11. good for her

12. More people are needed like this in the world!

13. I once used CPR to save a man’s life. Shortly thereafter, I learned how to do it on dogs. You just never know when it will be needed!

14. Thank YOU Ms. Mauch!!!

15. Anonymous says on  April 25, 2012 at 11:25 am

Taura you are a true hero!

16. Thank you for being a hero and doing something so brave!

17. We all need to know how to perform animal CPR, how loving Ms. Mauch is to all four legged friends, (family)

18. Brooke says on  April 25, 2012 at 12:18 pm

I recently had to do the doggie heimlich on my Pomeranian when he started choking on a treat. I think trainers should take time to teach these skills in obedience classes so more people know what to do when these things happen.

19. We need a zillion more people like her.

20. Cheryl says on  April 25, 2012 at 12:55 pm

Tara – you are one fine example of what all human beings should be. I’d be proud to call you my neighbor and my friend…bless you.

21. I think she did a wonderful thing for someone elses dog. I tried this once with my own dog but unfortunately the vet said her neck was broken.

22. Joni Liljedahl says on  April 27, 2012 at 5:37 pm

What happened to the video? I have been showing it to friends and family members, since Tara is my Niece. Is it possible to get a copy of the video sent to my e-mail address?