Diamond Pet Foods Expands Recall

Diamond Pet Foods is expanding a voluntary recall to include Diamond Puppy Formula dry dog food. The company took this precautionary measure because sampling revealed Salmonella in the product. No dog illnesses have been reported.

Salmonella can affect animals eating the products and there is risk to humans from handling contaminated pet products, especially if they have not thoroughly washed their hands after having contact with the products or any surfaces exposed to these products.

People infected with Salmonella should monitor themselves for some or all of the following symptoms:  nausea, vomiting, diarrhea or bloody diarrhea, abdominal cramping and fever. Rarely, Salmonella can result in more serious ailments, including arterial infections, endocarditis, arthritis, muscle pain, eye irritation, and urinary tract symptoms. Consumers exhibiting these signs after having contact with this product should contact their healthcare providers.

Pets with Salmonella infections may be lethargic and have diarrhea or bloody diarrhea, fever, and vomiting. Some pets will have only decreased appetite, fever and abdominal pain. Infected but otherwise healthy pets can be carriers and infect other animals or humans. If your pet has consumed the recalled product and has these symptoms, please contact your veterinarian.

Only the Diamond Puppy Formula products meeting the following descriptions are recalled:

Description                                             Size      Production Code       Best By Date
Diamond Puppy Formula dry dog food     40 lb.     DPP0401B22XJW     6-Apr-2013
Diamond Puppy Formula dry dog food     40 lb.     DPP0401A21XAW     6-Apr-2013
Diamond Puppy Formula dry dog food     40 lb.     DPP0101C31XME     11-Jan-2013
Diamond Puppy Formula dry dog food     40 lb.     DPP0401B21XDJ      7-Apr-2013
Diamond Puppy Formula dry dog food     20 lb.     DPP0401B22XJW     6-Apr-2013
Diamond Puppy Formula dry dog food     20 lb.     DPP0101C31XME     11-Jan-2013
Diamond Puppy Formula dry dog food     20 lb.     DPP0101C31XRB     11-Jan-2013
Diamond Puppy Formula dry dog food     8 lb.     DPP0401B2XALW      7-Apr-2013
Diamond Puppy Formula dry dog food     6 oz. samples DPP0401

The recalled Diamond Puppy Formula dry dog food was manufactured by Diamond Pet Foods in Gaston, S.C., and distributed in the following 12 states:

• Alabama
• Florida
• Georgia
• Kentucky
• Maryland
• Michigan
• North Carolina
• Ohio
• Pennsylvania
• South Carolina
• Tennessee
• Virginia

The product may have been further distributed to additional states through pet food channels. The company is working directly with distributors and retailers that carry these products to remove them as quickly as possible from the supply chain. Diamond Pet Foods apologizes for any potential issues this may cause pet owners and their dogs.

Pet owners who are unsure if the product they purchased is included in the recall, or who would like replacement product or a refund, may contact Diamond Pet Foods at 800-442-0402, 8 am – 6 pm EST, Monday through Friday, or visit www.diamondpetrecall.com.

May 1, 2012 11:55 amPosted 2 years ago
    Bobbie

Thank you and I shared it!!

May 1, 2012 11:56 amPosted 2 years ago
    Diego

Es solo la de cachorro cierto??? :S

May 1, 2012 11:56 amPosted 2 years ago
    Bob

well, at least it’s “only” Salmonella this time instead of Aflatoxin B1. Diamond has an unfortunate history with that killer stuff.

May 1, 2012 11:58 amPosted 2 years ago
    Erin

Our puppy just finished a bag of this last week!

• May 1, 2012 11:59 amPosted 2 years ago
    Heather

Shared!!

May 1, 2012 12:01 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Erin

Dan Thoresen, good thing we didn’t buy another bag of this for Maggie! :-(

• May 1, 2012 12:02 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Baran

selam

• May 1, 2012 12:03 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Kimberly

This is why I cook my babies food. It is less expensive, not time consuming and I know what the heck is in it. I know not everyone can do this, but if you can, work it out with your vet.

May 1, 2012 12:08 pmPosted 2 years ago
    EstherStar

i cook for my 5 babies too.. not a fan of the quick stuff.

• May 1, 2012 12:10 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Karen

Why would anyone buy this for their dogs?????????? No way!

• May 1, 2012 12:11 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Melissa

Were there other formulas included?

May 1, 2012 12:13 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Karen

shared

May 1, 2012 12:14 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Desiree

One can cook in bulk and freeze so its not a time consuming exercise and worth knowing what you are feeding them! So much good info on the internet as well!

• May 1, 2012 12:16 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Marty

Dang ! I have fed this brand to my dog before ! Also those waggin train dog treats ! Steer clear now

• May 1, 2012 12:16 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Anonymous

Melissa Manry-Wilson – see here for other formulas covered:

• May 1, 2012 12:20 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Lovene

I cook for my babies

May 1, 2012 12:20 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Kelly

I have been using Naturals for 4 years. I’m pretty upset that I have to find a new brand. They killed hundreds of dogs years back. You’d think they’d get it right. 151 checks, my butt!

• May 1, 2012 12:21 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Christy

Great. Guess I will be switching. Oh, and just because I don’t feed RAW or home cooked meals to my dog doesn’t mean she is not well loved and cared for.

May 1, 2012 12:22 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Cassidy

For everyone that cooks: Please post a link of some stuff for the rest of us. I have no clue where I am supposed to start. How much does it normally cost you all?

May 1, 2012 12:23 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Cassidy

Drogo is eating Taste of the Wild [grain-free, holistic, all life stages]

• May 1, 2012 12:24 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Damion

Diamond also makes Nutra-Nuggets, and Costco Kirkland Signature Adult Dog Formula (Lamb). I just called them and they said these weren’t affected.

• May 1, 2012 12:27 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Christy

I think I will switch to Taste of the Wild. Or Blue.

May 1, 2012 12:30 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Cassidy

TotW is apart of Diamond pet foods :<

May 1, 2012 11:53 pmPosted 2 years ago
      Barbara

totw is a part of diamond and it is considered a five or 6 star dog food. I started my dog on it and he is not as active. I want to switch now. chicken lovers soup is also

• May 1, 2012 12:32 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Brooke

One of the big reasons I raw feed wild game to my dogs!

May 1, 2012 12:32 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Brandy

Blue has also had recalls

May 1, 2012 12:38 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Rebecca

Shared!!!

• May 1, 2012 12:41 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Melissa

Shared..

May 1, 2012 12:44 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Erin

@ Christy Boarders, thank you for saying what I was thinking. We love our dogs, we don’t buy cheapo grocery store food for our dogs, are trying to feed them healthy, nutritious food.

May 1, 2012 12:49 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Doreen

Diamond makes taste of the wild too, too many recalls in all of diamond foods

• May 1, 2012 12:52 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Aneka

I feed my dog this too but I got it waybefore the recall he is doing fine but now I mus switch the food now byt I dont know to what yet

• May 1, 2012 12:53 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Kellee

Here come the “raw is better” comments. You know folks, we have recalls on our food too.

May 1, 2012 1:00 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Ana

OMG we just don’t know anymore. I can’t get raw diet things here in Guatemala (no one imports them) or wild game meats at the supermarket…. I import for my own 2 dogs Wellness. It hasn’t had any recalls that I know of.

May 5, 2012 12:35 pmPosted 2 years ago
      Linette Greene

Wellness is also produced by Diamond. There is a voluntary recall of some wellness products as well. Only one of Diamond’s three plants has had recalls, the one in SC. Here is Diamond’s own lnk to the recalls: You are not, by chance, feeding a Diamond product are you? They had a recall due to salmonella from the S.C. plant….http://diamondpetrecall.com/

Luckily, healthy dogs are pretty immune to salmonella, so no dogs have gotten sick. So far, 14 people have…http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/47305561

Diamond manufactures a big majority of all brands’ food, including Canidae, nature’s Domain (the food at Costco that is grain free) Chicken Soup for the Doglover’s Soul, and more.

We have had problems with several major premium brands. My dogs are currently on Taste of the Wild, another Diamond product, but ours is sourced from California so no affected.

What bothers me more than Diamond’s SC plant is the fact that every dog food manufacturer in the US sources several ingredients from China….there was a big recall recently because of tainted corn or wheat gluten, can’t remember which that they manufacturer got from China. Almost all duck and chicken treats are made in China.

I wrote the company and this is the reply I got:
      Thank you for contacting us directly, and for your concern.

Diamond Pet Foods did recall a batch of Diamond Naturals Lamb Meal & Rice, Diamond Puppy and Chicken Soup for the Pet Lovers Soul Adult Light Dog food, manufactured in our South Carolina Facility. This was being done as a precautionary measure, as the product has the potential to be contaminated with salmonella. No illnesses have been reported.

Taste of the Wild is not under any current recall. Since you live in Montana, your food is manufactured in our California facility.

Our foods are manufactured in three facilities, all in the United States. One is located in California, one in Missouri and one in South Carolina.

Most of the ingredients in Diamond Pet Foods originate in the United States. There are critical ingredients that are not available domestically in an adequate supply and with as much quality as our international supply. We do purchase some ingredients from foreign suppliers such as lamb meal from New Zealand, potato protein from Germany and dried chicory root from Belgium.

We screen for all toxins with a test called ToxiScreen. This test screens for other toxins besides melamine and cyanuric acid but heavy metals, pesticide residue, aflatoxin, vomitoxin, rodenticide, and many others. Should any of these contaminants be present in the sample, the ToxiScreen test will detect it.

To answer your question, there are ingredients that are critical to our formulations (i.e. folic acid, taurine, vitamin C) that can only be sourced out of China. Our choice is to either include these ingredients or manufacturer our foods without them, which would not be in the best interest of your pet, in our view.

Some pet food companies are making “China-Free” claims despite the facts I’ve outlined above. They accomplish this by utilizing a loophole in European law. European laws allow for ingredients purchased outside their continent, then reprocessed in Europe, to be labeled with European origin. We could likewise hide behind that loophole in the law, and tell you what you want to hear, but choose not to for obvious reasons. I’d rather you not feed our foods than to tell you they are China-free, when they are not.

Food safety is our #1 priority and it shows in the amount of new business we get from word of mouth-friends and neighbors talking to one another, recommending our foods. Our ingredients go through over 151 quality assurance checks, from the time the ingredient arrives to the end process of shipping, to ensure the safety of our products

Sincerely,
      Cheri
      Customer Service

May 1, 2012 1:13 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Farah

Ana; do you have butchers or similar? we just get chicken (wings, necks, and carcass) or whole fish for ours.

May 1, 2012 1:35 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Ann

Read your packages – made in China India Pakistan -do not purchase

May 1, 2012 1:36 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Ann

Biljac is made in the USA – expensive but my Dobes love it

May 1, 2012 1:37 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Ann

1 cup a day for a 110 lb dog – 98%digestible

• May 1, 2012 1:38 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Christy

Sheesh. Seems you just can’t win for losing. Maybe I will look into Wellness, but I do have to stay budget minded. As much as I’d like to spend $50 on a 20lb bag of food for my girl, I can’t. That’s why I went with Diamond. I had no idea they had such a bad reputation. And now that I know they make TOTW too, I am so disappointed. I feed that to my cats. Back to the drawing board!

May 7, 2012 9:06 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Julie Jolley

I feed my chihuahuas kibbles-n-bits. As, this seems to be the only dog food they will eat….Only one serious concern….Each time I purchase a bag, I always have to open the bag and look carefully through the bag for maggots. YES…MAGGOTS…!! I have gone to multiple grocery stores and have found the larvae and or maggots in so many of the bags. I will continue feeding them this brand as long as I can search as many places as possible for a clean bag. And no, they are not outdated. These are all dated well into 2013. Hopefully there is someone reading this that will try to correct this problem as, I have brought this to many grocery personnels attn. to no avail…!!