Family Pays $155,000 to Clone Beloved Pet

Pets are beloved family members and having one pass away is a devastating moment. Earlier this year, TLC aired a moving one-hour special documenting animal lovers who had the opportunity to bring a deceased dog back into their life.  Now that the procedure to attain an exact clone of a pet dog has become available, the idea that someone can immortalize their furry loved one has become an attainable opportunity – but at a cost.

Beverly Hills cosmetic surgeon George Semel has been keeping his patients supplied with nips, tucks and fillers for forty years. George’s life used to revolve around work, and then he met a malnourished Chihuahua named Bob who changed everything.

What started out as a doctor/patient relationship soon grew into a mutual love that lasted for two and a half years. In the summer of 2011, while on a walk, a Rottweiler attacked Bob, resulting in his immediate death.  Grief stricken, and plagued with guilt, George decided he will do whatever it takes to bring Bob back to life.

Across town, Los Angelino Myra still struggles with the loss of her dog Kabuki, who passed three years ago. Myra keeps his memory alive every way she can – surrounding herself with mementoes of her beloved pet for sentimental reasons. She has managed to save almost half the cash she needs to clone Kabuki, but money isn’t the only obstacle to their reunion. Myra now has a boyfriend in her life, and knowing that a cloned Kabuki would be her top priority, she has to make the tough decision between human love and cloned love.

Edgar and Nina Otto from Boca Raton, Florida will spare no expense to keep their pet’s memory alive. Edgar’s father was one of the founders of NASCAR, and successful business ventures have made the Ottos multi-millionaires. Thanks to their wealth, the Ottos can lavish money on their greatest passion- animals. The best pet they ever had was a golden Labrador retriever named Sir Lancelot. In 2003, the Ottos had a sample of his DNA taken and stored. At the time, a dog had never been successfully cloned, but Edgar and Nina hoped that one day it would be possible.  In November 2008 after Lancelot’s passing from cancer, they were one of the first families to be able to produce a successful clone for the hefty price tag of $155,000.

TLC will air a second installment of I CLONED MY PET with three new compelling pet cloning stories on Monday, May 21stat 10PM ET/PT.

Comments

1. Anonymous says on  May 10, 2012 at 7:05 am

There are so many great dogs out there without a home. This is really unnecessary. I know that when my dog passes on that she would want me to get another rescue dog as she knows what it is like to be rescued from very horrible conditions.

• Cheryl F says on  May 10, 2012 at 11:30 am

We all can identify with losing a deeply loved pet, but that’s exactly my reaction to this story – why not visit a shelter and save a dog’s life instead of trying to pretend cloning is actually bringing their former pet back to life? There are many millions of animals living in cages who dearly need the love and care these people could give them. Why let a dog go to its death while spending tens of thousands to clone an animal who has already passed the rainbow bridge.

2. Jane A says on  May 10, 2012 at 11:28 am

Ok I am going to be a jerk. But this is so wrong. Just imagine how many shelter dogs could be fed and healed for $155k. Donate it in honor of your dog that passed..that will ensure that he lives on and on by saving so many other dogs.

3. As much as I love my poodle Petey, I know there would never be another just like him. I would use that money if I had it,to rescue others,and find them the good homes they all deserve.

4. Dennis says on  May 10, 2012 at 6:07 pm

We lost our little doggie last year after 16yrs. We loved him deeply. Even so I would never try this, because it is doomed to failure. The dog they (and I) remember was both the product of genetics and his environment. Who is to say that they remember him as a puppy or that in the absence of the exact same set of circumstances and environment, whether or not the same behaviors would develop.

For us, in the end we waited a year, then we contacted a Pekingese rescue agency and we are adopting an 8yr old dog that has a similar personality-only calmer but a different coloration as no dog will ever replace our old dog-nor would I ask it too. He will be his own dog and our dog. $155K could have done so much good for so many others, human and canine alike

5. NO!!

6. Glenda says on  May 10, 2012 at 6:17 pm

7. Yes I would.

8. Trudy says on  May 10, 2012 at 6:17 pm

too freaky for me

9. Cindy says on  May 10, 2012 at 6:17 pm

10. wow! that would be a tough one…

11. Dianne says on  May 10, 2012 at 6:17 pm

12. not for that much – ever.

13. me too!!

14. Veronica says on  May 10, 2012 at 6:17 pm

Never !!!

15. Beto says on  May 10, 2012 at 6:17 pm

In a minute!

16. Carolyn says on  May 10, 2012 at 6:17 pm

No way

17. I’m seeing that Family Guy episode when Stewie makes a clone of himself and Brian. It didn’t turn out well.

18. Lisa says on  May 10, 2012 at 6:17 pm

Hell no :) I love that every dog I have rescued has had their own unique personality and place in my heart!

19. gotta start savin up now. lol :(

20. why when there are too many good dogs in rescue shelters who need good homes… stupid waste of money.

21. Roxanne says on  May 10, 2012 at 6:17 pm

Absolutely. I love my boy.

22. no

23. Carolyn says on  May 10, 2012 at 6:18 pm

Some things are better not messed with

24. Josh says on  May 10, 2012 at 6:18 pm

Yes I would!

25. As the animal would genetically be the same….the behavior will completely different

26. Stefanie says on  May 10, 2012 at 6:18 pm

no! because the charakter would never be the same

27. Trisha says on  May 10, 2012 at 6:18 pm

I currently have purebreds, a rescue, cats, and have fostered many different dogs. They are all wonderful in their own way, so I wouldn’t clone- but I would never be without one just because I felt more of a ‘connection’ with one over another. I love them all.

28. Gaily says on  May 10, 2012 at 6:18 pm

No. THe personality will never be the same, and it’ll never be the same dog, no matter how much you want the clone to be!

29. Pauline says on  May 10, 2012 at 6:18 pm

No, wouldn’t be the same… just wrong!!

30. No!

31. Kathryn says on  May 10, 2012 at 6:18 pm

Never!

32. Uh, no.

33. Betsy says on  May 10, 2012 at 6:18 pm

can’t clone experience….would only be a constant reminder of lost pet ~ so NO I wouldn’t

34. Rhonda says on  May 10, 2012 at 6:18 pm

YES, by all means I would clone my “LEXI” BOXER <3

35. June says on  May 10, 2012 at 6:18 pm

36. Selena says on  May 10, 2012 at 6:18 pm

Hell, no! There are breeders I can go to and shelters to rescue from! How utterly selfish and a waste of money!

37. Haha, I can think of a few more things to do with $155k, than clone my dead dog! That’s a lot of cash!

38. Depends…..most likely yes!

39. Sharon says on  May 10, 2012 at 6:18 pm

In a heartbeat.

40. Jimmie says on  May 10, 2012 at 6:18 pm

No. Because I would know that no matter what it’s not the same dog.

41. Ellen says on  May 10, 2012 at 6:19 pm

Can’t clone a soul or a personailty! I love my dog so much, and he’s a handsome lab…BUT it’s his heart that I love so much!

42. Lisa says on  May 10, 2012 at 6:19 pm

Hope they relise it will look the same but different personalities. Bad mistake

43. I can’t begin to imagine how many existing, homeless dogs could have been saved with $150K, Only in a country of so much wealth and ‘wants’ can something like this happen without batting an eye.

44. Patricia says on  May 10, 2012 at 6:19 pm

i dont know why u wouldnt just adopt a new one and donate all that money u were gonna spend on an animal that really isnt the same animal as the first.. strange

45. Rita says on  May 10, 2012 at 6:19 pm

46. Perry says on  May 10, 2012 at 6:19 pm

No. There are too many animals out there that need a good, loving home as it is! Just think how much that money could help shelters and rescues save thousands of animals…

47. No,I would remember my beloved dog by trying to save others with all that money!

48. Jenny says on  May 10, 2012 at 6:20 pm

no, there are enough animals in this world who are homeless and unloved without “bringing back” your pet!

49. Mum sure loves me but this would never be an option, even if we had the money!

50. Nicole says on  May 10, 2012 at 6:20 pm

51. No.

52. U never really end up with the same pet but yes I would! lol

53. Marisa says on  May 10, 2012 at 6:20 pm

No, you born, you live and you die and thats just nature.

54. Janet says on  May 10, 2012 at 6:20 pm

No. I would not. The dog might LOOK the same, but it is NOT the same spirit; hence, not the same dog.

55. Heather says on  May 10, 2012 at 6:20 pm

I understand the attachment, but not when so many other amazing dogs and cats die because they have no homes. That money could save a lot of lives!

56. OMG…..

57. Shelley says on  May 10, 2012 at 6:20 pm

No! Wouldn’t $155,000 donation to animal rescue and adopting a new mutt from the pound be a far better way to celebrate the life of your beloved perfect dog?

58. Jilly says on  May 10, 2012 at 6:20 pm

One may be able to clone a body, but one cannot clone a soul.

59. Kimberly says on  May 10, 2012 at 6:20 pm

No! Rescue a shelter dog and fall in love all over again !

60. Gummi says on  May 10, 2012 at 6:20 pm

in a heartbeat!

61. Nope, would not be the same.

62. that is stupid. They might not even come out looking the same. Genes have a mind of there own .

63. Melissa says on  May 10, 2012 at 6:20 pm

no …how disrespectful

64. That’s a tough questions?? Not sure

65. i have loved all my dogs and each of them that has passed i still miss like crazy but clone one… NEVER…

66. Brittany says on  May 10, 2012 at 6:21 pm

Yes yes yes! I would try it.

67. Nope & NEVER!! They are a 1 time gift from the man upstairs. I will see mine again when i get to cross Rainbow Bridge and the Lord and my four Legged friends are waiting for me on the Other Side!!

68. Nope!

69. Beth says on  May 10, 2012 at 6:21 pm

Nope, because the clone would be nothing like the original, experiences really do help mold the personality. Plus, if I remember correctly, a clone’s cells wind up being the same age as the original was when the samples were taken, so you really don’t get a full extra lifetime with the pup anyways

70. Brian says on  May 10, 2012 at 6:21 pm

How many unwanted and neglected pets would that money have been a better help to? Spend that money to help those pets that are in need.

71. Hell to the naw! I saw Pet Sematary

72. Danielle says on  May 10, 2012 at 6:21 pm

ADOPT. Adopt adopt adopt. ADOPT. Don’t breed, buy, or CLONE while homeless pets DIE!!!

73. Rescue!!!

74. Dionissios says on  May 10, 2012 at 6:21 pm

No, I don’t like. A beloved dog is unique.

75. Absolutely, positively…. NO… Not just NO… HELL NO!!!

76. Mike says on  May 10, 2012 at 6:21 pm

nope. There is only one Max. I couldn’t love a clone.

77. Erin says on  May 10, 2012 at 6:21 pm

The dog may look the same, but it won’t be just like the old dog. It’s hard enough not to expect a new pup to be like your old dog when it isn’t “the same dog” — it’s not fair to put that expectation on a new dog.

78. no. Too many abandoned creatures (human and animal) out there that could use the money!

79. NO.. to the question would I clone my pet.

80. Lori says on  May 10, 2012 at 6:21 pm

NOOOOOO!!!!

81. Suzanne says on  May 10, 2012 at 6:21 pm

82. Mike says on  May 10, 2012 at 6:21 pm

Joseph Caruana

83. Kimberley says on  May 10, 2012 at 6:21 pm

No every animal is different and unique

84. Barbara says on  May 10, 2012 at 6:21 pm

Uhhh…no…..its not nice to mess with Mother Nature….

85. No, I couldn’t imagine it being the right thing to do at all x

86. Look at how many rescues that would care for. Sheesh.

87. No. I don’t think it is healthy to not properly grieve your pet. I saw a show about people getting their pets cloned and they actually think its their same dog; same personality, same memories, etc. Plus with so many homeless deserving dogs out there I think its only right to adopt a different dog and honor the memory of your late pet by donating in their name or something.

88. Andrea says on  May 10, 2012 at 6:22 pm

Not a chance. My fur-babies are one of a kind. Besides, don’t you guys read Steven King? Scarey!

89. Joseph says on  May 10, 2012 at 6:22 pm

Nope!

90. Louise says on  May 10, 2012 at 6:22 pm

No. I loved my previous dog & I will always remember him as he was so
    Most definitely wouldn’t want another version of him. Nothing & nobody should be cloned!!!

91. Jason says on  May 10, 2012 at 6:22 pm

They should realize it will never bring the exact same dog back and instead donated the money to rescues.

92. Karen says on  May 10, 2012 at 6:22 pm

I would be tempted, but I would have to remind myself of all the other wonderful, loving pets that are being killed on a daily basis because they don’t have a home to call their own … and $155k would go a long way to save a good number of them!

93. Nuria says on  May 10, 2012 at 6:22 pm

No. It would not be the same soul, or essence. Just an exact twin, but I doubt the personality would be the same. Give a homeless animal your love and keep your memories.

94. Matthew says on  May 10, 2012 at 6:22 pm

Agreed. There are too many loving dogs looking for homes. Why waste money when you can feel good rescuing one just as worthy as your old one.

95. Yes.

96. A clone would still not be the same dog… cat… whatever and there are just way too many animals that need rescuing to do that.

97. David says on  May 10, 2012 at 6:22 pm

No, give another pet a chance at the same Loving Life you gave your passed Pet!

98. Kate says on  May 10, 2012 at 6:22 pm

No, As much as it would break my heart..no.

99. Bijou says on  May 10, 2012 at 6:22 pm

that money could help so many pets in shelters :(

100. Absolutely not. There are too many deserving animals in need of a home. Besides, they are going to be very disappointed in the outcome. Their cloned dog is going to be a different animal, with a unique personality. It will simply look the same as the other one. All of us, human and animal, have personalities that are largely influenced by our experiences. The clone will not be the original, it’ll just look the same.