The Dog in the Clouds

Years ago I was in Kathmandu after a run of luck that included being crushed in a wreck, later paralyzed, and eventually sentenced to death for espionage (the Burmese version of a good film review). In the middle of the night during a Himalayan thunderstorm I saw a dog in the clouds. I believed with all my heart that I would find that dog.

Two years later I was tired of waiting for the matching dog, and one day I grabbed the first puppy available in the classifieds. His name was Orville, and he was the dog of a lifetime. He gave his life up for me in the greatest act of selflessness I have ever experienced.

1. Thank you so much to my favorite dog web site for posting the video of my beautiful Lab Orville. He meant the world to me, and not a minute goes by when I don’t miss him. The story in the video is turning into a book, and making it needs your risk-free support on Kickstarter. Will you please check it out?

• Star says on  06/06/2012 at 10:25 pm

I cried watching this story. He is with you in spirit.

• tami says on  06/10/2012 at 12:59 pm

i have an dog who was my angel sent when i needed him and when he passed i was heartbroken and swore id never own another dog again because it hurts to much when they leave this world. then charlie the beagle (by the way said id never own a beagle because they seemed to only listen when they want to) couldnt stay w his owner so came to live w me. then daisy THE BEAGLE came to live with me she was found in a hole in the woods w no way to escape. i found ummm she found me at the animal shelter crawled into by lap crying. to think i said to the shelter employees noooo more beagles for me i almost left w out seeing her. then comes lu the BEAGLE who was a stray for 4 months and has liver cancer. i was told lu would live out the rest of his life at the rescue and the thought of him dying alone in a crate broke my heart. even tho i know im in for heartbreak i could not turn any of them away. and i believe they are all w me for a reason. i hope w all of my heart that you found yourself a new dog to love. my clyde the coonhound was the dog that was my angel. he had cancer but sometimes i swear i still feel him near. i ha dwrote a book about him because he had gone thru so much but nev got around to finding a publisher. i hope you have great luck w your book and i cant wait to read it

2. Anonymous says on  05/15/2012 at 1:34 pm

This is a beautiful story – and I know there is much more to it. It truly is a blessing when Dog comes into our lives. I want to share this with you…I know that you will appreciate it. And I look forward to reading the book.

3. I saw the excerpt – very, very touching.

4. Beautiful!

5. OMG… :-(

6. Phillip says on  05/15/2012 at 4:14 pm

Are y’all trying to make me cry some more? I don’t appreciate it, even if I can claim it’s just bad allergies.

7. a wonderful tribute.. very sorry for your loss ♥ peace

8. I lost My Boo (Bear) to cancer. I look forward to reading this.

9. Kimberly says on  05/15/2012 at 4:17 pm

We truly don’t deserve our 4-legged friends. Their love is pure and unconditional. We could learn a thing or two from dogs. Such is the love of dogs. Bless them.

10. So wonderful pics…
    Thanks for sharing. They’re all so cuteee…

11. Janet says on  05/15/2012 at 4:19 pm

so true i lost my jessy last year they love you no matter what x

12. i had a yellow lab his name was yeller best dog i ever had

13. DrBeverly says on  05/15/2012 at 4:25 pm

Touched my heart.

14. Anna says on  05/15/2012 at 4:29 pm

IF You haven’t cried in a long, long time.. YOU ought to grab a tissue box now! … Yea, even men can/ are allowed to cry/ to weep…

15. Nancy says on  05/15/2012 at 4:30 pm

That was beautiful!!

16. WOW! Tears!

17. that is a good story saw it this am on life with dogs

18. Bev says on  05/15/2012 at 4:34 pm

19. beautiful baby boy..

20. Sandy says on  05/15/2012 at 4:53 pm

♥♥ ♥♥

21. Gloria says on  05/15/2012 at 4:56 pm

Très attendrissant!! Tears….

22. Dogs are a gift from God….unconditional love and total loyalty. Can’t get much better than that. I can’t imagine my life with out my hounds….♥

23. I can’t read these sorrowful stories about dogs.

24. judy says on  05/15/2012 at 5:35 pm

I wish you would have said what you discovered on top of that mountain that day!!!! About Oroville and all dogs!!!!

• Brian Beker says on  05/15/2012 at 6:11 pm

The story of what happens on the mountain is best left for the book, but don’t worry, it will be in there. It’s a beautiful tribute to a good dog.

25. I think God allows us these loyal & loving dogs to prove to us we can be like that too. Wonderful story … losing a dear friend, sweet loving ‘kid’ like Orville is always heartbreaking, but he crossed that bridge and watches over you still, I believe!

26. Sunny says on  05/15/2012 at 5:42 pm

omg.. what a story.. loved it …

27. Kim says on  05/15/2012 at 5:49 pm

Oh Blimey…That is so beautiful…but so,so sad as well…xx

28. Sandy G says on  05/15/2012 at 6:00 pm

I’m so sorry for your loss Brian. Our Lab is 15 years old.

• Anonymous says on  05/15/2012 at 7:54 pm

Wow – you’re so lucky, and so is s/he, Sandy! How is your little 15-year-old puppy feeling? Hips okay?

29. Addis says on  05/15/2012 at 6:04 pm

30. I am sorry for your loss, and also, your gain. Orville was beautiful.
    Why does it hurt so much even 10 yrs after they pass?
    Blessed Be.

31. Kim says on  05/15/2012 at 6:18 pm

God Bless you and Orville… He was …. Sent from Heaven… and then returned…. <3 I am in tears… but somehow how a smile on my face….

32. Sorry for your loss.

33. That anonymous was me, Sandy, wondering about your 15-year-old…

34. So sorry. Be free Orville.

35. Mary says on  05/15/2012 at 9:08 pm

so sweet, wonderful dog, wonderful story <3

36. I wish I could understand why some can only stay awhile, so sorry Orville had to leave, he’s with my profile pic Abby now. Prayers for strength through your sadness, heartbreak and maybe like me, for the first time, anger too. I still scream why.

37. Peg says on  05/15/2012 at 10:17 pm

Oh no… I am already crying just reading the description.