Loyal friend stayed by abused dog’s side until they were rescued

Thanks to a good samaritan, a badly abused dog is being given a chance to survive after being found in a dumpster in Dallas.  The dog, who has been named Java, was emaciated  and strangely had a metal can around it’s neck.  The can had been on for some time and as the dog grew it had cut into her ears.  But Java was not alone as another dog was with her, watching over Java, and they were rescued together.

The samaritan, who did not want to be named, brought the pair to Dallas Animal Services on Sunday.  The second dog, a shepherd mix who has been named Joshua, was uninjured.  After the can was cut off Java was sent to Metro Paws Animal Hospital for treatment, but the prognosis is uncertain.  “The next few days are critical,” according to a post on Animal Services Facebook page. “We have to get her stable enough for surgery and watch out for organ failure due to her starved condition. But that tail is wagging.”

As of this morning Java was alert and eating, but will need extensive care and love to get healthy again, and eventually will need a foster home to help nurture her back to normal.  Following that, if all goes well, she will be up for adoption.  Joshua, who stayed by poor Java’s side through her ordeal, is healthy and is still at animal services but the shelter is full and he needs a foster home as soon as possible.  His identification number is A750714 and he’ll be available Thursday, if not before.

Anyone interested in making a donation towards Java’s veterinary expenses can do so by calling MetroPaws at 214-887-1400, or through the Animal Allies of Texas website at http://www.animalalliesoftexas.org/donations/

Comments

1. Anonymous says on  10/29/2012 at 10:06 pm

why isn’t he with his friend? It may help Java if Joshua was there,

2. Erik says on  10/29/2012 at 10:08 pm

I am really getting tired of the abusers in these stories. I just cannot fathom how you could do such a thing to a dog.

3. Anonymous says on  10/29/2012 at 10:11 pm

Maybe Joshua can continue to help Java’s healing… Might help keep the anxiety level down, etc.

4. Sue Ingham says on  10/29/2012 at 10:21 pm

I do hope that as Anonymous suggested, that Java and Joshua stay together. It may be what is needed to have Java keep the determination to get better. It is Joshua who stayed by Java’s side and they, obviously, have a strong bond! Being separated may prove to be too stressful and being in a shelter or vets office would be stressful enough without adding to it.

As well, I do hope that you get the financial assistance and have someone who can take them both to work on the rehabilitation. Hopefully, they could be adopted together, too.

5. Sue Ingham says on  10/29/2012 at 10:22 pm

I do hope that, as Anonymous suggested, Java and Joshua stay together. It may be what is needed to have Java keep the determination to get better. It is Joshua who stayed by Java’s side and they, obviously, have a strong bond! Being separated may prove to be too stressful and being in a shelter or vets office would be stressful enough without adding to it.

6. Mike says on  10/29/2012 at 10:36 pm

I agree that Java and Joshua should stay together. There is a bond there and I really do think it will aid in her healing. It’s difficult to understand how someone can do this to a defenseless animal. I hope nothing but the best for her and hope that there is some way they can be fostered and adopted together after she recovers.

7. Anonymous says on  10/29/2012 at 11:51 pm

I cant beleive they split up those dogs after everything they have been through come on let them be together…

• WisePati says on  10/30/2012 at 11:25 am

The dogs were turned into a city run ‘shelter’, aka ‘the pound’, not a situation where money is no object. Budgets are being cut all over for such facilities and some are run in such a way that promotes the killing mentality. The general public doesn’t care much unfortunately.

Joshua is healthy and apparently a stray so he will be held at the shelter for his stray period and then if no one steps up to adopt or rescue him he will be killed. That is the reality.

8. Anonymous says on  10/30/2012 at 9:51 am

Dammit, I am so sick and tired of these stories, what the hell is wrong with people and just HOW CAN THEY DO THESE THINGS, I cannot fathom what went that wrong in their lives to make them feel justified in bringing pain and terror to these innocent animals, I wish I could grab them all by the neck and shake them til their insides are outside and they are a threat, a menace, a sicko, a pervert no longer. Til they’re just dead.

• Louise says on  11/01/2012 at 9:55 pm

I so agree! I am so sick of the abuse animals suffer. We need laws that will make them think twice. I think what ever it done to the animal should be done to the abuser.

9. Anonymous says on  10/30/2012 at 9:53 am

and all these stories just bring tears to my cheeks.

10. Meg says on  10/30/2012 at 10:12 am

Please keep those dogs together! They have obviously created a bond and should not be seperated. Surely, someone would adopt them as a pair? I would strongly consider it myself to keep them together. Please let me know!

11. Julie says on  10/30/2012 at 11:14 am

More proof dogs are better than humans. They need to go to a forever home together.

12. WisePati says on  10/30/2012 at 11:19 am

Praying someone adopts Joshua before the dog is another casualty of the mass killing of dogs and cats at America’s shelters.

Note that the article said the shelter is full and that is code for ‘they will be killing to make room’. Texas ‘shelters’ kill a lot of dogs every day. Every day is the holocaust for dogs and cats in this country due to irresponsible and selfish humans.

Shame on people who don’t take proper care of their dogs and let them roam or leave them outside and allow them to breed. That is also a form of abuse!

13. Danita Luttrell-Facebook-Omaha,Tx says on  10/30/2012 at 1:32 pm

Joshua loved Java enough to stay with her. Animals form a bond with each other,just as people do.I would keep them together if I were the vet.I know Java is scarred of people.What has been done to her is a crime!! Are there no cameras in the city where she was THROWN into a dumpster!! You know that was a horrible injury alone,minus the damn can growing into her precious ears,she was starving,and probably beaten!! Joshua has more compassion than her owners do, and more sense.I would love to have both of them,but we are rarely home.I will send money for food for them,,,IF someone will allow Joshua to stay with Java.PLEASE,DO NOT ALLOW JOSHUA TO BE IN A POUND!! HE saved a life, please save him.Let me know through personal message.God bless you.

14. Leximou says on  10/30/2012 at 2:22 pm

Can they possibly get finger prints off the can that was around the neck? Can they then get the POS that did this and do the same to him/her? Can we pray that this would come to pass?

15. Anonymous says on  10/30/2012 at 9:41 pm

KEEP THOSE DOGS TOGETHER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

16. Anonymous says on  11/01/2012 at 7:09 pm

Hi everybody. I foster for the group that taken in Java renamed Olivia. In response to questions about why they are not together, this was on our Facebook page:

One of our fb friends posed the question about why Joshua is not with Olivia. We felt this question needed to be answered but that our answer needed to be shared with all of our friends.

Linda –
    Joshua’s great, almost chunky, physical condition tells us that he has been on the streets for a very limited time. He was already neutered, as a younger dog. And since he was turned over to Dallas Animal Services, they place a MANDATORY 72 hour hold on him. The Dallas Animal Commissioner who got AAT involved with this case at 1:40pm on Sunday afternoon placed a “tag” on him, to keep him safe and ready to pull for rescue. Another group – DFW Rescue Me – placed an official rescue tag on him yesterday. That means they have “first dibs”. And they WANT to help him find a home as much as any rescue group would want. They are a dedicated bunch of folks – we know that Joshua will be safe and he will placed with a wonderful forever family. Or, Joshua’s owner will show up by end of business tomorrow and he will go “home”.

You have to understand, we have no place to put him – no open foster homes. Olivia, if she survives all of this – will be at MP for weeks. Then she will go “home” to a “medical rehab” foster home before she could be healed and healthy enough to be in a “normal” foster home. Olivia is also heartworm positive and will need to be spayed. Both of these are medically necessary but will have to happen in a few months – which means an extended stay under the care of rescue. You have to understand – that coffee can almost severed her head from her body. Our Board of Directors have voted to not put the most graphic photos “out there”. With that in mind, please understand, she can’t “go home” for a while. Again, if she even survives.

Joshua is ready for a family now. He is a happy, social boy that loves people and kids and chasing tennis balls and being a part of the pack. My personal wish is that they are adopted by the same family – if and when Olivia is ready.

Thank you for your support of this sweet, gentle girl. Today Olivia got to go outside to go potty and has given many kisses to all of the folks who engage her. Tonight she is resting, has good food in her stomach, fresh water within reach, clean bandages on her wounds, strong meds coursing through her frail, starved body and a Tech or Volunteer watching over her.

17. Anonymous says on  11/02/2012 at 8:38 pm

God bless Olivia, you and your group. Thank you so much for the update. Please continue to update us on her progress. This story has really touched everyone in my family and we continue to pray for her strong and steady recovery.

18. Awesome issues here. I am very glad to see your post. Thanks a lot and I’m looking ahead to contact you. Will you please drop me a e-mail?

19. Thank you for another wofdnreul post. The place else may just anybody get that kind of information in such an ideal means of writing? I’ve a presentation subsequent week, and I’m on the search for such information.