Firefighter saves dog trapped in burning barn

Captain Les Porter dove through flames to rescue a dog trapped inside a burning barn on Thursday morning. Thanks to his efforts a pit bull named Moe only suffered some minor burns and is alive.

A passing motorist alerted Tim Chandler and his wife Tiffany that their barn was on fire. Chandler rushed out to the barn where his dog Moe stays at night. “The heat from the fire just blew me backwards. The only thing we could think of was the dog,” said Chandler. Firefighters arrived on the scene to find the barn consumed by flames. They were quickly informed that Moe was inside tied up in a dog run with no way of escaping.

When Captain Les Porter heard about the dog he didn’t hesitate. “His first priority was to rescue the dog,” said Battalion Chief Paul Spani. Moe was hiding from the fire under a boat in the barn. Porter told firefighters to shower him with water while he ran in to save Moe. Porter struggled for a minute to free Moe from the chain, but as soon as Moe was free he sprinted towards the Chandlers. When firefighters first arrived on the scene Captain Porter thought Moe was most likely dead because of the intensity of fire. Remarkably Moe escaped with only a burn to his one paw.

“I can’t put into words how grateful I am,” said Chandler. “A lot of people would think it’s just a dog, but he approached him like a human being.” For Chandler it was second nature, he owns three dogs and says he likes dogs more than some people.

Related posts

November 30, 2012 8:14 amPosted 1 year ago
    Amy Kennedy

Selfless love for animals this firefighter has. He’s the hero in this story. But it begs the question – WHY was the dog tied up in a barn with no possibility of escape (when wood structures notoriously burn killing all inside: ie horses)?

November 30, 2012 8:42 amPosted 1 year ago
    Anonymous

He’s right. I like dogs more then most people too.

November 30, 2012 9:13 amPosted 1 year ago
    Gail K.

What a brave and wonderful man! He’s a super hero in my book! God bless him!

November 30, 2012 11:10 amPosted 1 year ago
    Monica

Really people. He’s in a dog run but tied up? I am sure they love him and hopefully they will learn by this.

Happy for all and God Bless the brave fireman that saved him without a thought.

November 30, 2012 12:22 pmPosted 1 year ago
    Cheryl F

Chained in a run, why? If Moe is so loved, why isn’t he in the house with his family?

November 30, 2012 1:45 pmPosted 1 year ago
    JohnQ

It was a selfless act and Captain Porter is to be commended for his actions. I’m not certain I understand why the dog stays in the barn, but maybe after the fire, the question is hopefully moot? Either they’ve learned their lesson or the barn burned down… They appeared to love the dog, so….

• December 6, 2012 4:45 amPosted 1 year ago
    Felly

Review by Aspiring Golfer for Rating: I switched to Natural Golf a coulpe of years ago, with good results. However I was still slicing about one third of the shots off my driver. After watching Todd Graves’ video Troubles and Solutions I suspected that my grip was incorrect and knew that my wrists were not hinging properly. When I took the training club to the driving range my first shot went high, straight and long. I was able copy the hand position to my driver and removed the slice almost instantly.