Police Officer's Daring Rescue of Drowning Dog Becomes Facebook Knockout

Officer Eric Elliott

A police officer from Plano, Texas has become a Facebook sensation after his heroic efforts on Monday.  Eric Elliott heard a call on his radio about a dog trapped in a pool and immediately took action.

He was working on traffic detail when the call came through.  A dog had fallen into a backyard pool and had been in there for about 20 minutes, according to a neighbor.  (It is unknown why the neighbor did not step in to help – perhaps a fear of trespassing or dogs.)  The call wasn’t specifically for Elliott, but after reading the notes, he rushed to the nearby residence.

“As I got closer to the gate, I could hear the bark, and he was definitely getting tired, and you could hear the stress in the bark,” he said.

Elliot approached the tall fence and easily opened the gate.  He found the 15-year-old dog in the cold pool and desperately grasping the edge.

“He didn’t want anything to do with me,” he said.  “He turned his head away, and I just said, ‘If he’s going to bite me, he’s going to bite me, but I’m going to pull him out anyway,’ so I did and was just glad I was close enough to help.”

His photo was later posted on the Plano Texas Police Department Facebook page, captioning his daring and miraculous rescue.  On a site where posts generally receive 150 to 200 views, officers were stunned to see how popular the story had become.  About 335,000 have seen it, nearly 40,000 have ‘liked’ it and almost 2,500 have shared it.

Amazingly, even people who Elliot has arrested in the past hailed the hometown hero, and “forgiven” him for their arrests.

“It’s actually a lot of fun to be part of it, and it’s good to let people see the other side of what we do,” Elliott said.

View more videos at: http://nbcdfw.com.

November 30, 2012 8:09 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Anonymous

From Aussie to the Officer who has a heart of Gold, all the treasures in Gods World could not replace the compassion you gave that old dog , God Bless you ,have a wonderful Christmas

November 30, 2012 8:29 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Laura

Officer Elliot, god bless you for these life-saving actions you took. I can only hope if one of my dogs were in that situation, someone like you would step in to assist if I was not here.

Thank you!!!

November 30, 2012 9:26 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Anonymous

Thank you Officer Elliot for the good deed. My concern is why was the old dog in the yard and no family around? The neighbor was good enough to call, but did nothing really to help the neighbor dog be saved except a phone call. It all turned out fine and because of you. I thank you for that family not having to come home and find their dog in the bottom of the pool.

• December 1, 2012 12:20 amPosted 2 years ago
    Little Reufus

Good Cops Rock!!! Lubbs Yeu, Officer Elliott!!!!!

wif lubbs from berry good and model citizen, Little Reufus

December 1, 2012 11:37 amPosted 2 years ago
    Dot Zylstra

I am so honored to read about Eric. Ye, it is nice to hear whatelse police officers do for the community. Way to go Eric!!!This does not surprised at his actions. I’m his Aunt!!!

December 25, 2012 3:13 amPosted 1 year ago
    Anonymous

Thank you Officer Elliot for rushing to save the life of an innocent animal. Your actions show you clearly have respect for ALL life. I hope officers all around the nation pay attention to your heroism and follow your example. We need more cops like you. You showed the true meaning of “to serve and protect”.

• December 27, 2012 1:19 pmPosted 1 year ago
    Adam Vermilyea

All life is of value, including our loved pets!