Compassionate Officer Stays by Dying Dog’s Side

Too frequently we see stories of police acting inappropriately – shooting innocent and friendly pet dogs, without so much as a whisper of remorse.  But there is always the other side of the coin, police acting heroically and showing compassion to our best friends.  We do not see this side often enough.

Be prepared to bust out the Kleenex for this video, accompanied by Sarah McLachlan’s “Angel,” which we know all too well from those heartbreaking ASPCA commercials.  The video shows a police officer in Spain making just a few simple gestures to show a dog he cares.  The dog was struck by a car, and Carlos Rosa stays with him on the side of the road, refusing to leave his side.

Sadly, the dog did not survive.  His internal injuries were too severe to repair, and he was euthanized at a veterinary clinic.  But before he departed this world, he was brought some comfort by being shown the kindness of a human who made sure this dog would not be alone when he died.

1. Anonymous says on  01/04/2013 at 8:14 pm

“Video currently unavailable “

2. Sandy says on  01/04/2013 at 10:58 pm

Couldn’t watch it. I had a similar experience. My neighbors owned a dog that they didn’t take good care of. One night the little dog got out of their house. She ran across a busy street and was hit. It was bad. I ran out to the street. This poor little girl was going to die. I won’t describe the injuries, but it was only a matter of minutes. The dog’s owner comes running out and proceeds to start yelling at the dog. I ran in my house got a towel, came out and picked up this poor little girl. I told the woman to shut the F up. I held this dog and patted her, and told her she was a good girl. She gave a little tail wag, licked my hand, and closed her eyes and passed away. At least she knew love before she died. That’s what this man did for this dog. Bless him.

3. mark d says on  01/04/2013 at 11:03 pm

thanks to the officer that comforted the dog in his last moments, its good the dog no longer have to suffer..may the dog rest in peace and comfort forever

4. Predictably this made me cry my eyes out. Still, it is good to see a reminder of the good people in the world.

5. Furkid Mom says on  01/05/2013 at 12:02 pm

Bless this man who should be an example for officers throughout the world. THis little dog will carry that moment of kindness to the Bridge with him. Sadly it may be the only moment like that he has ever known.

6. Jean says on  01/05/2013 at 12:34 pm

It is as sad that this is news as much the horrific stories of abuse we see. This should be a normal reaction, not a news story. Sigh. I couldn’t watch it either, I just cried reading the story and comments.

7. SherrySue says on  01/05/2013 at 1:46 pm

God Bless this Police Officer who showed this dog human kindness; too often, we, as human beings, forget that animals have emotions too and deserve all the love and attention we can give them right to the end. God provided an angel for this dog in his time of suffering. This dog is now an angel in heaven and running around free of pain. I only hope he had a loving family here on earth.

8. Anonymous says on  01/05/2013 at 2:59 pm

Knowing there are others who care is what keeps me trying to do my best.

9. Cheryl F says on  01/05/2013 at 7:37 pm

Thank you so much officer for giving this dog love in his final hours. He knew you were trying to help.

10. Anonymous says on  01/06/2013 at 11:34 pm

What you have done to the lest of these you have done it onto me. THANK YOU!!! You are a light to many.

11. Rebecca says on  01/15/2013 at 8:53 am

Need more people not only officers in this world. Such an amazing man!

12. Cynthia Mattera says on  07/03/2015 at 10:46 am

What a wonderful man to stay by her side. Long time ago I saw a raccoon get kit by a car, and I stayed by her side until she took her last breath. I didn’t want her to die alone. It was just heartbreaking :(