Investigation Leads to Charges Against Man Who Shot Argus and Fiona

Amid anger from the public and demands for justice, Gabriel Pilotti has finally been charged with two counts of cruelty to animals and one count of recklessly endangering another person for the shooting and killing of two Bernese Mountain dogs.

Initially it appeared that Pilotti would not be charged for shooting his neighbor’s dogs Argus and Fiona when he found them on his property. Last Friday, Chester County District Attorney Thomas P. Hogan filed charges against Pilotti.

Further investigation revealed that Pilotti’s actions were in fact not shielded by a state law that permits the execution of dogs when they are attacking domestic animals. A police investigation concluded that the dogs were not attacking Pilotti’s sheep when he shot them.  “There was no justification for the killing of these two dogs,” Hogan said in a news release. “The defendant has been charged and will be dealt with appropriately. Our sympathies go out to the family and children who lost their beloved pets.”

Initially Pilotti had told police he shot the dogs with his shotgun after seeing them chasing his sheep. Investigators felt uneasy about his initial statement and questioned him again last Thursday. Upon further questioning Pilotti admitted that Argus, the first dog shot, wasn’t even anywhere near his sheep and was coming towards Pilotti slowly when Pilotti pulled the trigger. Pilotti also admitted the second dog, Fiona, was running away from him and his sheep when he shot her.

“We’re happy that justice was served,” said Mary Bock, owner of Argus and Fiona. “I’m still focused on making sure this never happens again. This is less about torturing Mr. Pilotti for what he did than about making changes for the future.” The family intends to continue to fight for changes to the state dog law

A preliminary hearing is scheduled for March 28th. All the charges are second-degree misdemeanors and carry a maximum two-year jail term and a maximum fine of $5,000.

February 26, 2013 9:29 amPosted 1 year ago
    noreen curl

keep him in jail as long as possible, what kind of people do such terrible things????????????????

February 26, 2013 12:26 pmPosted 1 year ago
    Lynn

It’s sad that things like this have to happen in order for laws to be changed.

February 26, 2013 1:28 pmPosted 1 year ago
    Lez

I can’t imagine losing my dogs to something as fucked up as this. WTF!!! My dogs are like my children and this man just shot these poor dogs. I HATE people who would hurt a dog or any animals I hope he goes to jail and somehow gets killed there.

February 26, 2013 2:09 pmPosted 1 year ago
    Laura

I dont understand why the punishment for mistreating animals is so minor, how do we expect to keep these awful things from happening if there are not more stringent punishments.

February 26, 2013 3:28 pmPosted 1 year ago
    Anonymous

Unfortunately justice won’t be served because the punishment is just a slap on the wrist. Should be prison time. I’m just glad I don’t live near him wouldn’t want my children to wander onto his property

February 26, 2013 5:01 pmPosted 1 year ago
    Pedro

PA isn’t strict with animal cruelty laws, but hopefully they throw the book at him and he gets significant jail time.

February 26, 2013 9:26 pmPosted 1 year ago
    Anonymous

If some asshole did this to my dog, wouldn’t happen he stays in the yard, but nonetheless I would find a way to pay his cellmate to make his life a living hell when he is behind bars.