Does the Dog Die?

Do you ever avoid watching a movie because you aren’t sure if the animal makes it? You’re not alone! Many people become so emotionally attached to the animals in films, their experience is completely ruined if one is injured or killed. So many people, in fact, that a website has been created to let you know if you need to grab a box of tissues before viewing or if you are safe to watch in the presence of others.

Strange, some can watch the most grisly depictions of human slayings possible, but will fast forward or shut the movie off if they think the cute, little puppy gets even a scratch.

The website greets: “Do you turn off Old Yeller before the end so you can pretend that he lived a long and happy life? Did a cute pet on a movie poster make you think it would be a fun comedy but it turned out to be a pet-with-a-terminal-illness tearjerker instead? Are you unable to enjoy the human body count in a horror movie because you’re wondering whether the dog’s going to kick the bucket? Have you ever Googled “Does the [dog/cat/horse/Klingon targ] die in [movie title]?”

If you answered “yes” to any of these questions, then welcome – DoestheDogDie.com is here for you! If you answered “no” to every question, then you might possibly be lost. Don’t worry – have some lolcats and everything will be fine.”

A quick scroll through the list of movie titles featuring animals will show you what you need to know without giving anything else away. You will read some spoilers if you click on the individual movie links. It is not a complete list of films, but they’re working on it.  This is their key for pet outcomes:

: No pets die.

Sad Dog Icon : A pet is injured or appears dead but ultimately lives.

Crying Dog Icon : A pet dies.

Related posts

May 30, 2013 11:43 pmPosted 1 year ago
    Margaret

I don’t even watch Sarah McLauglin’s SPCA commercials because I just can’t handle the animals in them. They are all sooooo sad.

Woof woof! Thumb up 6 Thumb down 0

May 31, 2013 12:00 pmPosted 1 year ago
      ADMIN (Author)

haha, Sarah McLachlan’s music has been ruined for me because of that! I wonder how many people would have otherwise donated if they didn’t make the absolutely saddest commercials ever? Everyone changes the channel as soon as they hear “In the arms, of an” – click.

Thumb up 0 Thumb down 1

May 31, 2013 11:12 amPosted 1 year ago
    DogMom 2-8

My husband and I always fast forward the part in “I Am Legend” where the Sam, the German Shepherd dies!

Thumb up 1 Thumb down 1

May 31, 2013 12:31 pmPosted 1 year ago
    Furkid Mom

THis is definitely for me!!!! I love scifi, horror and I have no problem with any kind of gore or violence even if children or infants are involved because, well, its fiction. But I think for me too many animals die or are abused in real life that I want my animal characters alive and well at the end of their stories. It spoils the show for me if they die.

I was never much of a Stephen King fan but I positively hate him after Cujo. And IMO Old Yeller was one of the worst movies ever made!

Thumb up 0 Thumb down 2

June 2, 2013 8:36 amPosted 1 year ago
    Anonymous

That would be a great site for me as my x always said I thought more about animals than humons it could be true cause they give you unconditional love I should not be on dog sites as some of the stories break my heart x

Thumb up 1 Thumb down 1

July 6, 2013 4:55 pmPosted 1 year ago
    Anonymous

I just discovered this website and am over the moon! it is an answer to a prayer! I can’t wait to tell all my friends!!!!!

Thumb up 0 Thumb down 0

July 18, 2013 9:34 pmPosted 1 year ago
    Caring Husband

Is there a way to contact these people? I’m all grateful to have found this. I don’t like seeing a dog get hurt or die, but I don’t leave the theater. HOWEVER, my gal she leaves or wants to shut it off. That site would have been so useful when we saw World War Z, I thought the dog was going to die and told her to leave the theater for a couple mins. that worked out great….until you don’t really see the dog die. She would have been fine with that. I just like to let that site know that thank you so much for that site, if I can make one suggestion please. could you please have something written in it that tells us how long or get ready for when the dog will get hurt or killed scene? Its just its great it tells us it happens, for people like me who doesn’t want to shut it off because the story is just really good (movies like turner and hooch, and I Am Legend) but wants to make sure to know when to tell my gal to leave or atleast I can tell her to close her eyes while I fast forward the film. Thank You SO much!

Thumb up 0 Thumb down 1

July 18, 2013 9:41 pmPosted 1 year ago
    Caring Husband

Oh and one more suggestion. I like that it says it for movies…..but what about tv shows. For example, super excited to watch House of Cards….but good lord the first 2 mins of the show my gal didn’t wanted to watch it. I watched the rest of the show, but she didn’t want to watch the rest of the show which was I believed she could have loved it, if she hadn’t seen Kevin Spacey kill a dog at the very beginning of the show. So please put tv shows on there as well, I be more than happy to help with that site.

Thumb up 0 Thumb down 0