Foster Dog Saves Man’s Life

cloeChuck Weintraub has been rescuing dogs for years. Last week one of his foster dogs returned the favor when she saved his life.

On July 3rd Weintraub was mowing his lawn when he suffered a heart attack and collapsed. He lay unconscious in his backyard with no one around to help. Then Cloe, a foster dog he took in about a month ago, came to his aid.

Cloe ran to a neighbor to get help, even though she was scared and never liked to leave his side. Cloe, a pit bull mix, was surrendered to the Western Pennsylvania Humane Society and Weintraub began fostering her in May. She had sores on her body and was not socialized. During her time with Weintraub she rarely left his side.

The Brock family, who are neighbors of Weintraub, heard Cloe barking at them. Michael Brock tried to Cloe but she backed up when he tried to get close.

“She reared away from me and went probably 15 feet,” said Michael Brock. “I actually advanced towards her and she ran across the road and sat down again. And she actually did that three or four times until she actually brought me up to this spot.”

Another neighbor, Charleen Deneen, heard to commotion and came to help. Deneen is a registered nurse and began performing CPR on Weintraub. Without Cloe, Weintraub would not have gotten the help he needed in time.

Weintraub, and his neighbors, are all amazed by Cloe’s efforts.

“She was traumatized when they gave her to me. For her to leave the yard, to go to my neighbor’s house, to bring them back to me is stunning,” said Weintraub.

Weintraub is doing better now, equipped with a pacemaker He will continue to foster Cloe and plans to only give her up to the right family.

1. Anonymous says on  07/12/2013 at 8:59 am

Amazing story.

2. Anonymous says on  07/12/2013 at 10:37 am

How can you think of giving her up after she saved his life, she has proven how devoted she is to him, if she were mine she would never have to worry about finding a new home, they should keep her…

3. Anonymous says on  07/12/2013 at 2:23 pm

my dog did the same thing for me he saved my life

4. Anonymous says on  07/12/2013 at 6:26 pm

Why don’t good putty story’s like this make the news?

5. Anonymous says on  07/16/2013 at 10:58 am

He has saved a number of dogs. If he keeps Chloe, he may not be able to help anymore dogs who are just as wonderful. It is incredible what she did for him. You know he will find her a family that will truly deserves her. Not everyone can help dogs like Chloe, and those that can, know they have to keep doing it. You love all your fosters, but you are their pathway, not their destination

6. Andy says on  07/18/2013 at 9:45 pm

GIVE UP the dog who saved your life??? Um NO—this is what you call a “keeper”. Come on man, KEEP THE DOG. Geez.

7. Mon says on  07/22/2013 at 11:21 am

It is sad that he won’t keep her. Not only did she save his life, she basically risked her life saving him.

Sad, but he is a good person for fostering. I hope she finds a great family that realize what as special girl she is.