Young Animal Activist Dies Defending Dog from Animal Abuser

Miguel Ángel Palacios was just 19 years old when he lost his life at the hands of a drunk and armed man that wanted to hurt an innocent miniature Pinscher dog named Jerry.

The homicide happened in Envigado, Colombia on May 4, 2014, at 6:00 a.m.  Palacios and his brother Juan Pablo learned of a neighbor, 33-year-old Jesús Antonio Castaño, who had been drinking all night long and that morning threatened to sever the dog’s head with a machete. Jerry does not belong to Castaño, but at the time of the incident, the drunk criminal had been caring for the dog.

Palacios, a Colombian native born in Miami, avid animal lover, and volunteer at the local animal shelter (Corporación Canes Perdidos/Lost Dogs Rescue) had been visiting Envigado during a school break. When he learned of the animal cruelty that was about to take place, he rushed over to the neighbor’s home and tried to prevent the crime.

Miguel Angel Palacios died defending a small dog (not the one pictures) from an inebriated animal abuser.

The inebriated man, Palacios and Juan Pablo had a heated discussion that escalated to a physical fight where Castaño used the machete and a pocket knife to inflict various lacerations on the animal lovers. The cops were called to the residence and all three men were rushed to a nearby hospital to be treated for injuries.

Both young animal defenders and the drunk animal abuser had a series of lacerations, however the injuries Palacios suffered were too extensive, and he lost his life the following morning.

“We are devastated with the news,” said Diana Carolina Ortiz, director of Lost Dogs Rescue. “Miguel Ángel loved life and all animals and he always wanted to rescue all abandoned dogs that crossed his path.”

Palacios’s mother, Lina María Montoya, was shocked to learn about her son’s death, but since the tragic event took place, Montoya has been comforted by Colombians and international animal lovers who have reached out to her.

World-wide animal lovers want to make sure Palacios’s death does not become another senseless death.

Authorities arrested Castaño as soon as the man was released from the hospital and he now faces criminal charges he must answer and pay for.

As for Jerry, his life was spared and his rightful owner, Albeiro Cortez, decided to honor the young animal activist by giving Jerry to Montoya. After all, Palacios died defending an innocent animal that wasn’t even his own pet.

“I love Jerry,” said Cortez, “he is a loving pet who earned our love, but I understand how difficult this must be [for Palacios’s family] and I know that Jerry will help them remember Miguel Angel and help them heal.”

Miguel Angel is being honored by 25 animal rescue groups who have come together to help Montoya establish a new rescue group called “Miguel Angel’s Ark.” This organization will fight to defend and save homeless and abused animals. Something Palacios believed in and worked towards accomplishing every day.

May 26, 2014 10:42 pmPosted 6 months ago
    Feline Cool

So sorry for the pointless & heartbreaking loss of this wonderful young man! Animal abusers are losers & they harm humans, too. I hope he gets punished to the fullest extent of the law.
    Palacios family, please find comfort & strength ~ take care <3

May 28, 2014 9:32 amPosted 6 months ago
      Anonymous

Many hugs to this young mans family’s loss. Miguel was and always will be a hero, rest in peace sweet boy and know your death will not be in vain. As for the Murderer I hope you rot in jail! This is why Animal Abusers should receive the same punishment as Child Abusers.National Registries need to be made to cross reference All Abusers. It may not have saved this young man, but it could save future people and animals. Anyone who would murder an animal would in my opinion murder a person.

August 4, 2014 1:46 pmPosted 4 months ago

So sorry for your lost

August 4, 2014 1:51 pmPosted 4 months ago
      Anonymous

So sorry for your lost RIP
      RIP it will DE ok

May 26, 2014 10:45 pmPosted 6 months ago
    Anonymous

Miguel reminds me of myself. I love all animals, i don’t care if the animal isn’t mine, if it’s in danger i will be there to help it. He saved Jerry but in return his life was taken. Sad tragedy to lose someone that cares deeply about animals to that level. RIP

May 26, 2014 11:08 pmPosted 6 months ago
    Anonymous

I had been in Colombia and like in others countries does not exist laws to protect animals. I hope this young man murder products laws to protect animals in Colombia and Latin America. God bless his soul and comforts his mon and family.

May 27, 2014 12:43 amPosted 6 months ago
    Michele Pippen

FULL RESPECT to that young man and send all the prayers and strength to the parents of such a brave, courageous young man. The parents must be also very special people. They need to hear that so many thousands had an exceptional son, who will never be forgotten for his love and bravery. He’s in the angels’ arms, safe and loved.

May 27, 2014 4:43 pmPosted 6 months ago
    Anonymous

Wow…just wow. This is a true hero and I hope that drunk bastard gets what he deserves.

May 27, 2014 8:06 pmPosted 6 months ago
    Anonymous

So much love and respect for this brave young man, so he was an angel on earth, he shall now be an angel in heaven where he can watch over all the animals that he loves

May 27, 2014 8:36 pmPosted 6 months ago
    Eve

You’re a hero. I would kick the living f**k out of someone who was going to do that. RIP brave friend xx

May 27, 2014 9:27 pmPosted 6 months ago
    Anonymous

I’m so sorry for your loss. It is great to see young people have the kind of love Miguel did for animals. I think it is a great idea to have a rescue group in his name. What a hero Miguel was for trying to stop that dog from being injured or killed.

May 27, 2014 11:31 pmPosted 6 months ago
    Sandra Sharp

“Greater love has no man than to lay down his life for another” This young Miguel was wise and brave beyond his years. The absurdity that the murderer would use a MACHETE and knife on this UNARMED young man is beyond comprehension! ” Unfortunately, EVIL is rampant in our world today.We fight not against flesh and blood, but against principalities and powers of this dark world, and against the spiritual forces of evil.
    All that Miguel had to offer, in his sacrificial love for animals and humans alike, all the potential to.make a difference snuffed out by this crazy drunk!

May 28, 2014 12:12 amPosted 6 months ago
    Anonymous

So sorry for the tragic loss of an animal rescuer. He is a true hero and must have been an incredible young man. I hope his family finds comfort in continuing the work he loved, helping animals in need. May every animal Miguel Angels Ark saves fill a small void in the hearts of those who loved Miguel. We’ll be looking for donation info to help his name live on. Prayers for Miguel’s friends and family.

May 28, 2014 7:04 amPosted 6 months ago
    Gail Militao

So sad, wonderful young man. A true hero to the end. R.I.P angel!

May 28, 2014 12:18 pmPosted 6 months ago
    Anonymous

He is the perfect example of a real human with a heart for animals who gave his life for another to live. RIP little angel… Now you can help god with all his animals :-)

May 28, 2014 4:02 pmPosted 6 months ago
    Anonymous

R.I.P. young man. The Rainbow Bridge has received a new Angel.

May 28, 2014 11:23 pmPosted 6 months ago
    Anonymous

What a horrible thing to happen. That poor boy for loosing his life. A true hero that he stood up to a crazy, drunk ass who is a waste of human skin. Sad, sad story:(

May 29, 2014 8:27 amPosted 6 months ago
    Anonymous

God knows how kind Miguels heart is….and he served his purpose well on earth, now he is happy with God.

May 29, 2014 5:33 pmPosted 6 months ago
    Anonymous

Im a dog lover too! And I think it was a very senseless death of this young man! Animal cruelty should be outlawed hod bless Miguel for coming to this aid of this little defenseless animal! But at a terrible cost to him and his family!! RIP!!

May 29, 2014 11:46 pmPosted 6 months ago
    Anonymous

RIP young man, he will be well and truly remembered for what he tried to do, rescue an innocent animal from an abusive drunk, hopefully things will all come together really quickly for setting up Miguel’s Angel’s Ark so his dreams and his achievements will live on forever

May 30, 2014 3:55 amPosted 6 months ago
    Andrea

So very sad :-( The world has lost a wonderful and compassionate soul!! RIP Miguel Angel Palacios……………..

May 30, 2014 8:25 pmPosted 6 months ago
    Anonymous

Sorry to read about the young mam who lost his life defending a dog from a drunken man.
    This type hero deserves a medal for his act. It will not be enjoyed by the boy, but will give
    some pleasure to his parents. God bless them all.

June 1, 2014 9:47 pmPosted 6 months ago
    Anonymous

Miguel u r my hero for rescuing animals. Evedently this bastard deserves to go to prison for life. How can u kill some one like that u have no heart u no good for nothing idiot. My heart and prayers go out to Miguel’s family be proud of your son he will always be a very special person.

Woof woof

June 16, 2014 2:27 pmPosted 6 months ago
    Anonymous

I wish that that man was alive he should have not died, and never let a achoholic be in charge of a dog for a couple of days.

DON’T ABUSE ANIMALS

June 25, 2014 12:18 amPosted 5 months ago
    Crissy M

Please, look at what this persons hate has done..

July 8, 2014 9:58 amPosted 5 months ago
    VIGIL

You are a ministering angel in heaven now, for sure, Miguel! Please look kindly upon all those struggling on the planet you left too soon! FOREVER BLESS YOUR HEART OF GOLD!

July 8, 2014 10:08 amPosted 5 months ago
    Freely

They say those whom the gods love they take away early, Miguel. It certainly was the case for you! But you are a saint in your own right now : THANK YOU!

July 16, 2014 3:27 pmPosted 5 months ago
    Pablo Cervantes

Sad story but please…you don’t give your dog a way. Dogs are not presents; they are family.

July 27, 2014 8:56 pmPosted 4 months ago
    Anonymous

So sorry to hear about the boy. My prayers are for the family. I hope he (ABUSER) get the max by the law for this tragic situation. That the organization ANGEL takes flight.

July 28, 2014 9:15 pmPosted 4 months ago
    Anonymous

Wow….this is freaking heartbreaking. Brought me to tears. At 19 he was just starting to live his life. Such an amazing young man. People like him is what we need in this world to make a difference. My prayers go out to his family.

August 7, 2014 4:51 pmPosted 4 months ago
    Loveya*

What a sad story.. ;( But Mr Miguel Ángel Palacios, your legacy will live on and will continue to touch others with a positive aspect. I strongly believe this horrific tragedy will not discourage people to defend the helpless animals from now on, instead all the animal lovers will be more aware and keep on what we’ll do normally, the KIND thing. Rest in peace <3

August 21, 2014 9:03 amPosted 4 months ago
    Anonymous

Something really has to be done about animal abusers and I also mean the ones who take part in activities such as fox hunting, if they have the ability to cause harm, discomfort and even death to animals they also have the ability to do that to other people too, this story is clear evidence of it. Reading this brings me sadness to know such a kind hearted animal lover lost his life to such a pathetic excuse of a human being. RIP Palacios, you will be remembered.

Another thing which also bugs me is why on earth did the owner decide to leave his companion with such a pathetic excuse of a man?!.

September 24, 2014 1:01 amPosted 2 months ago
    taxpayinghorse

His life meant something. He championed a defenseless little fur baby. There was a parade welcoming you at the Rainbow Bridge. I look forward to meeting you one day. Animal lovers of the world, we can only hope our lives will be used in a way that is meaningful protecting those that can’t protect themselves and spreading the gospel. Not in that order of course.

December 5, 2014 6:40 amPosted 15 days ago
    Lilith

Sad about the boys death, but it’s so good to hear people are finally recognising that not all youths are senseless and ignorant. This young man had a compassionate heart and he is an example to all of us. Stand up for what you believe in!

December 13, 2014 2:05 pmPosted 7 days ago
    Jodie

My heart goes out to his family, such a senseless and tragic loss of a young man that would have made such a difference in our lives and the lives of animals. I am so proud of his Mother, to undergo such a tragedy and turn it into a positive. By starting a rescue in his name, that will serve his community and the animals for years to come. His name and deed will be remembered for a long long time to come. I have faced off with people attempting to harm their dogs.and I stopped them. It is extremely scary, but, it has to be done to protect those animals. I have rescued 100’s of cats myself. I took them in fed and cared for them until forever homes could be found. And I cried each time they left me, but, I knew they were going to be well cared for. Speaking of which, I am on my way to deliver a Momma cat and one of her six kittens to their loving forever home right now, I pray that Miguel’s Mother finds peace in the work she will be doing for the animals. I pray that the man who did this gets what he deserves. I pray that the community comes together to pass laws against Animal Cruelty. And once those laws are passed, they will be carried out faithfully. I also pray the sentences are long and very strong.