Dog Almost Dies After Eating Raisins

Charlie is a five-year-old Lab that eats just about everything he can. His appetite almost cost him his life when he jumped onto his owner’s kitchen counter and ate a packet of raisins. It nearly killed him, but veterinarians were able to save his life.

Charlie is a five-year-old Lab that eats just about everything he can. His appetite almost cost him his life when he jumped onto his owner’s kitchen counter and ate a packet of raisins. It nearly killed him, but veterinarians were able to save his life.

Charlie is known to eat sticks, his family’s socks and just about anything he can find. When he ate a packet of raisins from his family’s kitchen counter, his owner Louise Middleton rushed him to the vet. Raisins, along with grapes and currants can cause severe kidney failure in dogs. When she arrived at the vet with Charlie she was told to prepare for the worst. 

The vet quickly started Charlie on dialysis. “Initially, Charlie’s kidneys were not producing any urine at all so he was treated with peritoneal dialysis, allowing for clearance of toxic products normally cleared by the kidneys,” said a spokeswoman for The Royal Dick Vet School. “After a few days of treatment, his kidneys began producing urine again. We are hopeful that his kidney function will continue to improve over time.”

The Middleton’s are thankful that Charlie was able to pull through, though his treatment ran up a large vet bill. “The bill for dialysis, surgery, scans, drugs and intensive care came to £8,000,” said Louise Middleton. Charlie will remain under observation for another week before he will be able to go home.

Even the Dr. Tracy Hill who treated Charlie admits he is lucky to be alive. “Without the dialysis he would have died,” she said. Charlie’s story is an important reminder of the danger that raisins, grapes and currants can be to our dogs. A spokeswoman for the Royal Dick Vet school reminded dog owners to check with their vets about foods that can be dangerous to your dogs, “There are many things that people can eat that are bad for dogs and cats.”

6 thoughts on “Dog Almost Dies After Eating Raisins

  1. It’s also important for owners to be aware of the dangers from your dog eating batteries. A lot of toys and stuffed animals have batteries and if your puppy likes to chew on things and tear them apart, they can easily injest the battery.

    1. there’s quite a few edible things that are no good for your dog. Had no idea some of these (the non-obvious ones) we’re really bad for your pet, just like the raisins. some good tips on what to avoid inside and outside – http://bit.ly/10k1hSv

  2. Sometimes I wonder if the dog is missing certain nutrients in his sytem that compels him to eat everything.

    When I was young, I kept eating ice cubes. Turned out I was anemic and eating ice cubes was one of the symptoms.

    Glad the dog is doing much better.

  3. Many pet owners do not realize the dangers of a lot of ‘people’ food. I always thought my mom’s warning not to feed our Chihuahua grapes was because they were a choking hazard. I never realized they heeded a much greater danger until I became an overprotective (dog) mom! When my fiance and I got our first dog together, we made the decision that he only ate dog food. He does get (safe) veggies here and there, and baby carrots as a snack. I know of too many dog owners who have overweight dogs because they insist on feeding them table scraps. Yes, they love your leftover pizza crust, but that extra weight will lead to poor health down the road.

    1. **After I posted and re-read my comment, I realized it may come off wrong. I am not accusing these pet parents of intentionally feeding their dog raisins. I live with a counter surfing champ, and I know that if it’s within an arms length from him, it’s his!

  4. Theories say it’s not the raisins/grapes themselves, but toxic pesticide residues that causes danger of life to dogs. Which in turn would explain why some dogs that ate them get in to trouble and even die and some show no problems at all. ..Btw: Checked your dry dog foods for grape seed extract or oil? It’s quite common in dog food..

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.