Study shows herbicides used on house plants and grass are linked to cancer in dogs

Dogs could directly ingest the cancer-causing chemicals from grass, or they could lick their paws or fur and ingest chemicals that have been picked up on their feet, legs or body.

Photo Credit: Katherine Bonfante

How many times have you let your dog nibble on some grass? A study done by the journal Science of the Total Environment found that your pet is inhaling, ingesting and transferring the cancer-causing pesticide to you as well.  Perhaps now you won’t allow this behavior anymore.

According to Discovery News the study found chemicals such as 2,4-dichlorophenoxyacetic acid (2,4-D), 4-chloro-2- methylphenoxypropionic acid (MCPP) and/or dicamba, used in common herbicides, were linked to causing bladder cancer.

In an interview with Discovery News, Deborah Knapp of Purdue University’s Department of Veterinary Clinical Sciences said:  “[Dogs] could directly ingest the chemicals from the plant, or they could lick their paws or fur and ingest chemicals that have been picked up on their feet, legs or body.”

The study listed Scottish terriers, West Highland white terriers, Shetland sheepdogs, beagles and wire hair fox terriers as breeds with a higher risk to developing cancer from exposure to herbicides.

The full study will be published in the July issue of Science of the Total Environment. Learn more about the study by reading Discovery News’ article “Dogs Absorb Lawn Chemicals.”

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.