A Redding, California nurse saved her dog’s life using chest compressions after the dog went into anaphylactic shock following a course of heartworm medication.
Back in March, five-year-old Stella was given heartworm treatment, and not long after, started feeling poorly. Nancy Salyer noticed that her dog had been throwing up and was scarcely breathing.
“I knew she didn’t feel good… I just thought she was nauseated from the medication. I didn’t realize vomiting in a dog can mean anaphylaxis so I just felt guilty and horrible and thought this is not going to happen we can fix this,” she explained.
Salyer, who is an intensive care unit nurse at Shasta Regional Medical Center, sprang into action and began performing CPR on Stella.
“With her medical knowledge she probably went ahead and started CPR and got her dog breathing again, it’s incredible,” said veterinarian Chavon Pryor.
She says it’s crucial for pet owners to know how to perform the life-saving technique on their animals.
“You can help you save your dog in a time of emergency,” said Dr. Pryor. “Check airway, breathing, respiration; are we breathing, is your heart circulating, what’s going on make sure nothing is stuck in the throat and then start performing CPR.”
The nurse performed CPR for about an hour before arriving at the pet hospital, and feels very fortunate that her girl pulled through. She has a number of rescue dogs and cats, and they mean the world to her.
“They’re my family, I live alone out here, alone as you can be with a million critters around,” Salyer said.
Always do your research before giving your pets medications. Many drugs can cause adverse reactions and death.
For information on how to use CPR on a dog, click here.