Letter to the Woman Who Abandoned Her 17-Year-Old Pet

5.1.15 - Letter to the Woman Who Abandoned Her 17-Year-Old Pet1
stock photo

From Canine Haven, a safe haven for rescue dogs from all over the world:

You decided that you wanted to move to an apartment that didn’t allow pets (and by the way, landlords are forbidden to do this in Toronto). I don’t know what lured you. Maybe it was a boyfriend or a girlfriend. Maybe it was a great view. Maybe you liked the woodwork. At any rate, it was more important to you than she was. So you took her down to the shelter, still wearing her cute little pink leopard collar with a bow, and you cheerfully wrote on the card that she was very healthy for her age and friendly and just likes to sleep in the sun! I guess you knew her pretty well – you put her birthday down on the card, too, making me believe you’ve probably had her for her entire life.

Then you left, secure in your rationalization that somehow, in the midst of kitten season, your seventeen-year-old cat would find a home. The shelter took a picture of her scared face and big eyes and put it on the web.

For two weeks, I looked at that picture. I hoped someone else would see her fear and feel compelled to help her, but the public wasn’t seeing her. She was back in isolation, getting vitamin B shots and subcutaneous fluids. The tech wrote “depressed” on her card. I’m not surprised. I’d be depressed too if I went from “sleeping in the sun” to a metal cage with a thin layer of newspaper.

Finally today, I couldn’t stand it anymore. I felt too guilty thinking about her sitting in that cage at her age. So I went down and I got her, and now she’s curled up on a fleece baby blanket in a cat tree in my bathroom. When I go in there, she rubs her head on my hand.

Today, I cleaned up your mess. I felt worse for your cat than you did. And all over the city, other rescuers did the same. They rescued your abandoned cats and dogs and bunnies and exotics. And we all wondered the same thing as we did it: How could you create this situation? How is it that you feel no remorse? How is it that you were you able to walk away from an animal you shared your home with for a year, ten years, fifteen years, knowing that they might die because of your actions?

I’ll never meet you to ask you those questions. I just hope I meet the person who will be good enough to give your baby that sunny spot to sleep for the rest of her life (however long that is). She deserves it, and it’s a crying shame you didn’t have the decency to give it to her.

666 thoughts on “Letter to the Woman Who Abandoned Her 17-Year-Old Pet”

1. I adopted an obese kitty in North Florida,she was 8 years old. Her former owner took her to my cat’s veterinarian,and wanted her put down,because “she’s always bugging me,rubbing up against me.” My vet refused,but told the woman if she would sign her over,they would find her a home. I adopted her. Karma is a very sweet girl. She is demanding,wants a clean litter box always,and will LOUDLY tell me when it needs to be scooped. I don’t mind…she’s hilarious,she does things no fat chick should do,jumping,climbing,and she purrs like a V8. I love her so much. I hope that awful woman that gave her up never takes home another pet. I’m working on getting Karma’s weight down,and she has a home with me for the rest of her life.

2. We can only hope Karma catches up with these uncaring lowife humans. My poodle was 20 years and died in my arms then by Lhasa had to be helped over the rainbow but he too died in my arms, If an apt wouldn’t take my dog then they didn’t gget me. I say shame,shame,shame. Hang your muserable head in shame, Thanks to all who take an aged pet from the shelter.God bless you.

• I have a german shepherd mix and was looking for an apartment here in charlotte a couple of years ago. This particular complex considers gsd an aggressive breed. The agent had the nerve to ask if this would be a deal breaker. Of course I didn’t say what I was thinking. Too many people have this mentality that animals are disposable. It never amazes how some people think. I would rather live in my car then get rid of my baby.

3. My cat just passed away a few months ago .I am old , I always had worried that I would pass away before he did and no one would want him because he was old . I feel like a peice of my heart went with him when he died , but I am so glad he did go first as I know he was always loved by me and well cared for . I want another cat so much it hurts but will not get one because if I die who would give him the love and care he needed so I live without the unconditional love of another cat . It makes me cry ..

• June,
      So very sorry for the loss of your loved one. I bet you’re younger than you think. I bet if you rescue a four-legged creature, you’d feel even younger. You sound so sweet.

• Have you ever thought of fostering? Many rescues really need fosters and are willing to work with any age person. I understand he need for a pet. Being alone can be unbearable at times. I hope this helps.

• Yes, fostering is a good idea. Heck, you never know. You may just become a mother to one of those “foster babies”. Good luck to you.

• if you cant be a forever home to a cat because of your fear and I understand it. Maybe you could be a foster mom while your fur babies are waiting for a forever home. Here you get to do a much needed job. Fostering babies young and old.

• You could foster OR adopt a senior pet. That is my plan when the furbabies I have now leave me. Seems the seniors go begging because of kittens or puppies or younger pets. But with seniors you don’t have to go through the chewing or messy stages. They’re more mellow and settled in. I know in my physical and health situation and age I would not be able to walk a pup or young dog but could manage a nice slow stroll. Just something to think about.

4. Such letters should not even be necessary. If one has a pet… It’s for life ! To the wonderful rescuer….. fantastic.

5. I have 5 cats ranging in age from 7 months to 18 years. I have passed up astoundingly cheap rents, beautiful homes, and excellent neighborhoods simply because of a glaring “NO PETS” policy in the ad. My cats are my babies. Just try and taken them away from me and see what happens.

6. In the past three years I have lost three of my kitty girls aged 23, 22 and 21. I was with them when they cried at night, my vet said it was dementia. I cleaned up when they couldn’t get to the litter box. I carried them to the bed when they couldn’t make it themselves. Two passed on their own. My Boo had cancer and had to be put to sleep. I held her in my arms until she was gone. My Lucky girl is still young but I will be with her as long as she needs me. I am not a crazy cat lady. I have 7 grandchildren who I adore and visit often. I am married and work full time. Anyone who can give up a treasured family member is lower than low and has no place in the family of Man

7. charities and the historical failure of animal research, what charities will never tell you, on my FB and YT (sorry about going off topic!).