Man Chooses Homelessness Rather Than Abandon Pit Bull

12.6.14 - Man Chooses Homelessness over Abandoning Dog

Dave Antonucci is a homeless man living by the side of some railroad tracks in Linden, New Jersey.  He cannot find a proper place to live because of his dog Petey, who is a pit bull.  Dave says Petey is his son, and he’d rather be homeless than give him up.

Dave has been out on the streets for a long time.  People remember seeing Dave pushing Petey in a cart when he was only a puppy, and he is almost two now.

“He walks the streets all day, and if nobody offers him a place, he sleeps on the side of the tracks,” says Bob Scutro, who started a fundraiser for them.  “They walk many miles a day, as can be seen by Petey’s shape and feet.”

12.6.14 - Man Chooses Homelessness over Abandoning Dog3

Though Dave receives Supplemental Security Income (SSI), he cannot be accepted into an assisted living program as long as Petey is with him.  The same goes for any homeless shelters in the area.  He has already lost everything else, and refuses to give up his family member.

“We’ve been together day and night, ever since I’ve gotten him,” Dave told News 12 New Jersey. “He’s like my son. You know, ‘cause I don’t have no kids in life.”

Thankfully, there are many fine people in this world who are willing to help.  Bob and other good Samaritans are collecting clothing, food, and other supplies for the pair.  One person said:

12.6.14 - Man Chooses Homelessness over Abandoning Dog7

I met Dave last night at the Walmart in Linden…. I had brought over dog food, milk bones (which Petey tore through in five minutes), and an old dog bed so Petey wouldn’t have to sit on the cold ground… spoke to Dave for a good hour, then went in Walmart… got Dave some food and Petey some dog toys.

I then loaded them in my car and drove them to where he was supposed to stay last night, but no one was there.  Now on a mission… called Robert C Scutro, his original advocate, and we both started making calls.

Thanks to Maria Lynn we secured him a temporary place to stay; this picture is Petey enjoying his new toys in a warm place to stay.  Keep sharing and please donate if you can… when people come together, we can do amazing things!

12.6.14 - Man Chooses Homelessness over Abandoning Dog4

The main goal is to get them into a home where Petey can stay while Dave works, but for now, temporary housing is the first priority.  He would be more than happy to rent someone’s basement or garage.  But Bob says the fundraiser’s aim is to get Dave into a place where the rent will be covered for a year, long enough to get him back on his feet.  Bob was kind enough to bring them in for a night.

“The next morning when I walked in and saw Dave and Petey warm and sound asleep on the couch with their arms around each other, not even knowing I was there, it made me know it was the right thing.”

Dave has not asked for any of this himself.  He is more concerned about making sure that his boy – who is fairly healthy – is well cared for.  There are plans for Petey to be fully vetted on Monday.

12.6.14 - Man Chooses Homelessness over Abandoning Dog5

Dave has basic skills and can do yard work to earn money.  He just wants to be self-sufficient again, and is overwhelmed by all the visitors and help he and Petey are receiving.

Anyone interested in donating clothing should note that Dave wears M/L, pant size 30×30, and boot size 9.5.  He could really use some (L/XL) sweaters/hoodies, (sweat-wicking) socks, wash cloths, dog food and dog toys (ball, Kong).  If you would like to donate online, please CLICK HERE.  To donate (food) gift cards, clothing, food, etc. please call Gina Lewis at 908-230-5644, or send items to

Bob Scutro

300 W. Curtis St

Linden NJ 07036

UPDATE  12/13/14  –  After a local news broadcast, a number of friends who had fallen out of touch got in contact with Dave.  There were nearly 50 offers of places to live – from New Jersey to California – but Dave politely declined, because now, along with Petey, he is staying with one of his friends in his hometown of Rahway, NJ.  Bob – the man who started the fundraiser – is still considering what to do with all the excess donations.  He may return them, or perhaps give them to another worthy cause.

0 thoughts on “Man Chooses Homelessness Rather Than Abandon Pit Bull”

1. Dave what you are doing for Petey is absolutely admirable, you are such an inspiration to me. I do hope you get back on your feet soon and fine a safe place for you and Petey. That good Samaritan/s are so incredibly kind, god bless you!

• You are awesome and I am sorry that you have to go through this because of ignorant people who do not understand that it isn’t the breed it is those who choose to raise a dog mean that gives them a bad name. I have had two dogs that are on the list of being “bad, aggressive, etc.” and both were the biggest babies and I wouldn’t let anyone make me give them up either. I wish the best and the best in your search.

• Just look at that face on this furbaby. You can see he is a sweetheart but a little on the sad side. I hope they are both doing better. It’s so sad that people worry more about money than about keeping people together with their pets!

• I am literally in tears from this story. I know exactly how he felt.. I would rather be homeless than let go of my baby girl! I have had her since she was three weeks old and she will be three this year! I could not imagine not sleeping cuddled up next to her for even a night! I have lost multiple homes because of her breed. Places allow dogs but the moment they find out her breed its back on the streets. Im so tired of losing my home and everything else with it, but NONE of it can compare to the love I feel for this dog. I have researched multiple shelters but none allow pets so I am getting discouraged but we will not give up!! I just hope that we encounter such kind and compassionate people on our journey as well!! SO glad you guys are doing well!!

2. MAY JEHOVAH TAKE YOU AND PETEY UNDER HIS LOVING ARMS YOU ARE A GREAT PERSON TO LOVE YOUR BABY SO MUCH I UNDERSTAND WHAT IT IS TOO LOVE SOMEONE LIKE THAT TOO MANY PEOPLE THINK ITS OK TO ABUSE A PET BUT BELIEVE ME JEHOVAH IS THERE FOR YOU BLESSINGS THIS YEAR JOANNE

• Joanne you are so right and we can all look forward to when Our Father Jehovah will soon end the hungry situation for all mankind. However until that day we all should watch over our fellow man when they are unable to care for themselves. If we ourselves are able to share with Dave or any other who do not have the bear necessities we should. I just got a fulltime job after 4 years. I plan to also assist Dave and Petey asap. Please join in my friends and help with him or others in your community. May Jehovah watch over us all and may we all seek the Kingdom.

• Joanne & Kay
        When people use Jehovah’s name it makes me SO happy, he deserves all the credit. I too have been helping those who have pets and are in need. Jehovah loves the animals too, so when we who can, help others in need, do so we know he is smiling down on us. I would choose my dogs any day over a place to live but thankfully I don’t have to. Kudos to those who are able to help! Jehovah will bless your efforts.

3. Us animal lovers understand your plight Dave!!! I have 2 dogs and a cat and would do as you are doing too if I had to. I had to stay with my son a while back and couldn’t bring my dog inside so I kept him in my car until I could get my own place. This went on for 2 months until I found a job and talked the landlord into letting me pay a deposit for him to come inside. My niece told me to “Just give him away” and of course I didn’t!!! Dave you and Petey are in my prayers. Things will get better just stay with God and hang in there!!!

4. So the lazy sack went and got a puppy while he was homeless? Now he expects the world to pay for everything for him. Lose the dog, get a job.

• Hey Anonymous, you more than likely don’t want to give your name because of being a heartless ass, Dave propably found the dog abandoned as a puppy because of pieces of crap people that can do that type thing.So he actually saved a living sole. I don’t usually wish bad for anyone but people like you deserve something to happen so that you get a little taste of it.

• Maybe if you spelled “you’re” right and didn’t hide behind “Anonymous” someone would care about your opinion, you completely unintelligent sack of shit.

• “Anonymous”. I feel sorry for you. You’re probably at a point in your life where you need to find some courage to do something amazing. Instead, you’re acting like an imbecile. Did mummy not love you enough? Get over yourself.

• When people are given a forum to air THEIR thoughts, I would think they would try to act mature and not resort to a school child mentality. To those who react to petty name calling then lapse into cursing show an extreme lack of maturity and education and frankly, lose their credibility. We are all allowed our opinion, but I would hope in an educated manner. I also find compassion lacking in these arguments.

• Boy, I’ll bet you’re a ray of sunshine to live with, do us all a favour and please don’t have pets or children as your lack of empathy is frightening.

• hey anonymous i wish i could meet you one day and show you how to live. all you are is ignorant and selfish. and by the way crawl back under your rock and leave us alone.
      what this guy is doing for this man and his dog is tremendous i aplaude you, you are a good person. this pour guy needs all the help he could get.

• Your entitled to your opinion, but there’s no need to call him names. He did not ask for our help, hes appreciative and he plans on paying it forward… I hope if your life ever took a turn for the worst no matter the cause, you would have people to help you.
      Best Regards ….

• sorry you have such a terrible outlook on things, you must never had the love of an animal in your life or you wouldn’t think this way, Love and light to you

• You are crying out for attention by making such a stupid comment. It must be really lonely in your world. Go take meds for your condition, you’re sick dude.

• You should be ashamed of yourself the way you speak,hope karma catches up with you, you are one heartless person

• you are a total ass…..who needs people like you.
      someday you may need help, so you better watch out.

• Who do you think you are to judge? YOU do not know everything!
      Do a reality check! Instead of judging why don’t you give a helping
      hand? GOD knows all our hearts and does not give up on any of
      us! Thank goodness GOD is not like you! I will pray for YOU and
      others like YOU1
      GOD BLESS!

• he isnt a lazy sack first off and he had the dog before he lost his home. they gave him two choices get rid of the dog or lose your home. he loved the dog engough to get evicted. dont hate on the man. i love pitbulls. i have a 11 year old female and i love her to death. pitbulls arnt agressive, its the people that mistreat them that make those dogs hurt others. just like guns… guns dont hurt others, the person holding the gun did… so go hate somewhere else.

• I don’t see why either should suffer, man or the dog! Hardly a sympathetic comment, “lazy sack” (by someone who never had a fur companion?)

5. OMG. I wish I had the resources to help Dave and the dog. They deserve it more than many other people who take advantage of the system. Remember no good deed goes unpunished.

6. I lost my husband a year ago today,half of me is gone. The thing is are animals are and were our kids. A real human was put on this earth to love and care for all living things. Mr. Anonymous should be getting your pity not your anger he is the reason the world is the way it is today. Full of hate. He is ignorant and does not know any better, stop arguing with him. It is what he wants. If I could get Dave to Florida, I have a mobile home he could live in and help me out on the farm. I pray he gets the help he needs.

• Juanita, you are a wonderful person. I am hoping we can get enough donations to fly him there with his dog. You just offered him the perfect opportunity at a chance to change his life and be safe. If only more people can open their heart like this, the world would be a better place. THANK YOU

• You could look into some of the animal transport groups that might help by transporting Dave and Petey. That would be a fantastic thing if enough people could look into this and try and get them there or, enough donations to fly him there. His life would absolutely change for the better and Juanita, you are a fabulous person to open your heart to this man. He obviously is a good soul as well and will be a tremendous help to you.

• contact the phone number that was listed and make the offer. Maybe a network of people could get him down there if he is willing to relocate..k