Nitro’s Law

I ask that you take this in, visit the links provided, and do your best to spread the word. Each of us can influence this injustice in our own way, and a collective push could make the difference. I’ve provided an excerpt from a Facebook note below the video, but there is much more information available here and here.

This is tough to watch, but please do: it could very well signal the start of a movement to see that these dogs did not perish in vain.

This bill dies on Dec.31st after sitting for almost one year with no progress, because of the OHIO senate. HELP us to demand better for these hero dogs and all companion animals of Ohio & contact Chairman Tim Grendell Phone: (614) 644-7718 Email: [email protected] and PLEASE drop a line to Senator Seitz [email protected] who will vote NO on NITRO’S LAW because he doesn’t support FELONY LAWS for animal abusers because of ‘prison overcrowding’, “I am inclined not to support HB 70 because of prison overcrowding and the attendant fact that we will only make that problem worse by creating more felony offenses”–William J. Seitz.

On October 22, 2008 an elite dog training & boarding facility ‘High Caliber K-9’ in Youngstown, Ohio was raided. Steve Croley owner & trainer of High Caliber was arrested, charged, convicted on just 4 misdemeanor infractions for starving 19 dogs, 8 of which died. NITRO’S LAW is a legacy and testament in honor of a family’s Rottweiler that was starved to death at this man’s hands. Ohio House Bill 70  NITRO’S LAW passed the house but has been shelved in the Senate for nearly a year with time now running out. 8 dogs gave their life for a better Ohio…

Life With Dogs post end paw print

50 thoughts on “Nitro’s Law”

1. I can’t even believe he really got off?  And his only punishment is to never own another animal? NICE LIGHT SLAP ON THE WRIST FOR HIM..WHERE It WAS A HARD PUNCH IN THE FACE TO YOU AND ALL THE OTHER FAMILIES. What is this world coming to, what is our society teaching our children? That an animal has no value? That their lives are nothing, they mean nothing?  I am an animal lover, and all 8 of ours are OUR FAMILY MEMEBERS!!!!  CASE CLOSED!! If there was a fire I would run in to save my CANINE & FELINE CHILDREN as I would my HUMAN children. What that MONSTER did is incomprehensible. 3 we adopted from our shelter and the rest were strays. The guinea pig we got from someone and bought another one from the store so our first could have a companion.. This video is so heartbreaking. I cried the whole time. I can’t even imagine what Poor Nitro and his friends went through…I can’t even believe someone didn’t take matter into their own hands and beat the crap out of this MONSTER… My heart aches to see such a disturbing video. And I just can’t understand how someone can do this to a poor helpless dog; who couldn’t even save themselves… I will do what I can to get my voice heard for these beautiful ‘VOICELESS ANGELS”  My hope and dream…to win the lottery and buy a mountain and start a facility. With the name of ..”VOICELESS ANGELS” for the care of unwanted, mistreated, abandon and abused and stray animals.

My condolences to you and to all the other families that suffered this horrific act on your beloved family memebers…My heart goes out to you all..NITRO AND ALL THE OTHERS WILL LIVE ON!!!

2. I love animals and our family has adopted many unwanted dogs and given them the lives they should have had all along. This video has moved me tremendously and at first I thought I might throw up, but then I just simply cried in the horror, the sadness and the needless suffering of these and so many other dogs.

I do not believe that I will let anyone other than family ever be in charge of any of our dogs and will keep them safe with me, even if I have to be home for the rest of my life.

3. Well, a lot of people are a lot more aware of animal abuse now thanks to The Gentle Barn in CA, Ellen deGeneres, and Alyssa Milano. Ohio does not have a very good name nationwide as a result of what happened in Cadiz, Oh with the so-called dog pound there and their three incompetent commissioners. The members of the Senate should be ashamed of themselves. Vote them OUT!!! I wrote to Gov. Kasich, but never got an answer. I also wrote to Senator Grenville (sp) who is the one who could get this passed but again got no answer. I feel like they do not listen to anyone except those who can grease their palms. If any of you Senators are reading this, Iam not the only one who feels like that either! WHY can’t they do something to help animal life for once…I am not too happy with the House either…yes, they passed it, but it is not the bill it should have been. I am totally disgusted with the Senators who are keeping this from passing. Merry Christmas…NOT!…to each and every one of you who does not allow this to pass! Yes, I am angry.

4. Those senators, to me, are idiots…especially the one who said he will not pass Nitro’s Law because of prison overcrowding. Shame, shame, shame on that Senator. Please, voters, get him out of there next election. Heartless people have no business making decisions that affect all of us!

5. I just watched and am very angry and saddened. I can;t help but wonder why these animals were left there so long that they starved to death. Forgive me but this takes time for this to happen. Why haven’t the owners checked on their beloved pets on a weekly basis if they were boarded, or were there to be trained. I can;t imagine a place where you can not check up on your pet. I had boarded my dog a reputable boarding facility, one time and when i called to see how he was doing and heard the man on the phone yelling to the barking dogs in the background I had my parents pick up my dog right away. I was only gone for 5 days, but he was out of there the day after he was dropped off. So why were these doge there that long? it makes no sense. I feel for the people that lost their pets, I know how a pet can become one of our family (kids), but we are ultimately responsibility for our pets. yes this gentleman did wrong, and the punishment does not even start to fit the crimes he committed. I would never leave my dogs that long and not check on them. I will sign the petition b/c we need better dog laws, we also need better owners.

• Sorry, can’t hold my comment any longer. Crowley was their trainer, someone they worked with for years, someone they trusted. They had a medical emergency that had them traveling to NJ for long periods of time to care for a dying family member. They are not to blame, and I am getting a little bothered, ok a lot bothered, by people placing any blame on the families. How do you know they didn’t call? Do you think Crowley is going to say, “Oh, I’m starving them, hope you don’t mind”, when they called to check how things were going? We need to place the blame where it belongs, on the monster who did this and the few people who saw what he was doing (or not doing in this case) and on NO ONE ELSE.

6. That was so hard to watch. I just don’t understand humans. If you don’t like animals then don’t get them or take care of them for others. You will meet your maker someday and I hope you get what you deserve. My profile pic is what it will look like when I go to be shortly. My and my Rotti all hugged up tight. She loves for me to hug her tightly when we go to sleep.