Tearful Reunion for Family and Dog Believed Dead

Unable to afford emergency care after a freak backyard accident, A California family relinquished their dog to the SPCA to be euthanized nearly two weeks ago. Frank Martinez said he and his wife have been grieving the loss of Kayla since then – and could not believe it when they learned that she was still alive this weekend.

Martinez said Kayla was injured when she fell. “The concrete was wet and she slipped and fell on a spike we used to keep the dog tied to go round and round. It ripped a huge hole in her chest,” said Martinez.

The family rushed Kayla to a vet, and were devastated to learn that they could not afford the charges necessary to treat her. It became clear in a matter of days that she would succumb to her injuries, so they brought her to the Central California SPCA to be euthanized and said a painful goodbye.

“I gave her a huge hug and I told her I was so sorry I was poor and I hoped she could forgive me and then she got off and they took her around the corner, and that was the last I seen of her,” said Martinez.

That was June 20. “It was very hard, very difficult, we were crying constantly. Everywhere I looked, I would imagine her being there,” said Francine Martinez.

On Friday, the SPCA called the family to deliver some very good news. Moved by the heartfelt farewell they had witnessed, employees had decided to take on Kayla as a special case – and they saved her life.

Martinez was speechless. “I was having a heart attack. I was overcome with emotion,” said Martinez.

The relieved family retrieved Kayla this weekend, and cameras were rolling when they were reunited with the dog they thought they had lost.

48 thoughts on “Tearful Reunion for Family and Dog Believed Dead”

1. Great outcome for the dog IF those STUPID OWNERS learn their lesson about not safeguarding it from harm! This story does not ring true to me…We’ve owned Weimaraners (which the dog in this story is) and they are not an inexpensive breed. A rough starting price point is going to be in the neighborhood of $1,000. Even to get one from a rescue org is at least about $200 here so this story sounds a little fishy. Also, just as I would never deny a family member surgery I would also not deny my dog because my dog IS FAMILY!!!!! The vet offices would have some way to offer that family a payment plan. The vets have hearts and know how families feel about their pets and usually work with them when costs are high. I think that family should NOT have been given the dog back and the SPCA should have found another family who would have taken better care of it! I just pray that they have learned their lesson and will be better pet owners but I doubt it. Sorry, no mercy here for people who do not take good care of their pets who ARE family.

• My vet, whom I and members of my family have been going to for years refuses to provide any sort of credit. They quote a price and if you can’t pay it they’ll refuse to treat. One of the reasons my dogs go to low-cost clinics now for shots is because we couldn’t afford the office charges for 5 animals.

There are more ways than rescues and breeders to get a dog that is either pure or near pure. She could’ve been in the pound – purebred dogs show up there all the time, they just don’t have papers. When we got our shepherd mix from the local animal control there were three pure border collies and two pure corgies there also.

• Lin, and just what veterinarians do you know that would allow people to make payments??? They are RARE! And only if you’ve gone to them for some time, and many won’t even then. I used to work as a vet tech, so I know what I”m talking about. Few vets will take time payments. So get down off your high horse, you aren’t as smart as you think you are!

• Judi, perhaps the vet you worked for would not help their patients and families tbut the vets we’ve had experience with over these decades have been very accommodating. It’s not just me, I know of many of my pet owning friends who’ve had the same experience with our local vets. Neither my friends or myself would continue with a vet who doesn’t care about their patients.

It’s surprising though to think that as a vet tech you would not recognize that these dog owners were not very responsible people. Look at the facts, Judi, these people were irresponsible and that irresponsibility lead to this dog’s trouble.

My posting has nothing to do with my being on a high horse, it’s about caring and compassion for this poor animal, a part of this conversation which I think seems to be lacking in some of these comments. It amazes me the anger some posters have towards people who care about this dog when the anger should be directed at the people who caused this poor dog so much harm.

• get a grip !!! they call them accidents for a reason …hello ?…so if I put my child (dog) in a round, temperature controlled,well lit, padded room (wall’s and floor & roof of course) and said dog runs jumps and has a heart attack and dies ….I am a crimminal in your eyes ?? seriously ?? maybe I should have had a full physical done before I let fido play for a few minutes ??…omg !! please get real and rethink this a little…if they made sure she was spayed and kept up to date on shots and did not look uncared for or abused well fed and groomed then why in the world would you get this idea ??

• Dear LinJ 47, your opinion about vets having hearts is correct for the most part,but I have a view of a vet practice that is NOT the same. A very dear friend and her fur baby were in an accident and fur baby was badly injured and rushed to the animal hospital on a saturday afternoon. the vet on call met them there and rushed in and saved fur baby’s life,which we were all VERY thankful for ! my friend was told that as she was unable to pay the bill in full he would take what she could give and would accept $75.00 each month till the bill was paid off. On monday she got a call from the office manager asking that the bill be paid in full. when it was explained about the emergency and the arrangements that had been made,she was informed that this office would not accept these terms and if the bill was not paid in full in 30 day’s she would face collection action, the wonderful vet that saved the day and was willing to help with payment terms was told to ‘find another practice that “better suited ” him,and was “relieved of duty as he did not have the authority to make these arrangements with clients owners. sadly this story is true, the vet on duty was fired for having a heart….

2. Cerues–Maybe it’s the difference in our locations but the vets out here work with their patrons because sometimes the bills do add up. If those people had been “good customers” for a while, they would have built up a rapport with the doctor and the doctor would have worked with them. If a vet refuses then I would have taken the dog to another vet! That vet has no heart! — Remember, they took that dog home from the vet and tried to “treat it” themselves for a while. How well do you think that went? If the wounds that dog had were that bad, how on earth did they think they could have handled them on their own? How could they have let the dog suffer like that? Would they do that with their kid?

I disagree — there must have been a bit of a price for that Weim, it didn’t look too old and I am sure that it must have cost something. I still say that there’s something not ringing true here with those people. They obviously do not know how to take care of a dog -#1-because they had that poor dog exposed to that sharp spike that they admitted the dog ran round and round all the time — #2-they tried to home treat a serious wound that was beyond their capabilities & #3 when you have a pet you must expect to be responsible for the unexpected and that includes costly medical issues. If they can’t take on those responsibilities both physical and financial than they shouldn’t have a dog. It’s not a toy that if it “breaks” you throw it away and get another one. Shame on them. I feel badly for that dog!

• Lin, you are a fool! Most vets do not take payments. You are also mean spirited. And how do you know the dog wasn’t given to them? Quit “assuming” what you don’t know. To assume is asinine.

• Dear “Anonymous”,

If being mean spirited translates to not defending such irresponsible dog owners, then count me in.

If you are suggesting that the dog was possibly “given to them” I’d consider that an “assumption” — that would make you asinine.

As I stated above to Judi, it amazes me the anger some posters have towards people who care about what suffering happened to this dog when the anger should be directed at the people who caused this poor dog so much harm.

• I also question how a dog “slipped on wet concrete” & how did they get a Sharp spike into the ground? I have seen stake outs in the store & they do not have sharp tops but rather a loop type handle.. A whole lot of fishy in the story..

3. BRAVO Jeanne! You obviously KNOW how to treat a Weim let alone ANY dog! Our Weims always LIVED with us and were never tied up to anything and treated as family. We’ve spent over 35 years of our lives with Weims and know the breed well. What a shame that this poor dog ever had to live with these ignorant people.

• They did say they had bathed her and due to wet concrete when she was “pegged “out to dry she slipped and was injured. NOWHERE does it say that this is a chained dog or abused in any other way. Some of the older style tangle proof pigtail spikes did have a bit of a pointier top-the new ones are very flat. Accidents happen- all you holier than thou people, assuming these people are poor owners- have you NEVER had an accident with any of YOUR pets. Maybe she was tethered to dry to stop her rolling in mud, and, if, like my babies when washed , went “clean dog crazy”, mine do- spinning and cheek planting etc. Live long with your people Kayla. The SPCA workers saw the love you had with your people, and gave you all this second chance.

• Jeanne and Lin,
      I’ve been a weimaraner owner for over 40 years and have been a member of Weim rescue for 20 years. I agree. Weims are family dogs, loving and loyal. Not to be staked out in the yard. The only acceptable time to stake them is at field trials and that is for a short time. My rescue group would never turn that dog back to those people. We hear so many poor excuses as to why they can’t keep their dog or care for it. If you love it you will find a way. They could of called a rescue group instead of choosing to kill their dog. I would not consider them “loving dog owners”. Please let the Fresno shelter know how you feel ! I did.

• Yes, because “love” not only makes the world go around, it also magically pays all the vet bills they couldn’t afford.

Where were they to get the money from? Hmm? Really?

I don’t agree with the staking, either, but we don’t know if they had a fence or what. Should they have let the dog run loose in the neighborhood when it had to do its business? They made a dumb decision in hindsight, but so have we all. Get a grip. I’m glad the SPCA saw something you obviously didn’t.

4. I’m sorry but its about time that they do for families that love their animals but in a accident can’t afford the vets cause again their prices are so high no one can afford it….. and insurance hahaah some don’t even have that on themselves….the world is crazy and its time we realize money isn’t eveything, our family meaning our animals need assistance to at times of trouble and if the aspca can’t or won’t help us ~who will……if they are a shelter and rescue, not just a killing factory…its just about time. and yes people see as a killing factory where u bring yor pets to be put down for many reasons such as this. if u can’t fix your dog OH TURN HIM OVER TO THE ASPCA THEIR KILL HIM FOR U…….

5. I agree … staking ANY dog out, particularly on a sharp spike … is cruel. What is the point of having a dog if you don’t let it live with you? And Weimaraners … for god sake! They are not Rottweilers, not guard dogs! There is something not right about this story – it is cruel and irresponsible to treat a serious injury like that at home. I too have been in desperate stakes when I had to have my beloved dog treated for a serious eye injury when another dog attacked her late at night when I was walking her (note, NOT tying her up outside!) I had to borrow the money from my neighbour even just to get the dog to the animal hospital in a taxi. Nothing would have prevented me from getting her help. When I had to have her put to sleep at age 13, I stayed with her, holding her head and speaking softly to her. What did those jackasses do? Walked off and left her to make that final trip with strangers. Sorry, butI am really angry and I can’t believe how all you do-gooder types are shedding tears of joy for that highly dubious couple.

• Oh please.

Let’s say that eye injury of yours were to cost $5,000, up front — no payments — before they’d treat, you are telling me you could raise that kind of money instantaneously? Most people I know couldn’t.

We don’t know if these people worked for minimum wage, or if at one point they had a higher paying job (thus could have afforded a Weim at that time) and had to take a lower paying one…the list is endless and they story didn’t go into that much detail.

Some of you really need to have a heart. What you want is one more homeless pet. What a great goal.

• but you don’t know they just “walked off”. As someone else has stated, not all vets allow you to be with them in those final moments.

6. The eye injury cost me £250 which I was billed for and paid the next day from my STUDENT LOAN. The emergency vet hospital in this city in the UK cares firstly for the animals. You don’t get the animal back though if you don’t pay, which is fair enough. I ate nothing for the next few weeks and before you suggest that I should not have had a dog if I could not afford it, she was a rescue dog that I had had since I was a kid at home with my parents, long before I went to university.

The Weim would not have been homeless for more than a day or two – you know that as well as I. If someone can just walk off and leave their dog to be put to sleep for an injury that was entirely fixable, then they don’t deserve to get the dog back, that’s all I am saying.

• I am so very happy that you were able to help your baby and that where you live has those types of services…and that you HAD a student loan to fall back on for this baby’s emergency. I am sorry if you had to cut back on your own needs to do this. But here in the U.S. it is VERY different, Many,Many vet practices will do NOTHING if your baby is in need no matter how urgent if you dont have either cash or good credit card in hand. SOME are willing to take a partial payment as long as you SIGN an agreement to pay the FULL balance with-in 2 weeks to 30 days, but even these are few and far between.and in case you don’t know the U.S. is having a MAJOR employment down turn and a large amount of people are doing the best they can to keep and or find new jobs after they have been laid off or had their company close down here. I am just saying don’t judge so harshly till you have walked in their shoes and know more about the circumstances or the full story.