Oogy: The Dog Only a Family Could Love

Heartwarming and redemptive, OOGY is the story of the people who were determined to rescue this dog against all odds, and of the family who took him home, named him “Oogy” (an affectionate derivative of ugly), and made him one of their own. Enjoy.

Life With Dogs post end paw print

Comments

1. We saw him on Oprah a few years ago. What a dog, what a family and what a story!

2. Judi McNea says on  August 24, 2010 at 3:02 pm

There is a life lesson in here for all of us !!!
    Bless you Oogy ♥

3. That story is a big smile maker!

4. Isobell Adams says on  August 24, 2010 at 3:26 pm

I have to buy this book, what an inspirational story x

5. I often wonder how some things can survive the worst of things and not only survive, but thrive, while others can’t ever get out of their own ways even with charmed lives.

And, the only answer I can come to is that it’s about Grace. The gift of Grace…it’s asked for and always answered. But, Oogy and some others certainly teach us the need to always ask for Grace. And be very grateful when the prayer is answered.

6. Oh wow….

BTW, my mom is all leaky now…

7. Oh my my my….God bless those wonderful people!!!
    I want to find them and give them all a hug,
    Madi and Mom

8. ctrunner says on  August 24, 2010 at 4:17 pm

God bless you! What a wonderful family – and a very inspirational dog :)

9. So glad the family took Oogy in and loved him the only way he deserves. God Bless.

10. Em & the Hounds says on  August 24, 2010 at 5:07 pm

What a wonderful story. I am sure that Oogy, like Stanley, has inspired others to go out and find, rescue and love their own Oogy. JOY for Oogy! HOPE for those still out there.

11. Where do you keep finding these tear jerkers?? They are so wonderful and what a lesson for all of us. So grateful they all found each other and they are having a happy ending. So many great dogs in such bad situations and it only takes one to find hope again.

12. I want to read that book!

13. I have a feeling that book will be gracing our bookshelf soon! I think there’s definitely a lot of lessons to be learned there! :)

14. We have been saving this story “forever” and keep forgetting to post about Oogie. It’s a terrific story and deserves publicity.

15. What a wonderful story!!

16. OMD. The Moms leaked all over from this story. It’s really a beautiful story and what great and very smart humans to see what a great dog Oogy is, even though he might not exactly be classically handsome.

lotsa licks, Lola

17. Rocky's Mom says on  August 24, 2010 at 10:55 pm

He should be called Beautiful…he is not Oogly <3
    Bless him and the family that took him in.

18. I think there are no Oogy dogs at all!
    No matter how they look. Everyone is amazing!
    Thanks for sharing the story!
    Kisses and hugs
    Lorenza

19. TFS – I’m afraid to watch as I’ll be a blubbering mess but can imagine and reading comments glad to hear he is so loved.

20. Greytjoy says on  August 25, 2010 at 11:16 am

Wonderful family and beautiful story. I still cant wrap my head around animal abuse. From the life/death of a Galgo in Spain to bait dogs in America or starving “art” in Honduras: what is wrong with humanity? how can people do these things to living, breathing, loving creatures?

21. William says on  August 25, 2010 at 11:24 am

after all that oogy has been through….he still had love in his heart. this is why I love dogs with every fiber of my being. blubbering mess here.thank you for sharing this wonderfull story.

22. This is a book I will definitely have to get. Oogy is a sign of encouragement and it is inspiring to see him and this family together!

23. Oh, what an amazing, heart-warming story – made me choke up watching it…

24. I can’t stop crying… I’ll be picking this book up.

25. such a moving story.. I can’t wait to pick up the book!

We just wish animal cruelty will stop!

26. Our mom WAS wearing mascara! What a heart-warming story!

Love ya lots
    Maggie and Mitch

27. Thugs Mom says on  September 16, 2010 at 3:22 pm

Just saw this link on my local humane society website. It made me cry and so thankful this family that gave Oogy a chance. I know their lives are blessed because of this wonderful dog!

28. animals are healers....!! ;) says on  October 21, 2010 at 4:17 pm

I LOVE IT….. You are wonderful!!!

29. I hadn’t heard anything about this book, but spotted it at a bookstore when I was mourning the loss of my own “fixer-upper” rescue, Michelin Man. What a wonderful story. Larry Levin has such a great bond with this dog, gently explaining to him that he’ll never be a show dog. The book was very comforting to me. I feel a kindred spirit.

30. How could anyone intentionally hurt an animal? So glad that Oogie has a loving home and it’s a miracle that he can still trust and love human beings after what he went through before this family rescued him.

31. mike b says on  January 12, 2011 at 8:34 pm

I read the book about Oogy and fell in love with him. Somebody please give that beautiful dog a hug for me.