Arnold and Dearheart: Bonded Chihuahua and Pitbull Seek Adoptive Home

They lost their home, and simply left him behind. When the moving trucks drove away, there Arnold was. For almost a month he wandered his neighborhood streets and deserted home looking for them while slowly starving. He was finally brought to Bill Foundation by a concerned neighbor, but was already severely traumatized and sad.

He did not know how to ride in a car or use stairs. He was afraid of everything except kind people. He trembled with fear all the time. He did not seek affection or know how to enjoy it. Although terribly skinny, he was too frightened to eat without great coaxing. He did not know how to be in a house, or how to relax and feel safe. He didn’t know when he was going to be left alone again and that terrified him. The first time his foster mom left him alone he went into a state of panic and terror and tore the drywall off the hallway.

He was so frightened by his experience that being left anywhere has become too scary for him and he began actually hurting himself in an effort to escape crates and kennels. He seemed determined to escape to get back to his family. For days on end he paced and looked out windows, as if he had lost them and they might actually be worried and searching for him.

Bill Foundation tried everything to make Arnold feel brave and safe. He received much-needed love from volunteers and his foster mom, including help from experts. But Arnold stayed scared and anxious – a gentle boy, but one who wanted to escape, one who always shook with fear and looked so dejected.

Then along came Dearheart…4lbs of fabulous. Frightened and uncertain, the diminutive canine was saved from death row by Bill Foundation. He was brought into a foster home to help with socialization and confidence building. It just so happened that this foster home was also Arnold’s, and when the two met, they became fast friends.

In very short time, it became apparent that this was a rescue that was meant to play out exactly as it did. Apart, they are two wonderfully sweet dogs that are a little bit shy and scared by the rough knocks the world has delivered them. But together, Arnold and Dearheart are transformed.

Previously, if Arnold was in a crate at adoption events he would shiver, whimper and cry. Now Arnold and Dearheart share a crate and a life together, leaning on each other for support, and snuggling in peaceful bliss. Arnold clearly feels safer in the presence of his new pal, and their caretakers say both dogs have been changed forever by their partnership.

If you want to take Arnold for a walk, they say all you have to do is pick up Dearheart and start moving. Arnold will follow closely, hopping on his hind legs to keep an eye on his buddy as he is carried. When Arnold rolls over in his sleep, Dearheart picks himself up and daintily maneuvers around Arnold’s paws, so he can adjust and nuzzle up to the velvety soft nose of his big BFF. Day in and day out, the two while away their time together as they wait for a forever home.

That’s where you come in. Even if you cannot provide the right home for this inseparable pair, you may know someone who can. And Bill Foundation has made it abundantly clear that they will not be separated under any circumstances, saying “It’s our duty to keep these two special boys where they belong – side by side, just as destiny has decided.”

A message from Bill Foundation.

Thanks to everyone (especially the fabulous gang at Life With Dogs) for posting your amazing support and sharing the story of Arnold and Dearheart. All of us Bill Foundation have been touched and encouraged in our work to see the tender bond developing between these two formerly bereft creatures. It brings such meaning to our mission in turning every dog we rescue from Abandoned to ADORED. To learn more about Arnold & Dearheart, please click on this link to their adoption bios on Petfinder. http://tinyurl.com/BFPetfinder

We are concentrating on Los Angeles applications because we do insist on an application and a home check for all of our adoption placements, but if you would like to help us, there are ways you can help. We are a small rescue group and rely 100% on donations and fundraising to manage our rescue missions and to support our dogs until they are adopted, including Arnold and Dearheart. Every cent you contribute goes directly to the dogs’ needs and is fully tax deductible. We are currently feeding and housing nearly 50 dogs in need of adoption so every dollar counts. http://tinyurl.com/BFdonation

Related posts

January 3, 2012 9:28 amPosted 2 years ago
    Tracey

If I knew of that right person I would send them your way. In the meantime I hope that somone is reading this and that they will be able to take you two in. Good luck and I will keep my fingers crossed for you two. Both of you of have such cute faces. I am sure that someone will come along and it will love at first sight.

January 3, 2012 10:09 amPosted 2 years ago
    lisa robb

i would like to know more about this pair? are they still available? u can contact me by phone, 1-417 – 708-9605 or facebook , lisa robb, willow springs, mo, :)

January 4, 2012 11:51 amPosted 2 years ago
      Lou

Please let us know if you were able to get these two precious Angels, I so want to know if they are in a special home, with a special person, like yourself wanting to give them that home. Bless you and hope you have them! PLEASE let us know!

January 3, 2012 1:14 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Susan Hare

I’m so in tears right now. What a beautiful story. I hope these guys find a deserving home.

January 3, 2012 1:32 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Paula

I hope and pray that these two beautiful boys find a good, loving home.

• January 3, 2012 1:43 pmPosted 2 years ago
    melf

This post impacted me greatly. My dog Daisy has the same type of bond with my dog Jasper. Both were fosters in my home at one time, but both were just too special to give up. Jasper came after Daisy was already a permanent fixture in my home, but they have bonded and both find comfort in each other when they are afraid. They seek each other out, check on one another and support one another. I cannot imagine separating them – ever.

I sure hope that Arnold and Dearheart find the right home that can love both of them and provide them the love and support they need. What a touching story.

January 3, 2012 1:58 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Rosemary

The other day, when w were taking Radar, our 5 year old male Westie to the vet for his allergies and allergy shot, we left our little female Westie, Carrie, (who had been abandoned at Petsmart) alone, but didn’t get far because of her howling, screaming and crying. We had to go back after 3 steps out the door and bring her with us.

January 3, 2012 7:49 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Gaynor Henry

There is a valuable lesson to be learned from these two but most people are too blind to realize it. Kudos to teh Bill Foundation for keeping them together.

• January 4, 2012 4:20 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Leslie

I posted a message on our company FB page about this very thing, if your neighbors have moved/been foreclosed on… and you know they have a dog, take a look make sure the dog isn’t in the house or apartment or I guess I should have said walking around the neighborhood, and it took the neighbors a month? That’s a shame but good for them they finally did something for the poor guy. I’m torn with the sweetness of these two and wanting to strangle the owners, he’s a beautiful dog.

January 4, 2012 7:24 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Gary

About 3yrs ago my neighbor down the street moved and could not take their dog with them.A little one and a half year old female Pompoo named Coco,my wife said we would take her and give her a good home. Well she adopted us right away,about a year and a half ago my wife of 25yrs passed away,since then she sleeps with me every night.I also have a cat and they get along great,they love to play tag all through the house.He sleeps with us every night too,I could never ever leave them or give them away, I need them as much as they need me!I don’t know how anyone could desert a friend like that!!!!

January 5, 2012 10:28 amPosted 2 years ago
    Anonymous

Sometimes, I see posts or articles like this and think I know someone that might be interested. Please include the city and state in these articles.

January 5, 2012 12:18 pmPosted 2 years ago
      Anonymous

@ Anonymous There is a link at the bottom of the pic that will take you to the info you are asking for :0)

January 6, 2012 4:22 amPosted 2 years ago
      Anonymous

I agree ~ How can we network these two sweet lovebugs if we don’t know where they’re at?

Where are these dogs? Please provide the city and state they’re located in

January 12, 2012 5:23 pmPosted 2 years ago
      Cee

for those wanting more information, it helps to read the whole article.

There is a link to the petfinder bio (for adopting) these pups in the article.

• January 5, 2012 1:08 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Kari

sounds like my family :)

Stop on by for a visit
    Kari

January 6, 2012 5:30 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Bonnie

The Bill Foundation is an amazing organization–grass roots, located in Los Angeles, all volunteer and working within the LA area to rescue and place dogs.

January 8, 2012 10:32 amPosted 2 years ago
    Pamela

I live in Mississippii or I would jump at the chance to take these two sweet dogs. Of course, you have to keep them together. I pray you find the perfect home for these special dog soon! Just adorable! Keep me posted if you can, via e-mail. Kindest Regards, Pam

January 14, 2012 11:43 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Jamie

This is one of the best stories I have read. I have a older male chihuahua and I recently rescued a female staffy pup, and they love to be around each other as well. It goes to show that no matter the sizes or breeds, dogs can see beyond that and bond. I really hope they find the perfect home, with two little boys under 5 and two furbabies my house is full so I don’t think the hubby would let me adopt :)

January 14, 2012 11:44 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Jamie

Also I wanted to add, it goes to show that those ignorant people who say that all pitbulls are vicious are just that, ignorant. Here is proof!

October 13, 2013 4:42 pmPosted 1 year ago
    Anonymous

This story is very heart warming because I have a Pitbull and chihwawa I hope they get a loving home they deserve it <3