April is National Greyhound Adoption Month

What better month than National Adopt-a-Greyhound month to welcome a beautiful, graceful, and gentle companion into your home? A total of 10 Greyhound racing tracks have closed across the country since the end of 2008, and 25 have closed since 2000. An estimated 500 to 1,000 greyhounds have been displaced as a result of each closing. Add greyhounds that have been retired from still-existing tracks across the country and you have thousands of these vibrant dogs being cared for by adoption groups as they wait to be adopted into permanent homes.

Our adopted racer, Nigel.

Two tracks recently closed in Massachusetts as a result of state legislation banning racing, and the sluggish economy contributed to other closings across the country. April is National Greyhound Adoption Month, and The Greyhound Project is spreading their message of greyhound adoption awareness to ensure that 100 percent of the greyhounds waiting at adoption groups find caring homes.

“Greyhounds are graceful, gentle pets and companions,” said President of The Greyhound Project Michael McCann. “The state of the economy has resulted in fewer adoptions and more surrenders. This factor, along with the track closings, really underscores the importance of finding permanent homes for these wonderful dogs.”

Wonderful is just scratching the surface. We’ve shared our home with a retired racer for many years, and if you’ve not had the good fortune of spending time in the company of Greyhounds, you owe it to yourself to do so. They are a breed apart – ask anyone who admires them and you’re in for an earful. And don’t let the myths fool you: these dogs do not need to run all day. They are supremely lazy, and sleep more than any breed we have known. They also make great apartment dwellers – a bonus for renters. Sold yet? If not, meet one; you’ll be hooked.

Founded in 1992, The Greyhound Project is a volunteer, non-profit organization that knows how special these dogs are, and has made it their mission to promote the welfare and adoption of greyhounds by providing support and information to adoption organizations, adopters, and the public. Please visit www.adopt-a-greyhound.org for more information.

Related posts

April 18, 2012 8:49 amPosted 2 years ago
    Tracey

I hope that they all get good homes. They seem very gentle. Good luck to them all.

April 18, 2012 11:52 amPosted 2 years ago
    GreyhoundMom

Greyhounds RULE!! Hvae three myself, and couldn’t imagine what my life would be like withouth them.

Thumb up 1 Thumb down 0

April 18, 2012 1:21 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Carol

They are the most loving and gentle dog…I should know…I have had 6…there are now 4 carpeting my floor! And please…don’t ever over-look the seniors…they are just greyt!!!!

Thumb up 1 Thumb down 0

April 18, 2012 1:26 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Ruth

You’ll never find a better friend or companion than a greyhound. I have 4 and have fostered many. They are the best breed to own or to be owned by. The love they give you is amazing. So sweet and gentle. Perfect family pets. Adopt a greyhound or two. You’ll never be sorry.

Thumb up 1 Thumb down 0

April 18, 2012 2:07 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Lisa

or two :)

April 18, 2012 2:07 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Lisa

or 3 or 4 :)

April 18, 2012 2:08 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Amanda

I didn’t know much about greyhounds until I adopted a mix almost 2 years ago. They are silly and lovable babies!!!!!

April 18, 2012 2:08 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Renee

Lisa, just get all of them…it might be a maze to walk through the house as they laze about, but you’ll never run out of love XD

Thumb up 1 Thumb down 0

April 18, 2012 2:08 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Dee

I was adopted by two beautiful greys. They both have crossed the Rainbow Bridge. RIP Timmy & Preston Love mom

April 18, 2012 2:09 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Lisa

I already have 4 – only one grey right now but I will NEVER have a house without a grey! They are my <3!

Thumb up 1 Thumb down 0

April 18, 2012 2:12 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Anonymous

Adopting a greyhound (senior!) was the best decision I’ve ever made! She was 7 when I found her, and is now 11. She’s ever so loyal and loving to her family and to everyone she meets. She’s a great therapy dog and visits nursing homes often!

Thumb up 1 Thumb down 0

April 18, 2012 2:14 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Henna

I have one beautifull whippet :)

• April 18, 2012 2:15 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Janet

Team Greyhound will be promoting greyhound adoption at the MAF Canine Cancer Walk on April 29 in Elk Grove Ca.

• April 18, 2012 2:18 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Brenda

WOOF!

April 18, 2012 2:20 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Chloe

I amnot a dog woman, but the plight and sight of a greyhound touches my heart in ways I cannot explain.

April 18, 2012 2:21 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Marcie

I had and raised many dogs/puppies, but by far the greyhound I adopted as a senior is hands down the best dog I’ve ever owned! I love her to bits!

Thumb up 1 Thumb down 0

• April 18, 2012 2:22 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Connie

I’ve had two rescued greyhounds and sweeter dogs do not exist. I currently have a whippet. I can’t recommend these dogs highly enough.

• April 18, 2012 2:23 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Maresa

I have owned 2 hounds (RIP) and they are WONDERFUL dogs. I now foster and hopefully getting another foster on Saturday. If anyone is in the Gettysburg PA area the 27-29, they are having Greyhounds in Gettysburg. It’s SOOO much fun and LOVE seeing all those hounds.

• April 18, 2012 2:30 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Jessica

It’s true…greyhounds are the gentlest souls you will ever meet. My husband and I have had 2 hounds adopt us and we have been very blessed, though we only got 4 years with our first boy. There is no shortness of love in a greyhounds heart. They aim to please like no other breed I’ve ever known.

Thumb up 1 Thumb down 0

April 18, 2012 2:35 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Kirsten

I had a greyhound/lab mix for 6 wonderful years…the smartest, sweetest girl you ever met. Lost her to a drunk driver “taking a shortcut” across my yard. I now have 3 rescued mutts whom I adore, but none will ever touch my heart the way my Timbre did. Grey’s are sensitive…they need lots of TLC and careful, gentle discipline, but they are SO worth it!

• April 18, 2012 2:36 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Cindy

sweetest dogs ever! i miss my oliver.

April 18, 2012 2:38 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Sandy

I had two rescue ghounds for over 9 years. They both made it to just a month shy of 15 years old, but died 3 years apart. They rescued me, they are my soulmates! One was 6 when I got her, he was 4. I would have one now if my little rescue Basengi would allow it!

April 18, 2012 2:41 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Lisa

I’ve been rescued by a Greyhound too. Love my retired racer, Zappa. They are such gentle, patient, sweet, tolerant, loving, beautiful dogs!

Thumb up 1 Thumb down 0

April 18, 2012 2:43 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Lisa
  • April 18, 2012 2:44 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Krista

Took you long enough to mention LWD ;-)

• April 18, 2012 2:50 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Diana

Getting our first on Sunday—excited doesn’t even describe how we feel!

April 18, 2012 4:49 pmPosted 2 years ago
      Anne

Diana, that’s fabulous…your lives will be changed forever more…in a greyt way! If you haven’t already, think about picking up a copy of Retired Racing Greyhounds for Dummies…super-helpful, all sorts of good information.

And get a martingale collar :)

April 18, 2012 3:01 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Angela

I have rescued 2 as well, both lived to be in the teens and they were the 2 sweetest dogs ever! One was graceful and elegant, the other the biggest goofball in the world, just loved to play! I miss them so!

April 18, 2012 3:05 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Cat

No other dog like a greyhound….

April 18, 2012 3:12 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Sandra

I have had retired greyhounds as part of my family for over twenty years, I can’t tell you how awesome they are! I also foster and have had anywhere from 2 to 5 in my home at once. I miss dearly the six that have gone to Rainbow Bridge, and adore the two that fill my home with joy now <3

April 18, 2012 3:45 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Cathy

I just lost one of my babies a pit mix last month. Still have one however I have always wanted to adopt/save a greyhound. I am in south florida and don’t know of any agencies down here that rescues them. If anyone out there knows of a place near Palm Beach County please please let me know!! My email is [email protected]. Thanx!!!

April 18, 2012 4:43 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Odette

I have 4 of these wonderful creatures in my living room at the moment. They are eating their dinner. All 4 of them have very unique personalities and make such great companions. Only 2 of those are actually mine, the other 2 are visiting while their human Mommy was having a baby. If you are looking for a companion, please consider adopting one of these retired racers, they will love you unconditionally and appreciate every moment they share with you.

April 18, 2012 7:38 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Theresa

I will never have a home without at least two greyhounds in it! They are the most lovable, goofy, silly, lazy, funny, adoring (need I go on???) creatures ever to grace this earth. My life is not complete without them!