Pit Bull Pulls Unconscious Owner From Path Of Oncoming Train

An eight year old pit bull is recovering in a Massachusetts animal hospital after conducting a remarkable rescue mission. According to witnesses, the heroic dog saved the life of her owner just before she was hit by an oncoming freight train.

The Massachusetts SPCA said Christine Spain of Shirley was walking home with her dog Lilly when she collapsed on the tracks. Spain’s son, Boston Police Officer David Lanteigne, says a train’s engineer watched in amazement as the dog moved her owner out of harm’s way. Traveling at a high rate of speed, the train was unable to come to a stop, and Lilly was hit seconds after saving Spain.

“The engineer said as he was coming up, he saw the dog pulling her off the tracks. But there wasn’t enough time,” Lanteigne said. “He then saw the dog come around between the train and my mom and take the hit of the train.”

That heroic deed came at substantial cost: veterinarians were forced to amputate a badly mangled leg that was beyond repair. Lilly also suffered a broken pelvis, but remarkably, she is expected to make a full recovery. While receiving treatment for her injuries, the brave dog has been showered with letters of appreciation as news of her story spreads.

For a breed often maligned in media reports this, say pit bull advocates, is just another example of what they are really made of. They say Lilly is a true hero, a sentiment echoed by David Lanteigne.

“Lilly stepped up to the plate – true to form, true to character…and she saved my mom’s life.”

1. Katelyn says on  05/08/2012 at 7:39 pm

2. i love pits!!

3. It’s really nice to see pitbulls get positive coverage.

4. Cristián says on  05/08/2012 at 7:41 pm

perro bebé!!!

5. Anonymous says on  05/08/2012 at 7:42 pm

Now your mom needs to step up and get help for her alcoholism.

• Anonymous says on  05/08/2012 at 7:51 pm

I agree one hundred percent, this wouldn’t have happened if she hadn’t been drinking. Poor baby lost her leg… :(

• Anonymous says on  05/08/2012 at 7:57 pm

Isnt that the saddest part…dog had to get hurt cause human couldnt control herself …what is wrong with people? :/

• Anonymous says on  05/09/2012 at 6:34 am

yer focus on the bad in this story don’t take the utter joy out of how loyal and loving animals are compared to humans

• Mary says on  05/09/2012 at 1:22 pm

Dog would not have had to do that if not for the fact she was a drunk. She should feel like crap for being such a terrible human being

• Anonymous says on  05/09/2012 at 5:09 pm

We are ALL “terrible human beings”. We are all imperfect and accidents happen. There is no reason to bash Shirley. The correct response is, “Way to go Lilly!” And let’s pray for Shirley’s internal battle.

• nova7128 says on  05/11/2012 at 12:20 am

6. my pit has saved my life twice, there such a dangerous animal NOT……………..

7. I hope he makes it,he soooo deserves it…God Bless him!!

8. Bertha says on  05/08/2012 at 7:43 pm

They are very loyal friends-I love the breed

9. Laura says on  05/08/2012 at 7:45 pm

WEll, we know this wasn’t in Maryland if it’s a pit.

10. Sara says on  05/08/2012 at 7:45 pm

Amazing! this is exactly why i hate when they label dog breeds as dangerous! this PITBULL is a HERO!! As so many of them are! I’m so glad she’s going to be ok :):):)

11. Ami says on  05/08/2012 at 7:46 pm

Love Button So needed…Many well wishes to the entire family along with a speedy recovery :-)

12. I just love my pit! Shes the best friend to my special needs child and outlawed in my small town in Ks. Thanks to our local vet we still have our Lucy!

13. she was amazing its the owner not the breed

14. Tanikka says on  05/08/2012 at 7:48 pm

Awww. I wish the media would highlight more stories like this so people could see how amazing pit bulls really are. <3

15. Patrick says on  05/08/2012 at 7:49 pm

love the breed n the deed!! does he need a home??

16. Good dog!

17. Emily says on  05/08/2012 at 7:49 pm

what a great dog I’m glad she’s going to be OK.

18. What a wonderful story to see in the news, Liliy is a hero, but hero status is not why she did what she did. We all know why she did it and that is what makes her so special, wishing Liliy a speedy recovery from Atlanta Ga

19. they are Great Dogs !,, no doubt about it !

20. Chris says on  05/08/2012 at 7:51 pm

so do i had a pit bull and gave him to my dad after my mom passed away he has been very loyal to my dad and woundnt hurt a soul …god bless you bronko.but dont try to get into my dads house!!!with out u being invited by my dad.

21. Linda says on  05/08/2012 at 7:52 pm

God love her…

22. Tattoochick says on  05/08/2012 at 7:52 pm

Yea!!!!! Finally a good story about pits!!!

23. That is a great story.

24. The shelter I work at had a “vicious” Pit come in with her baby. She was so “vicious” that she nursed 5 abandoned pups that came in a couple hours after she did. She nursed every single one of them as tho they were her own. She’s very special and I <3 her to pieces.

25. Amazing!!!!!!

26. pupppieeeeeeeeeeeeesssssssssssssssss babiessssssssssss

27. Jolie says on  05/08/2012 at 7:54 pm

Amazing story about an AMAZING dog…. Get well soon Lily <3

28. I hope Lilly’s mom uses this to realize she needs to get help for her problem. Thank goodness Lilly was there or she wouldn’t be here today. I hope Lilly recovers quickly! <3

29. Sheila says on  05/08/2012 at 7:54 pm

Oh that poor baby ~ What a wonderful dog she is way to go Lily ~ Good Girl <3 <3 <3 Feel better soon sweetie

30. David says on  05/08/2012 at 7:56 pm

What a b eautiful story, love it. Wishing her a speedy and complete recovery and back to her family soon.

31. How deeply inspiring. Lilly is an incredibly amazing dog.

32. Sumi says on  05/08/2012 at 7:58 pm

Noble dog. How many people would risk their lives to do what Lilly did?

33. What a sweet baby!! Prayers for a speedy recovery!

34. This is one example that pit bulls are not vicious dogs just the people that own them. This dog did very good and deserves the biggest bone in the world

35. This should be required reading for all who ‘blame the breed’. Lilly, get better soon, you have sent a valuable message. Hugs for you!

36. NiK says on  05/08/2012 at 7:59 pm

this story brought tears to my eyes… such an amazing creature. truly an angel.

37. Stephanie says on  05/08/2012 at 7:59 pm

Give Lilly an award! And treats! God bless her <3

38. Chantelle says on  05/08/2012 at 8:00 pm

What a good dog. Now we dont see this in the news do we?

39. God Bless u lily,Your my hero!! I hope u make it through this ordeal..I hope yr owner learns from her mistake…She got a second chance at life,I love u Lily!! KISSES AND HUGS YR WAY!!

40. Sherry says on  05/08/2012 at 8:02 pm

Thank you Lilly – your Mum needs you home with her – Thank you♥

41. Pamela says on  05/08/2012 at 8:03 pm

God bless you precious Lilly! You are a truly awesome lady!

42. This exemplifies the character of an American Pitbull Terrier and why it was considered the mascot of the U.S. during WWI and WWII. I love this breed above all others. Great dogs!

43. Patricia says on  05/08/2012 at 8:06 pm

44. Natasha says on  05/08/2012 at 8:07 pm

Nice to see some good news about poor Pit Bulls for once!

45. Ann says on  05/08/2012 at 8:08 pm

Oh Bless her!

46. Ruth says on  05/08/2012 at 8:08 pm

Wow, what an amazing story — brings tears to my eyes. I hope Lilly has a speedy recovery!

47. Oh yeah, let’s ban the breed. I’d like to see a maltese do that. WTG Lilly, you little champ.

48. Wow amazing xx

49. Way to go Lily!! But what were the “witnesses” just standing around for???

50. Taryn says on  05/08/2012 at 8:15 pm

What a dear little girl. I feel so bad for her losing her leg, but what a wonderful thing she did. I hope her owner gets some help for her alcoholism too.

51. Keep the positive pit bull stories coming! Yesterday 2 small children were viciously attacked by pit bulls in the Bay Area of California; although these stories are tragic and heartbreaking, we wish that pit bulls also got shown on the news about stories like this one!

52. Shes amazing xx

53. <3

54. Lara says on  05/08/2012 at 8:23 pm

Good human in a good dog and this is the truth of the life of a pit bull. Bad human in a GOOD dog can have awful results.

55. A true hero.

56. Such a tragic story….and such a beautiful hero!!

57. thats awesome!!

58. They are good dog’s it the people that rise them right. This is such a great story. Rock on pit bulk terriers.

59. Just goes to show it’s nurture not nature! Dogs are amazing animals.

60. Lauren says on  05/08/2012 at 8:47 pm

My dad has a pitt bull and he’s such a great dog!

61. Rebecca says on  05/08/2012 at 8:48 pm

I am trying to help an abandoned one!!

62. Hero Lily, get well soon!

63. Connie says on  05/08/2012 at 8:49 pm

Prays go out to Lilly, Maybe the stupid Mom should stop her drinking now seeing she cant handle it!! Get well soon Lilly …Huggies…

64. Brian says on  05/08/2012 at 8:50 pm

Same day: two separate incidents of pits mauling toddlers in CA.

• Erika says on  05/08/2012 at 9:39 pm

It simply shows that things are NEVER black and white, never cut and dry.
      There is bad, but there is also good. Lilly’s courage and self-sacrifice should not be diminished or ignored.

• SSB Pack says on  05/09/2012 at 11:25 am

and your point is?

65. What an angel!!! Bless. I pray she has a eedy recovery.

66. What an amazing girl !

67. Jenny says on  05/08/2012 at 8:55 pm

Unconditional love. Plain and simple.

68. Liliana says on  05/08/2012 at 8:55 pm

Amazing. As mart as labs are, many do not do this type of ‘thng.’

69. Liliana says on  05/08/2012 at 8:56 pm

She will do fine on 3-legs. XOXO for Lily!

70. and people think pit bulls are aggressive and are dog fighting dogs. we do not like to be judged when are we going to stop judging animals?

71. What a truly wonderful dog!

72. Cheyla says on  05/08/2012 at 9:26 pm

Hopefully owner will get sober now that she has cost this brave shero Lilly her front leg and broken pelvis – probably painful arthritis for life. If she’s not sober after this, then Lilly should be placed in better home because she’s not got that many legs left!!

73. U truly are an angel Lily. We 2 will pray for your recovery. U r remarkable girl!!!!

74. Jessica says on  05/08/2012 at 9:33 pm

Get well soon Lily! Pit Bulls rock!!

75. Pit bulls are just the same as any dog raised properly they are amazing and devoted companions to all….they just always get a bad rap… poor pups <3

76. These are the most faithful & loving animals. Dogs behave how they’re treated. If raised with love, they’ll stand by you til their death & show only love & faithfulness towards their owner. They’re only mean if treated that way & raised to fight. This dog loved her owner & therefore saved her life. I hope my dog (mastif) would do the same for me. I know he would my daughter.

77. Sh says on  05/08/2012 at 9:38 pm

Way to go girl!

78. What a great dog.!

79. Lake says on  05/08/2012 at 9:58 pm

Good to see a kudos for the pit bull for a change.

80. Nice to hear these GOOD reports about pits.

81. Laura says on  05/08/2012 at 10:14 pm

I shared that one so people can see something positive about Pit Bulls in the news. Lilly is a hero!!!

82. the person she saved was intoxicated?! =.=

83. and then eats him

84. Poor, sweet Lily. Angel and hero – you gave so much. Bless your heart Lily – I hope it’s your turn to have peace, love and devotion – you more than earned it.

85. Brenda says on  05/08/2012 at 10:42 pm

God sends angels when we need them most! It makes me so sad that another baby has to be effected by this damn disease. I sinserely hope and pray for recovery for both Lilly and her owner. I hope her owner has hit bottom and gets the help she needs. Let this tragic event turn into a miracle. My pit saved my husbands life in a different way a long time ago. He chose to live and he is still sober today! I know you both have a difficult journey but one so worth it. We almost lost our baby last year and I would do anything for him. I will say a prayer for both of you. I’m not judging you it always takes whatever it takes to get us there. I am in recovery too. Just don’t allow this disease to take anymore! Get some help please Lilly loves and needs you.

86. Awesome pup!!!

87. Kim says on  05/08/2012 at 10:56 pm

So Glad to hear she survivied this tragedy and became a hero for her Human Mom…..

88. Kim says on  05/08/2012 at 10:56 pm

shared :)

89. Gus says on  05/08/2012 at 10:57 pm

Let’s see your stinking little yippie dust mop dog do that.

90. Sharon says on  05/08/2012 at 10:58 pm

They’ll the ones that gets the bad rap all the time. I still say owners make them mean you can make any dog mean. Love the story.

91. Nancy says on  05/08/2012 at 11:20 pm

There are no bad dogs. Just bad “owners.”

92. Heart.

93. Wow, wow, wow …. arent dogs just amazing

94. and they say pit bulls are mean vicious dogs!!!

95. Pit Bulls are not bad dogs only some ohners that treat them bad

96. Theresia says on  05/09/2012 at 12:45 am

Loyal dog !!! see people Pit Bulls ARE WONDERFUL DOGS !!! its the owners !!!

97. Wi Shin Uwell says on  05/09/2012 at 1:02 am

Smart dog loses leg due to stupid owner, get well soon lily. Don’t let this lesson go by blind, here is your chance to deal with your disease, you owe it to yourself and to lily, her lost leg was her sacrifice for you, what will you sacrifice for her.

• Anonymous says on  05/10/2012 at 8:46 am

And now some pet food company is giving her a years worth of free dog food, and some people want to help pay for the vet bill. She needs to pay every penny of that vet bill, because I am sure that is the only punishment she is going to get. And as far as the free food goes, yes Lilly deserves the free food in a new forever home. Please do not give Lilly back to her so called “owner”

98. Who thinks this stuff up?

99. Chellie W says on  05/09/2012 at 1:07 am

On this mornings news..Pit bulls owner had a epeleptic fit,a man ran too help him when the mans pit bull went to full blown attack..The 80 year old man now in a cask said I only wanted too help his owner..Its a shame for both dog and helper..the helper dose not understand the dog,and the dog did’nt understand the good natured gesture..And now the dog has to be put down.. :((

100. Rick says on  05/09/2012 at 1:08 am

Dogs Rule… Its about time someone said something really good about these poppers.