Rescued Pit Bull Rescues Owner

A New Jersey man hiking in a state park said he was was alarmed to see a pit bull running down a sand path dragging her leash behind her. Bayville resident Frank Dellarosa encountered the dog Friday while walking near a cranberry bog in Double Trouble State Park.

Dellarosa managed to catch up with the one-year-old pit bull mix, and assuming she was lost, picked her up and started to walk back towards the park’s office, intending to turn her in.

But “Lilly” was restless, and had other plans. When Dellarosa paused to to put her down and she began frantically pulling him down the path, back towards the direction they had come from. Surprised by her determination, Dellarosa decided to follow her. In a matter of minutes the cause for her consternation was apparent: Lilly led him straight to her owner, who was laying unconscious, about 150 yards from where Dellarosa first saw the dog.

Dona Timoney, 51, of Beachwood, had suffered an undetermined “medical event” while walking Lilly, Detective Sgt. James J. Smith said. “She was unconscious, but breathing,” he said.

Timoney is being treated at St. Barnabas Medical Center in Livingston. Detective Smith said her condition had not been disclosed.

Lilly is staying with Timoney’s daughter, who said Timoney had previously rescued the dog from a “drug house” in North Carolina. Apparently Lilly never forgot that act of kindness, and when given the opportunity to return the favor, came to the rescue of the woman who had rescued her.

Detective Will Cullen responded to the scene, and said Lilly and her owner obviously shared a special relationship. “The back of her car was filled with treats and bones,” Cullen said. “She’s obviously an avid animal lover.”

Comments

1. I love news where pit bulls are shining like they are for real !

2. Never discount the importance of loving an animal.

3. Karen says on  06/03/2012 at 6:51 pm

thats the kind of stories we like to hear!!!!!!! hurray for the pittie!!!!we love you pitties!!!!!

4. I am so happy someone did something to help this dog!

5. Tatz says on  06/03/2012 at 6:52 pm

hope the owner pulls through, I love bull terriers (all of them no preference)

6. Julie says on  06/03/2012 at 6:53 pm

WOW!!!!!!!

7. Elizabeth says on  06/03/2012 at 6:53 pm

aawwww she was lucky!!

8. Just goes to show you that there are always two sides to ever story.

9. Amy says on  06/03/2012 at 6:57 pm

If people knew the truth about pit bulls every home would have one;). Most are great dogs that don’t get enough positive press!

10. Praying for the owner to get well for she can be with Lilly again and give her plenty of treats for her rescue of her mom.

11. Sadly Jon, it’s not a breed trait as people think. It’s a bred trait. Only mean dog is a dog trained (or treated) to be so.

12. Randie J says on  06/03/2012 at 6:58 pm

Awesome story–too bad THIS doesn’t make headlines…..only the alleged maulings get the media’s best efforts :(

13. Pit Bull Power

14. Amy says on  06/03/2012 at 6:59 pm

Educate yourself Jon. My pit would never touch anyone in a harmful manner.

15. Lucyn says on  06/03/2012 at 7:02 pm

Great story!

16. wag wag wag wag… my buddies rawk!… wag wag wag wag wag wag wag wag

17. I feel sorry for ignorant people like Jon. He will never know the love and loyalty that a pit bull can give. I have worked in the animal care field for 16 years, and I own 2 of them. They are the best dogs, and I will argue with anyone who says otherwise. The people who neglect, torture, and train them to do bad things are the real monsters. Other breeds of dogs bite and attack people. Most reported “pit bull” attacks aren’t even really pit bulls at all, but mixed breed dogs that are labeled as pits to create a sensational story. Educate yourself, please.

• Jackie says on  06/05/2012 at 11:37 am

I wrote on here just a while ago, its not the dogs that are bad its the BAD OWNERS. In the early l960 in the UK I was involved with German Shepherd Dogs, being notorious for biting people, mostly were not pure German Shepherd Dogs. Many people take on a dog and have no idea of what the breed is about. So nice to hear a good story put for the Pit Bull.

18. Diana says on  06/03/2012 at 7:07 pm

Somebody needs to send this story to that Maryland judge who recently opined that all “pit bulls are inherently dangerous animals.”

19. Jennifer says on  06/03/2012 at 7:07 pm

Darn it!! It wont let me share!!!!! Grrrr

20. Jennifer says on  06/03/2012 at 7:10 pm

Whoop!! Bad service at work! Walked outside and was able to share! Great story

21. I am thankful Lilly happened upon a person who didn’t think “Killer dog” at the sight of a Pit and stopped to help her. Especially glad that Lilly didn’t run into a policeman. Both she and her owner might have died.

22. Jennifer says on  06/03/2012 at 7:13 pm

Oh well i tried but when i clicked on the link i share it said “something went wrong”

23. So glad to hear another great story about the wonderful breed of put bulls!!

24. Kendra says on  06/03/2012 at 7:15 pm

this can’t be true, pits are mean…that’s what most people think anyways! i love hearing great news about pits like this! they get such a bad rep and don’t deserve it…yeah, some are mean but that’s because they were taught to be mean! there are so many that are so loving! the little lap dogs can be just as mean, but since they’re small people say it’s cute…loved this story because the pit saved her owner, but sad it happened to her owner. i pray she has a great recovery and can reunite with her loving lilly!

25. Betty says on  06/03/2012 at 7:29 pm

great story yeah for the pits in the world they r good dogs

26. I love Pit Bulls – they’ve been given a bad name which they don’t deserve yet, everyone thinks of them as mean and killers – they are sweet and gentle like any other dog!

27. I love these dogs they are loyal an the ones I have meet have been taught to be good an listen to the owner an I hate that these dogs are always the bad ones they are what u make them go Lily u should get a reward for your saving your master love these dogs

28. Great story but i wouldnt expect anything less from these loyal loving dogs, my pitbull is a joy to own x

29. Love! And of my four rescues, my pit rescue would follow me to the moon and back and save me from anything! She is amazing! And some day….I want four just like her!

30. Becky says on  06/03/2012 at 7:54 pm

See, our babies love us too <3

31. Mary says on  06/03/2012 at 7:54 pm

I wish we could somehow give the whole breed a different name from “Pit Bull”….The name carries with it such baggage….Years ago, it was Dobermans…then Rotweillers…and even German Shepherds had been discriminated against….These poor animals were taught to fear and hate….it is a learned behavior…bless this sweet dog who saved her new owner! <3

32. Heather says on  06/03/2012 at 7:56 pm

It’s amazing what dogs do for their people!

33. This is the same breed that governments want to ban. Better to ban lousy owners.

34. Leslie says on  06/03/2012 at 8:01 pm

Another pittie angel named Lilly!

35. Michele says on  06/03/2012 at 8:02 pm

Love, love, love stories like this!!!

36. Great story…owners make pit bulls what they are…it’s not in their genes…

37. Nag says on  06/03/2012 at 8:12 pm

@Mary La Plante…i agree…i had a doberman who was so timid :) just his size made people think otherwise.

38. Wendy says on  06/03/2012 at 8:17 pm

and people says pitties are bad.

39. Joan says on  06/03/2012 at 8:24 pm

Gorgeous story:) I hope she makes a speedy recovery Well done Lilly

40. Beautiful story!

41. Tracey says on  06/03/2012 at 8:38 pm

Lilly you are what is good about dogs. I hope that Lilly’s owner will be okay and that they can continue to have a great life together.

42. Michelle says on  06/03/2012 at 8:54 pm

Awww what a #beautiful story. Dogs have such big, beautiful hearts. Wishing her a speedy recovery.

43. This kind of story should be on the Front page of every newspaper in the Nation.

44. Mary says on  06/03/2012 at 9:19 pm

GOOD DOG!!!!!

45. Anonymous says on  06/03/2012 at 10:08 pm

Am I mistaken or did the list just get censored because someone doesn’t agree with everyone else about pit bulls on here? For shame. I enjoyed the site bit can’t tolerate that sort of blind one sidedness.

• You are correct. Ignorant comments are deleted with glee. It’s one thing to disagree, but stating that the dog will probably eat someone afterward is clearly trolling. Another comment like that and the user will be permanently banned.

46. That is why I will always own a pit/pit mix they are just great dogs plain and simple there are so many stories of dogs coming to the aid of there owners and others , and a good percentage of the dogs are pit or pit mixes

47. Naida says on  06/03/2012 at 10:44 pm