The Many Benefits of Foot Soaks for Dogs

I often stress the importance of removing pesticides, herbicides, ragweed, grasses, pollens, molds, dust mites and other pollutants from your dog’s feet on a regular basis.

Dogs are naked. They don’t wear clothes, or shoes and socks. They don’t shower every day. Their bodies collect allergens and chemicals in the environment, and it builds up quickly.

Did you know about 50 percent of foot licking and chewing can be alleviated by mechanically removing (rinsing off) allergens and other irritants collected on your dog’s paws?

It’s the ‘How’ and ‘How Often’ That’s Important

A washcloth isn’t nearly as efficient at cleaning your dog’s feet as dunking them is. So when I say foot ‘soaks’ or ‘rinses’ I mean exactly that.

You don’t need to do the soak in a big tub. For instance, if your dog is a big guy, you can use a bucket and soak one foot at a time.

If you have a little dog, you can use your kitchen or bathroom sink.

It doesn’t matter where you do it or whether you rinse all four paws at once or one paw at a time. What’s important is to soak those paws at the end of any day when your pet has been in contact with allergens, lawn chemicals, or anything in the environment with the potential to irritate her feet.

The only places dogs sweat from are their noses and the pads of their feet. So those damp little pads can collect a really heavy load of irritants.

A soak at the end of the day will reduce the chemical burden on your dog, as well as the potential for irritation.

Doing the Soak

You only need enough water to cover the pads of your dog’s feet.

You want to dilute the povidone iodine with water to the color of iced tea, using just your eyes – no scientific formula is involved! If it comes up too light, just add a bit more of the iodine. If it’s a bit dark, add more water.

I recommend you let your dog stand in the solution for from two to five minutes.

You don’t have to do anything to the feet or toes — the solution will do the work for you. So you can just stand and sing to your dog while he soaks, or talk to him and tell him how handsome and well behaved he is.

If your dog is nervous about being in water, you can offer treats. Treats always help pass the time, so having some snacks handy is a good idea.

If your dog is truly fearful of water, rather than plunk her in the tub or sink, you can do a little mini-soak. Put a little povidone iodine in a small container, add water and create a little mini foot soak. You can just plop each little foot in the mini-soak one at a time, making sure each entire pad surface is covered with the mixture, and it shouldn’t be nearly as scary for your dog as being put in the bathtub.

Remember, the key is to get the feet submerged in the solution, which will wash away any type of yeast that might be growing, as well as mild bacterial infections, allergens, and other contaminants.

Pat Dry and Go!

After you’ve soaked each foot for two to five minutes, there’s no need to rinse the solution off your dog’s feet. This is another great feature of povidone iodine.

Just lift your dog out of the bath or remove that last foot and pat the paws dry. Done!

If you’re short on space or time, you can re-use a container of foot soak for two or three days. Some people leave a pail of the mixture on their deck or porch and make a fresh batch every few days.

Others keep a garden hose handy and fill up a bucket, a small plastic tub or even a coffee can and mix in the iodine solution, dumping after each use.

I wouldn’t go more than two or three days using the same foot soak solution.

And keep in mind you don’t have to use a lot of water or povidone iodine – just enough to fully cover your dog’s foot pads with a solution the color of iced tea. This saves both water and iodine, and if your dog has a water phobia, it will also reduce her anxiety to use only the amount of water necessary to get the job done.

style="display:inline-block;width:600px;height:300px"
data-ad-client="ca-pub-6679173923296158"
data-ad-slot="6887907140">

Related posts

July 20, 2012 11:05 amPosted 2 years ago
    Jen

The other nice thing about povidone iodine is that it actually is completely over-the-counter – not “behind the counter.” In many states these days, buying actual iodine is regulated, not by the requirement of needing a prescription but many states’ drug enforcement regulations now require that someone buying “regular” iodine provide complete ID and they are entered in that state’s “drug registry.” This is part of drug enforcement actions by many states because “regular” iodine is used in meth manufacture.

Dr. Becker, how would you counteract the drying effect on skin of daily soaks? When I have used povidone iodine in assorted types of caring for my horses I have noticed a pronounced skin drying problem, to the point where I protect my hands with non-latex exam gloves.

July 21, 2012 12:40 pmPosted 2 years ago
      Jen

The drying effect I was asking about was for my dog’s paws – I already use exam gloves for skin protection for myself. I just wonder about even diluted Povidone Iodine drying out dog pads and toes and itself causing itching because of dryness.

July 20, 2012 11:44 amPosted 2 years ago
    bonny

i do this every day,sometimes more depending on the weather and where the boys have been,not with iodine but each dog gets a good soak,they walk around in the tub some times playing with each other,while i gather towels for them to walk on,then when they are all zoomed out we sit on the couch and rub paws with a small amount of waxy lip balm.

Thumb up 1 Thumb down 0

July 20, 2012 12:37 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Pattie

some small breeds are allergic to poultry and they will lick their paws too!

July 20, 2012 12:37 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Joyce

I use a half and half solution of white vinegar and water.

Thumb up 1 Thumb down 0

July 20, 2012 12:39 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Ripley

Thanks very much for this informative article. I only heard recently about how allergens etc. can be the cause of much paw licking. I shall be buying some povidone iodine as I also heard recently how it’s useful for other stuff, too :-)

• July 20, 2012 12:41 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Joyce

When I gave coconut oil to my dog, All his skin allergies went away. You can get it at Whole Foods.

Thumb up 1 Thumb down 0

• July 20, 2012 12:41 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Leslie

Soaking their feet in Selsun blue shampoo works great, too!

July 20, 2012 12:43 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Eef

true!

July 20, 2012 12:43 pmPosted 2 years ago
    julane

Thank you.

July 20, 2012 12:46 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Julie

Thank you so much for this information!!! We have a little guy and the vet tells us its food allergies but we switched his food and everything and he still has itchy paws. I will give this a try!!!

Thumb up 1 Thumb down 0

July 20, 2012 12:46 pmPosted 2 years ago
    August

Us dogs also like a good foot and toe massage too!

Thumb up 1 Thumb down 0

July 20, 2012 12:53 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Amanda

THis is great! So timely. My dog is just finishing up treatment for most likely grass allergies (ear infection, itchy feet) and I was trying to figure out how we were going to deal with it after the inital treatment was over.

July 20, 2012 12:54 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Diane

Woof!!!

July 20, 2012 12:54 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Lynne

“My favorite solution for foot soaks is povidone iodine. Povidone iodine is an organic iodine solution. It’s safe, non-toxic, antifungal, antibacterial, and anti-yeast. You can buy it at any pharmacy.”

Thank you. I had seen this advised on a Karen Becker video but couldn’t understand what kind of iodine she was talking about. You’ve answered this for me.

• July 20, 2012 12:59 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Jenny

Thank you for posting this!! I am dealing with this very issue.

• July 20, 2012 1:04 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Bo

What really helps is giving your dog different food- based on potatoes en a different kind of meat like deer or pig meat! Almost 80% of This kind of suffering is due to big food allergy ( grains ) i,am feeding my dog Luposan – and – or – Fish 4 Dogs! This helps!!

Thumb up 1 Thumb down 1

• July 20, 2012 1:09 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Kelly

Thank you for this posting! I recently took my Westie to the vet and he’s been a serial paw licker since he was a puppy. We’ve been told to give him benadryl and we use the Malaseb spray, but he hates it. We always wipe down his paws after he’s been outside but that seems like it’s never enough. Now we’ve been told to put him on a super strict diet and he’s on protest with his food. If this foot soak is the remedy we will be forever grateful!!!!

March 27, 2013 4:26 pmPosted 1 year ago
      Chris

We had tried ALL that with our male westie too. We also had done steriods, food elimination diet, you name it. Turns out it was psychological licking (which my husband and I suspected but the vet was skeptical). A few days on “puppy prozac” and the licking all but stopped! I am sure it is a rare case, but our little guy is SO much happier now. And so is his baby sister (also Westie) who has a much livelier playmate!

July 20, 2012 1:16 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Christine

Our Airdale chews on the ends of her paws like crazy!!

July 20, 2012 1:18 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Kitty

My boxer takes 1 zyrtec a day…this will help too!!!

Thumb up 0 Thumb down 1

• July 20, 2012 1:23 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Patti

Thanks for posting.

July 20, 2012 1:27 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Linda

We switched to a corn free food and he stopped chewing.

• July 20, 2012 1:32 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Mary

• July 20, 2012 2:12 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Judith

I keep the “all natural” generic brand baby wipes on hand for this – works great for dirty paws, too!

July 20, 2012 2:45 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Katt

It does work :O)

July 20, 2012 2:45 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Eva

Is this what is going n with “Dolly”?

• July 20, 2012 3:08 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Evelyn

Beings its been so hot,We haven’t been out as much @our Shp.mix hasn’t had any Hot Spots so far this summer. Have been feeding ground organic flax seed in with kibble each day for past year@do Mounds Senior kibble also. Grind our F.Seeds in Coffee grinder AND Our Arab/Paint(5)gets a few scoops(1/4 to1/2 everyday also in Her Grain. Prince had terrible Hot Spots other Years@I used Vetricyn@Helped 100% for relief. Hopefully this will all help U-Good Luck. Morgie chews on Her toenails sometime, then I direct Her to do something else! Good Luck!

• July 20, 2012 3:58 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Margaret

My yellow lab reacted to the cedar bark mulch that is on some of our local parks. After each walk, I would rinse her feel with fresh water. No more paw licking and sores between her toes.

Thumb up 1 Thumb down 0

July 21, 2012 12:38 pmPosted 2 years ago
    Rox

Could Dr Becker also do an in-depth article about household and lawn chemicals and their short and long term effects on dogs and maybe get someone to contribute information about the “green” alternatives for a “green” lawn. Sadly there are people who are still clueless about this terrible toxic problem but even my landlord who has a toddler and a small schnauzer is pretty much every weekend just going at it with everything chemical on the market.

I too like flax seed and feed freshly ground organic flax not only to my JRT but also to my own very elderly two Arabian horses one of whom has both types of metabolic disease. My JRT’s coat is actually silky and very soft to the touch from this.

Thumb up 2 Thumb down 0

April 2, 2013 7:51 pmPosted 1 year ago
    Jackson

Dogs can live 27 years with healhy food and sport. I think the best thing you can do for your dog is to give them homemade food. You can find lots of homemade food recipes here please don’t give them commercial food.

Thumb up 1 Thumb down 0

October 14, 2013 1:26 pmPosted 9 months ago
    Bill

I volunteer with a Great Dane Rescue and tried the iodine soak on my current foster who’s paws were getting raw from pollen allergies aggravated by licking. I’m amazed how quickly they started to improve.