Firefighters Raise Funds to Get New Dog for Girl Who Lost Hers in Tragic Fire

Emmaus, Pennsylvania firefighters are going above and beyond their call of duty for two families who lost everything in the New Year’s Eve fire that destroyed their duplex house.  After raising funds to provide them with clothing, the crew is now planning to get an 11-year-old girl a new dog.

After they finished battling the blaze that ravaged the duplex house shared by Katherine and Gerald Maury and Jarred Goeppert and his young daughter, Jada, the Emmaus Fire Department wanted to do something more to help.

Capt. Matt Hahn and Lt. Bob Schwoyer headed up the campaign to get clothing donations.  The eastern PA community has been generous, and clothes have come flooding in.  The Red Cross will help ensure that excess donations will go to other families in need.  Small household items and toiletries were also collected, and toys donated to Jada.

“They lost everything,” Hahn said. “It was just Christmas and she lost all of her presents.”

The crew is even trying to find out what she received for Christmas, so they can replace the presents exactly.

The families are lucky to have escaped with their lives, and can do their best to replace material possessions.  But one thing can never be replaced – Jada’s Great Dane.  It died in the fire, and Jada injured herself trying to save it.  She was placed on a ventilator for two days to treat smoke inhalation.

When Jada is finished grieving and ready to love again, the Emmaus firefighters will have a collection all set up for her to get another dog.  There is no doubt a shelter dog out there who would love to have an 11-year-old girl become her new best friend.

The fire department will be accepting donations this Saturday, Jan. 5th from 9 am – 3 pm, of household items, money, and gift cards for grocery stores and restaurants for both families.  They will soon be working on collecting donations for larger appliances once the Maurys and Goepperts find more permanent lodgings.







Related posts

3 comments

  • Visit site
    January 4, 2013 10:26 pmPosted 1 year ago
    WisePati

    Horrible, but the dog was not an ‘it’, but a he or she. Hoping that whatever new home they have has smoke detectors or something to prevent this from happening again. I can’t imagine how that dog suffered before he/she died. And all this suffering is ultimately the fault of human beings in some way…faulty electric, bad appliance, etc.

    Reply
    • Visit site
      January 5, 2013 11:09 amPosted 1 year ago
      Anonymous

      Give me a break!!!!!! They LOST everything…be a little “wiser” Pati and realize compassion should be extended to all who need it. Ultimately according to your thoughts everything is the fault of humans. Everything includes helping to save animals too….

      Reply
  • Visit site
    January 5, 2013 9:15 pmPosted 1 year ago
    Anonymous

    Plus this little girl tried to save her dog, and ended up on the ventilator for 2 days. She could have died also. Don’t be so judgemental! Yes, the poor pup suffered, and died. But they could have all died. People are not perfect, but they are just trying to survive…..Patti be decent….

    Reply

Leave your comment

Your Name: (not required)

E-Mail: (not required)

Website: (not required)

Message: (required)

Send comment