Lessons are often all around us, but we may be missing some important ones that are being given to us by our dogs. Consider that the simplest acts are often the most powerful. While it is true that not every dog has exemplary behavior, that holds as much to us, as well, but what they do demonstrate, far better than we, is their abandon for life, when given the chance.
These ten things dogs so easily demonstrate and serve as unabashed reminders of those things we should be putting into each and every day, ourselves.
- LISTEN: Remembering that talking is only a small piece of communication. Listening can often be far more important
- EXERCISE: We should exercise every day, even a little bit, so we can stay in good health and be able to continue to play with our dogs
- RELAX: While some of us are really good at relaxing, others never give themselves the permission to do so, so it is about striking that balance so we can be rejuvenated and at our best
- LOVE: Remembering to love, whether it is spouse, friend, family, neighbor, or your dog, it enriches our lives
- SHARE: Sharing, even with what little we have, not only shows we care about someone else, but it makes us feel good, too
- OVERCOME: Every day we are faced with things we need to stand to and deal with, whether small, like not being able to find a pen when you need it, to larger issues like work-place or home-life challenges. With fortitude and patience, we can overcome. It may be messy and it probably won’t be perfect, but we can position ourselves to work through whatever comes our way
- LOYAL: Being loyal is not always easy, but it is often the right thing to do when it comes to family, friends, and those we love
- GOOD-BYE: Difficult as it may be, it is important to say good-bye. It shows how much we loved, respected, admired, and appreciated those we have lost
- HEAL: We each have the power to heal those around us. It can be as simple as taking a moment to sit and talk with someone or making them some homemade (or canned) chicken soup to assisting with errands or exercise. We can make a difference to someone or an animal who needs us
- HERO: Each one of us can be a hero. Holding a door open for someone. Helping someone with homework.Donating groceries to the food bank or pet supplies to your local rescue. Being observant and watchful for dangerous situations. Adopting a rescue animal. Large or small, it doesn’t matter. It isn’t about accolades, it is simply about doing the right thing when and where we can
- ENJOY LIFE: The last one may be the most difficult of all for some of us and that is to enjoy life. Every day is a new experience and a new opportunity to become the person our dogs think we are. What could be more powerful than that?
There is so much more, but let these serve as a guide to see our way toward more positive and happy days, thanks to our dogs.