Last weekend we entertained an unexpected guest.
I was in my office, working on a new post when my wife called me from our sunroom. Hearing the urgency in her voice I came running, and the moment I stepped across the threshold the source of her consternation greeted me. Buzzing closely near my face as it passed, I could feel a faint breeze on my face from the wings of a confused hummingbird that had found a way into our home. Baffled by the glass surrounding it, the distressed bird was bouncing off the windows in an attempt to find a way to freedom.
I ran for a camera and a dish towel, knowing that if too much time passed, it was possible that our visitor might suffer from shock or injure itself while trying to escape. After a number of unsuccessful attempts to capture the frightened bird it did me a giant favor, landing on a wall and hanging on while it caught its breath.
That was all I needed to make my move, and in seconds I had secured our guest, transferring it from the dish towel to the safety of my closed fist. We walked out to the back porch, prepared to free our feathered friend. I slowly opened my palm and winced, waiting for an explosion of feathers as the avian escapee rocketed from my exposed palm, shooting skyward and leaving his captors far behind.
No such thing happened. Instead, we both watched in amazement as our feathered friend collected itself, repositioning in my palm and squatting down to nestle in a sunbeam. For minutes we just stared at the little marvel as it sunbathed, seemingly unconcerned with our presence.
After more than enough pictures had been taken, a slight nudge was all that was required to bring the little hummer back to its senses. Watching it take flight from the palm of my hand, lighting on a nearby bush before disappearing from view, I wished it well, thankful for our chance meeting, two unrelated species having the chance to relate for a few brief, but thoroughly beautiful moments.
• • •
Happy Saturday, and welcome to another installment of the Saturday Pet Blogger Hop! You’ve found the right place to connect with other pet lovers. Whether you are a seasoned blogger, one who loves reading pet blogs, or if you’re just thinking about starting your own blog – there is definitely something here for you. Acquaint yourself and enjoy – this is your resource, so use it as you see fit! Of course, you have to follow the rules, so let’s get to that. Get those links in and have fun.
- Link up your pet blog name and URL using the Linky Tool below. You only need to add your link once to be seen on all the Saturday Pet Blogger Blog Hop Linky Tools for that week. Note that if your blog is not pet related your link will be removed. Also note that only one post per blog is acceptable, and links promoting giveaways that are unrelated to the pet blogger hop will be removed.
- Grab the “Saturday Pet Blogger Blog Hop” button on the right hand side of this site and include it in your Saturday Blog hop post so that your readers will know what is going on. *Note – posting is optional. Feel free to just link and follow.
- Follow your co-hosts listed in the first 3 slots of the Linky Tool.
- Follow as many other blogs on the linky as you’d like.
- Take a moment to comment on the blogs telling them you’re from the blog hop.
- Follow back when you get a new follower through the Saturday Pet Blogger Hop.
- Make friends and grow. ♥