Cuddy, like many dogs, loves a good stick! But it took vets some six months to figure out that it was a stick that was causing the poor pup’s mysterious pain.
Back in July, the 1-year-old was rushed to the vet following what her owner, Myrle Crossdale, could see was a serious injury — except that no one could find out exactly what was bothering her.
“She likes to hunt and chase things and track and she knows where all the squirrels, rabbits and chipmunks are in the yard,” Cuddy’s owner, Croasdale told WCCO.
Back in July while running through her own yard in Rockford, MN, Cuddy emerged from the woods and it was clear she was in extreme pain.
“It’s hard to describe. Choking and baying, really in a panic. She was just hysterical,” Croasdale said. “There wasn’t a mark on her. I couldn’t figure it out. Then she went into shock and we thought we would lose her on the way to the emergency animal hospital.”
Crossdale says the vet, who’d found what looked like a small puncture wound or hornet’s sting, might be the problem. X-rays revealed nothing, but as time passed poor Cuddy suffered from fevers, abscesses and infections.
This week, Crossdale took Cuddy to a specialist at BluePearl Veterinary Partners in Eden Prairie, where Dr. Andrew Jackson discovered a two-and-a-half inch piece of wood embedded deep in the dog’s throat.
“Wood doesn’t show up on X-rays, so you could take X-rays of her neck and you wouldn’t see anything. So we did a special X-ray where we injected dye into her neck, through the holes of the draining track and that highlighted the stick pretty well,” Jackson said.
Days later Cuddy is feeling much better and is expected to make a full recovery, but she will be on antibiotics for quite a while. Crossdale received help with Cuddy’s medical expenses by reaching out to a foundation called Frankie’s Friends that helps pet owners.