11 thoughts on “Disabled Woman and Guide Dog Kicked out of Ann Taylor Store”

1. I like Ann Taylor clothing, too, but I have absolutely ZERO tolerance for discrimination of any kind! And to disallow guide dogs is a FEDERAL violation of the law. If Ann Taylor truly cares, they will fire the offending clerk and give this lady a substantial Ann Taylor gift card! Otherwise, I will never shop there again.

2. Why does this keep happening?!?

Are these business owners living under a rock? Do they not know the laws regarding assistance dogs?

GEEZE!

3. NOTHING PISSES ME OFF MORE THAN TO HEAR THAT A HANDICAPPED PERSON AND THEIR SERVICE DOG HAS BEEN DISCRIMINATED AGAINST YET AGAIN! I DON’T GET PEOPLE….IT IS LAW THAT THESE DOGS ACCOMPANY THEIR HUMAN! IF ANN TAYLOR DOES NOTHING ABOUT THIS I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER ITEM FROM THOSE STORES! AND SHAME ON YOU YOUNG LADY, LETS HOPE KARMA DOESN’T COME BACK TO BITE YOU IN THE ASS AND SOME DAY YOU REQUIRE A SERVICE DOG AND ARE DENIED ACCESS TO WHERE EVER….THAT WOULD BE A SHAME! COME ON PEOPLE GET YOUR &%$ TOGETHER!

4. What a gentlewoman she is…she and her dog would always be welcome in any store of mine….actually, ANY dog would be welcome!

5. In most cases it is illegal to deny guide dogs into stores and even restaurants..and that’s the way it should be !!!!

• Yes service dogs are welcome in grocery stores, ALL grocery stores-an allergists office-well people with service dogs are not idiots, they understand the concept of allergic reactions, so we can assume they would ring first.

6. I am continually amazed at the ignorance various business owners and/or their employees are about service animals and the rights of disabled people. Unfortunately, those who take their pets and claim them to be service dogs without any validation create confusion and hamper the acceptance of the true service animal. Education is key, as well as some level of integrity on the part of the ‘fakers’. We all love to take our pets along with us, but lying about the reason is just wrong.

7. This is partly why so many of us with legitimate service dogs don’t use them in small towns and shopping malls. My service akita helps me with hearing, balance and mobility. But people assume since I speak normally that I can hear normally as well. Thank goodness my husband does almost all the shopping. It’s terribly isolating and sad to be homebound because of people perceiving that I don’t deserve to use a handicapped parking space or the help of my service dog and that I am “faking”

• PS: I wouldn’t have letters from my medical doctors that I require a service dog if I was faking. also, ADA says you do not have to show proof or say what sort of service your animal provides.