Dog Given Up For Being “Too Big” Gets New Life, New Job

Look at that face! In her new job, Lupine will be a "large-dog ambassador" to the community. Photo: Arizona Animal Welfare League & SPCA
Look at that face! In her new job, Lupine will be a “large-dog ambassador” to the community. Photo: Arizona Animal Welfare League & SPCA

———————————————————————————————————————————————————-

Don’t judge a book by its cover is an old and apt adage, for rescue dogs in particular. Gorgeous, sweet, 70-pound Lupine had been at the Arizona Animal Welfare League & SPCA shelter since August.

Michael Morefield, spokesperson for the shelter, told the Dodo her previous owners explained they were giving her up “because she was ‘too big.'”

Of course, shelter staffers and volunteers couldn’t possibly disagree more, but sadly, due to misconceptions about big dogs with blocky heads (not to mention rental properties that restrict pet weights and entire cities that restrict breeds and “breed types” based solely on looks, dogs like Lupine are very often overlooked, despite how charming and goofy they often are.

Speaking of which, here she is, snuggling herself into her blankets at the shelter. How cute!

———————————————————————————————————————————————————-

Until recently, Lupine seemed to be doing well — always cheerful, silly and outgoing.

But, she still wasn’t adopted. And as the weeks went on, Lupine seemed to be growing “more somber,” as Morefield puts it. “That was concerning to us.”

To try and cheer her up, Lupine has been hanging out in staffers’ offices for a change of scenery an gone on all kinds of field trips in service to the shelter. Here she is helping unload the truck with members of the Veterans of Activy Duty Military of Dusty Dawgs Motorcycle Group, who generously donated a bunch of supplies:

lupine1

———————————————————————————————————————————————————-

Over time, Lupine’s stellar behavior during all these events, with all kinds of people and animals, gave the folks at the shelter a great idea.

Lupine would make the perfect “ambassador” for large dogs just like herself, showing everyone what model citizens big dogs can be. She is presently being officially evaluated for the job. Once cleared, Lupine will begin a new “career” going out to schools and community events to show everyone that big shelter dogs with ginormous square heads are super-great, super-sweet, super pets!

Lupine lets those long legs stretch out! :) Photo: Arizona Animal Welfare League & SPCA
Lupine lets those long legs stretch out! 🙂 Photo: Arizona Animal Welfare League & SPCA

———————————————————————————————————————————————————-

They hope she will be the voice that helps “the next Lupine” spend far less time in the shelter and find his or her forever home quickly.

What’s more, the new job comes with its own forever home. Lupine will live with the shelter’s education director.

“She will have constant enrichment, dog friends and a support network of people to help her be successful,” says Morefield.

34 thoughts on “Dog Given Up For Being “Too Big” Gets New Life, New Job”

1. Love this article. A subject that I’ve never run across (and I’m always reading articles on my favorite species. . . . . . .dogs). I know property owners do not like to rent to people if they have large dogs and of course, the breeds that are discriminated against (pit bull, german sheperd, etc).

2. We’eve had numerous big dogs in our life. One was a 125 LB mutt, one was a 1/2 pit girl. When they died, we got another 1/2 pit girl. She plays and sleeps with our 2 Boston Terriers and a chiweenie. Makes me mad that people think animals are like trash, done with them, then just throw them away. People that do this, just get a pet rock.

3. “Misconceptions about dogs with blocky heads”. it’s a fact that since 1982, 67% of all dog attacks are by Pit Bull’s. By obvious math, this means Pit Bulls account for more attacks than all other breeds combined, and over 82% of all deaths… I recognize “Pit Bull Lives Matter”, but statistics shows some form of change needs to occur, and I don’t think it is because the victims are fabricating the numbers… stop breeding for the sake of a powerful dog, and maybe people won’t get themselves into more than they can chew… Yes, I just did that…

• It is stupid, unloving and uneducated comments like yours that make obvious bias
      a revolving door for many of God’s creatures. If God loves them but criminals abuse them to death, what side are you on? Enough great people call them family members and would not want to miss them for the would.

• So what the hell have you done to help an animal? What is the point of your nonsensical post? Of course breeders are scum and wastes of air!! That is a given!! Anyone who breeds an animal is at the very least no better than someone that deals in the human slave trade!! These greedy piles of garbage are not fit to breathe the same air as my dog. And the idiot morons that “purchase” animals from breeders are just as bad!! In this age of social media and the world at our fingertips via the internet, there is NO excuse for ignorance!!!! Blaming this breed of dog is blaming is just like blaming the victim!! Anyone that doesn’t get that can kiss my behind!!!

• Not all Pit Bulls are Aggressive. I have a pit bull myself, and in all Honesty it all depends on the owner. If an owner is aggressive, and trains his dogs to be aggressive and attacks other dogs then that is on them. I know many Pit bull owners and their dogs are so sweet, and super playful just like mine is. Don’t be Closed minded.

• Pitt Bulls might not be more aggressive but their ability to kill and maim is greater than other dogs.

• When smaller dogs bite….no one reports them, Only when PIt bulls/large dogs {usually owned by stupid vicious people that are cruel to them, are they reported, ! Mostly without finding what occurred before the attack. Young to teenage children are often ‘making sport’ thinking it is funny to tease them. Just like people, they lose patience, especially with abusive owners and teasing from children.. We had a German Shepard/wolf dog that was the gentilest animal you have ever seen. Every day, on their way to school 3 high school boys teased him and at first he wagged his tail but gradually, he stopped and started barking at them. I had enough and one day I said if you want to pay with my dog, I will open the gate. They took off with no ma’am that’s ok. I then told them to stop teasing him., and altered their way to school. But this is one of the thoughtless ways young people get into trouble. STOP blaming the dog and check what is going on to cause it.

• You have obviously centered in on the “fact” about attacks being carried out by MOSTLY Pitties.The REAL fact is that those are the attacks that are being REPORTED.It has always BEEN this way,and it won’t change until people start reporting attacks by ALL breeds.GET YOUR FACTS before you turn loose the mob with the pitchforks!!!! ,MANY elderly people have adopted Pitties because they are SO loyal and loving dogs. YES,I did the research,and that is EXACTLY what I found. Pitties and Bull Terriers have gotten a really bad rap, because they ARE so loyal,they will do ANYTHING to please their “person”.And, YES, I have a Pitty, and a Pitt/Mastiff, and I totally defend their right to have a loving family-MINE,and I know hundreds of people who have adopted these breeds, and NO PROBLEMS. These dogs have a bad rap because “thugs” insist on getting this breed and TRAINING them to be aggressive, and those of us who have these dogs as part of our FAMILIES are trying VERY hard to educate people on how wonderful members of our families they really ARE.

• Here they are bred to be large and large-headed because they are used for hunting as well as family dogs. They are about the only dog that can take down a razorback pig. They used to be called the ‘babysitting dog’ for heavens sake. It’s irresponsible breeders that are at fault.

• No asshole, it’s the animal humans who get them and do what they do with them. You ever owned one? The shut the F up. I’ve had three, never a problem. Yeah, it’s idiot’s like you that
      know nothing, but no so much. Go away.

know nothing, but know so much. Go away.

• Blame the idiotic, power hungry abusive owners for making the dog aggressive and mean. Don’t blame the dog or the breed. Yes Pit Bulls are powerful dogs, so are many other breeds. You have to MAKE a dog mean….you can make a chihuahua mean. It is people like you who spit out statistics without knowing the cause behind them that cause so many dogs to be homeless and or euthanized. I hope to hell you don’t have an animal.

4. I feel sorry for those who don’t know the love of a pet. I also am very sad that people turn animals into the shelter. Makes me cry my eyes out. I am so happy that this beautiful girl has found her forever family and she gets to do what she does best: LOVE. Thank you to the shelter that has helped her so much. You are angels and so is Lupine!

5. Lupine looks like my Boxer Molly. She is a sweet good tempered pup. Shes 7 and weighs 45# but in
    her heart she’s still a puppy and lap dog.

6. It looks like she’s part boxer, which is an extremely playful breed, and mixed maybe with bull dog, which is an extremely goofy breed, or mixed with pit bull, which is an extremely loyal breed. Any of the above would make a great large breed pet.

I’m glad she’s going to get her forever home, and will be able to be an ambassador for large breed dogs. Hopefully she can change some of the stigma behind short haired box-headed dogs being aggressive pit bulls. Not all stocky short-haired dogs are pit bulls, and very few pit bulls are truly aggressive!