Heroic Dog Rescues Kittens Dumped in Traffic

When a bag of kittens was dumped and run over in traffic on a rural Iowa highway, a dog named Reagan rushed to their rescue.

Iowa’s Raccoon Valley Animal Sanctuary is home to two kittens who owe their lives to Reagan. Three months ago her owner called the sanctuary seeking help after pulling two live kittens out of a Meow Mix bag that her dog had found in the road.

“It was gruesome, quite gruesome because the kittens…there was a litter of 4 or 5 of them and you couldn’t tell if there were 2 or 3 (in the bag) they had been run over by a vehicle. It was not a pretty sight,” said Linda Blakely of the Raccoon Valley Animal Sanctuary.

The fact that Skipper and Tipper even survived is difficult to explain, but one thing is certain: had Reagan not found them, they likely would have died on the spot. The yellow lab literally dragged the bag out of the road. Then she dragged it all the way home. And cried until her owner opened it. Reagan’s owner could hear faint cries from the bag, but said she was completely unprepared for what she found.

After recovering from the shock of finding the kittens in that bag, Reagan’s owner called the sanctuary and brought them in. They were weak and required bottle feeding every few hours, but both have recovered fully and are thriving at the sanctuary. They are also available for adoption. Blakely says they probably never would have made it off that road were it not for the love of a dog.

“The instinct of the dog was to nurture and not kill. With all the blood some dogs would have responded to the scent. Reagan the dog is a hero,” says Blakely.

59 thoughts on “Heroic Dog Rescues Kittens Dumped in Traffic”

1. The people who did this deserve the same fate. There is excuse for the cruelty. They could have taken the kittens to the shelter. Reagan is a good dog and his owner is just as special. Great job to all those involved in the survival of those two sweet kitties. I would love to hear that they both get a great home together.

2. yay Reagan you are a true hero, more of a hero than humans. I hope he got a nice big juicy steak as a reward. 🙂

• No they live on a very quiet gravel road.I think they were put on that road for a reason! Thank you to Reagan and the Very heroic owner!

• excellent question and my thoughts too…Owner sounds like a idiot too ” oh my dog came wandering home from the highway with a bag of kittens”…She sounds like a genius

• That is not at all what happened. I’m not even sure how you made that assumption from the story you read. Maybe you need to re-read the story.

• Do you live or have you ever lived in the country!!! Don’t blame this dog owner for their dog being able to run lose. That is country life!!! Reagan was a hero and this owner is a very responsible owner. She could have just killed those kittens but didn’t. That is what county people do!!

• you too sound like an idiot. dongs that live on farm run loose and maybe he heard the cries and his instinct drew him to the area. sounds like you would have let the kittens die :<

• whoops should have read “dogs”. also come out of the comforts of you home and see what country living is like.

• I was wondering that myself. If the dog is allowed to run loose, he might be the next one to get run over. Food for thought.

3. I’m with you, Tracey. Subject the kitten dumpers to the same fate. Stick ’em in a gunny sack and toss them on the interstate in the dark in the rain during major truck travel time to maximize potential of impact. I am SOOO sick and tired of irresponsible scumsucking bottom feeders doing this to animals. These are not people – they are useless bioentities who have no business sucking up oxygen better saved for higher life forms.

My pittie who rescued kittens wasn’t so lucky. She found the dumped kittens with their dead mother at the side of the road and called and called, yipping her “look mom what I found” special bark. But she got impatient and before I could stable up the horse I was leading when she raised the alarm she darted across the road to get to me to show me what she had found. A speeding beer swilling good ol’ boy in a rust heap took her out. She lived long enough for me to get her to the emergency animal hospital before apologetically taking her last breath. The a-hos (you know what I mean) at the emergency clinic held me up for a large donation “to save another dog in memory of yours who didn’t make it” and I was so distraught that I caved to the emotional blackmail. I never forgot how my wonderful pittie gave her life to save these kittens.

4. funny mayzie ,u make sense ,we become so outraged and we dont think it through , however who ever did this i agree should get the death penalty ,sick f i people , so sick !!!! they dont deserve to live ……. heartless

5. GOD BLESS you Reagan!!! you are truly a hero and GOD bless the kittens that survived and that didn’t…how truly sad…..people that would do this to animals, would do the same to another person…that is scary and they do deserve the same fate!

6. The piece of human trash who is responsible for this should be found and killed and sorry but I do not think that is harsh at all. People like this need to be severely abused themselves to make them realize that no living creature should be treated like garbage. As far as I am concerned animals should have the same rights as humans and from what I see and read about many humans, animals deserve more.