We all know about things like Father’s Day and Mother’s Day, Columbus Day, and many other holidays that celebrate all manner of things. Some strange, so not quite as. So it only stands to reason that we have a special day to celebrate man’s best friend, and longtime companion, the dog.
The “holiday” is also known as National Dog Appreciation Day, and takes place on the 26th of August. It’s been an officially recognized holiday in existence since 2004
“I want this to be a day to encourage dog ownership of all breeds, mixed and pure – to help abolish puppy mills and end breed specific legislation, so we can create a world where all dogs (and every other animal) can live a happy, safe and abuse-free life,” said the founder of National Dog Day Colleen Paige.
NationalDogDay.com has a nice list of ways to celebrate National Dog Day. The complete list is available from the website, but here are just a few of the ways you and your pooch can strengthen your bond, and say thanks to the most loyal creature man has ever known:
- Adopt a dog from your local shelter or purebred rescue organization.
- Volunteer at your local shelter and offer to walk a dog or play with a dog, clean cages or anything else they need help with.
- Have a safety check of your home to make sure it’s safe for your dog and others.
- Donate blankets, food and toys to animal welfare organizations.
- Organize a peaceful demonstration in front of your community pet store that sells puppies.
- Write your Congressman and ask that he/she support the ban of Puppy Mills and Gas Chambers in your state.
- Order an adorable dog shaped flower arrangement from 1-800-Flowers.com and enjoy a 10 percent discount by using code DOG when placing your order!
- Have a National Dog Day party and invite all your friends and their dogs!
- Spend the day taking photos of your dog.
- Assist an ill or elderly neighbor by walking their dog.
- Buy your dog a fun new dog toy … or two … or five.
- Give your dog some fun exercise by taking him or her to a doggy play resort.
- Brush your dog to eliminate excess fur.
- Give your dog a massage or holistic spa treatment.
- Teach your dog a new trick.
- Buy your dog a fashionable collar and leash
National Dog Day is a day of remembering all of our pets, past and present, and give thinks to an animal that without man would have a much less enriching and fulfilling life. So, Happy National Dog Day everyone!