On Saturday the Indianapolis Fire Department was recognized for their efforts to save the lives of animals. On Sunday they showed why they deserved that recognition when they saved a dog from a house fire.
In 2010 the Indianapolis Fire Department began using pet oxygen masks after a resident concerned for pets approached them. The IFD has used the Project Breathe Mask to save the lives of many animals injured during fires.
For their efforts they were presented with a Professional Excellence Through Service Award on Saturday. The P.E.T.S. award is given to individuals or organizations that demonstrate qualities such as outstanding community service, dedication, and love and commitment to animals.
The IFD demonstrated that love and commitment to animals the following afternoon when they saved the life of a family’s dog. J.J. was in the home when the fire broke out on Sunday afternoon. Firefighters used oxygen therapy to save the dog who was suffering from smoke inhalation. J.J. is expected to be okay.