Mama Dog Refuses to Leave Cemetery Where She Buried Her Puppy

1.11.15 - Mama Dog Refuses to Leave Cemetery Where She Buried Her Puppy1

Despite temperatures dipping below freezing, a stray Savannah, Georgia dog has been unwaveringly holding vigil in the graveyard where she buried her deceased puppy.  Now everyone is doing what they can to catch her and get her inside.

Hunter Cone, a 15-year-old photographer, was on an assignment to find a specific monument in Laurel Grove North Cemetery when he came across something else instead.

“I was walking through Laurel Grove cemetery… I looked over and saw a dog. I thought it was a statue because it was so still,” he explained to Savannah Morning News.  “I looked closer and saw a dead puppy and realized it was a mom mourning the loss of her puppy.”

Hunter and his mother Jennifer brought food and water to her, but she wouldn’t let anyone come close to her or her puppy.  Hunter posted photos of her on his Facebook page, and word quickly spread.

1.11.15 - Mama Dog Refuses to Leave Cemetery Where She Buried Her Puppy2

“I’ve gotten tons of messages,” Hunter said.  “When one person shares it, it goes around pretty fast.”

He and his mom have been visiting the dog every day until she will let them rescue her.

“The dog ran off [Wednesday], we found it [Thursday], and saw she had buried the pup under a bush and she was sitting near the puppy still,” Hunter said.  “I’ve seen before how mothers treat their puppies, but this is different. She is sticking around, which leads me to believe it must be her last puppy.”

Hunter is worried about what will happen to the stray mama, because laws in Chatham County prevent local rescue groups from taking her, and that all he can do is take her to animal control.  The thought of having a grieving mother dog to the pound is disheartening.

“I wish the laws were different. … This is going to be a process,” he said.

1.11.15 - Mama Dog Refuses to Leave Cemetery Where She Buried Her Puppy3

But Savannah-Chatham Animal Control Officer Christina Sutherin, who was featured in another of our stories, said her department and other citizens have been working to catch her for a while.  On Tuesday, a dog she’s been spotted running with was captured.  AC was called on Wednesday about her, but they were inundated with other urgent calls and were unable to respond.  As of Thursday, they were still working to catch her.

“Everybody is concerned about her,” Sutherin said. “We are, too.”

Sutherin is worried that the dog might have other puppies, but so far no others have been seen, so the focus is on getting her inside where it’s warm.

“I mean, the dog braced through the cold, starvation and thirst to stay with its dead puppy. I don’t want there to be another dead dog in the cemetery. As ironic as it sounds. It’s still very sad,” Hunter said.  “If this doesn’t prove that dogs have feelings just like humans do, I don’t think anything else will.”

More ABC News Videos | ABC World News

257 thoughts on “Mama Dog Refuses to Leave Cemetery Where She Buried Her Puppy”

1. Oh, that is sooo sad, I wish the mother dog would let someone catch her and take her inside & take care of her so she won’t die. That is commendable that she is staying with her dead pup, but she needs taking care of too.

• why are the laws stating that a rescue group cannot take her ???/ cuz she is a stray? whew, that makes no sense! who needs a rescue group more than this sweet stray? red-tape redtape REDTAPE! however, I do believe it in ther best interest to do the right thing with this dear momma and any living pups as now…..the world is watching!

• So what? Is your name really Pay? What’s your full name, address and phone number? Stupid dog lover.

• 12 French people were murdered in cold blood, and YES, the rest of the world still goes on: if you are only able to feel compassion for the victims of the most “newsworthy” tragedy, then you need to work a LOT harder on your humanity

• Anon- if you think this is a stupid dog lover story, why are you even here? Yes I feel horrible about the terror in France, but that is NOT what this story is about..

• First it was 17 people killed in France Anonymous and may they RIP. I was at the WFC when 9/11 occurred and I still care for animals. I lost a family friend and former co-worker that day and saw horrible things I’d never want anyone to see.

I still donate and care for animals. Animals don’t cause terrorist attacks, they don’t start wars, they are not evil.

• I couldnt agree more. I too worked in the animal control/ rescue field and spend many hours volunteering and my own money to care for strays and find forever homes. There are those, even within the animalcontrol/care field that would rather destroy adoptable animals for their own selfish reasons. They dont want to have to care for, spend time (god forbid off the clock) searching for homes, or devote anything more than the bare minimum. Either people are charitable and “get it”, or they dont. Thank goodness attitudes are starting to evolve with the times.

• Mil, I was also watching the terror attacks blocks away on 9/11 instead of dying on floor 78, a shift change saving my life . Humanity and compassion isnt reserved just for homo sapiens. If you cannot feel for all innocent creatures, you are not a fully mentally developed human. Well said, only humans start wars and are capable of evil….and trolling.

• You bet people are watching. Could be that it is the same ‘love’ that a mother has for her child I hope you can catch her and eventually she will find a home ,.. You are great people…..

• Seek professional help. Immediately. You have serious issues with empathy and could be a danger to others.

• Well, I for one am watching and it shows the world that we could learn a few things from animals. If you aren’t interested in the welfare of helpless animals, keep your comments to yourself.

• 2000+ people were murdered by Boco Haram (sp.?) and no one is watching bec. our media is not covering it. Maybe it’s because they were black and not white. Selective outrage or just racism? Too much infotainment. Compassion is compassion and we don’t feel it selectively for some people and not others or for some human animals and not other animals. Compassion is not selective, it is universal!

2. I have three dogs and I love them all and yes they do have feelings like us.That is a good momma dog.they depend us to take care of them like kids growing up the only difference is the dogs are easier to take care of and don’t talk back

• This is in regards to dogs not talking back… mine does. If he thinks he is in trouble he will actually argue with me about going to his room. He’s a big baby and I wouldn’t have it any other way. I love my bully mix!!!

3. This almost made me cry. The love this mom has for her pup. I hope she gets help.
    Somebody needs to put water and food for her there. Maybe later on they can take her and give her a loving home. God bless her.

4. Yes, the animal control officer should catch and destroy the poor dog that some one thru away. It is more humane to kill it then let a rescue group catch it, spayed it and find it a loving home. I have worked in the rescue field many years and the typical response from the public is : “It should be destroyed so I don’t have to see it and feel guilty for not trying to find it a fore-ever home”.

• Did you folks bother to really read what was written or did you just see what you wanted to see. The former rescue worker was not saying the dog should be destroyed. That was sarcasm based on what they have seen as typical public responses through the years.

• I think you are wrong about that being the typical response from the public…I don’t know where you live but where I live its more like DO NOT TAKE IT TO THE POUND, THEY WILL KILL IT..So please do not include everyone with that mentality…..

• Your sick. You don’t kill a dog just because it’s a stray there is a lot of folks that might need a loving partner. I am really hoping the don’t destroy (as you say) the dog. Let someone adopt it.

• Did you people even read the poster’s message? If so, your reading comprehension skills need some practice.

• I not only read the post, I read it twice. The comment could be taken either way. At first I took it that the dog should be destroyed, then read the rest of the posts and went back and reread it again. Sarcasm? Maybe. Cruel statement? Maybe. I think the poster of the comment should clarify his/her statement.

• Anonymous statement can be interpreted either way. Hopefully he agrees with what u all have printed and if he does not agree then he should rewrite it or take a grammar class. I had to read it over to understand if he is anti or pro euthanizing the mama dog. So sad either way, she needs closure and a forever home that is the bottom line.

• No one seems to understands your blend of sarcasm. Perhaps
          its more appropriate on another subject, in another location.

• Unfortunately, most municipal animal shelters have a limited window on how long they can keep a healthy animal before they must euthanize it if it goes unclaimed or unadopted. Charitable humane societies are mostly no kill, meaning only irretrievably sick animals are euthanized. Before taking an animal to a municipal shelter, check to see what their policies are.

• This dog has a home waiting IF we can catch her… So many are fussing about her going to the pound… That is only temporary . A family is waiting and many more willing if that one doesnt meet criteria once she is evaluated.

• What an ASS u r this dog needs a HOME not to be put down. If u were to lose u’re child U would want to be put down or get help. What a jerk

5. PEOPLE NOWADAYS ARE SO CRUEL TO HUMANS AND ANIMALS IT BLOWS MY MIND.
    IF ONE IS ABUSIVE TO A CHILD OR ANIMAL THEY SHOULD BE PUT AWAY FOR GOOD.
    NO SLAP ON THE WRIST AND SMALL FINE. THEY WILL JUST LAUGH IT ALL OFF.
    THIS DOG NEEDS TO BE CAUGHT HUMANELY IN A CATCH BOX. IF THEY KNOW WHERE
    THE BABY IS BURIED PERHAPS DIG IT UP AND PUT IT IN THE CAGE FIRST.SHE IS A
    BEAUTIFUL DOG.

6. If they can find an abandoned puppy in a shelter, they could get her dead puppy’s scent on it and she might be able to accept it and nurse it. Then the mommie dog would be happy and so would the puppy.

7. In stead of trying to catch her, can’t there simple be a temper insulate dog house with blankets or bedding put out for to her keep her from harsh elements of winter for time being if so concern about her out of respect to give her time to mourn her dead puppy after all she had smarts enough to have buried her puppy in a cemetery

• Because the law wont allow it.. We have heard so much BS from our county and city… thats why we are trying to change the law so that its easier to catch strays… Right now its illegal to try and rescue them at all.

• who gives a fig about your ridiculous law! doesn’t someone out there have a brain and a spin?. get out to that cemetery NOW, and place an igloo in it with with preferably hay (stuffed in it), or at minimum blankets, and lots of them! who the heck is gonna tell on you? and for what being kind? just do it! dammit!