Police Officer Rushes Dog to Vet Clinic and Saves Pet’s Life

When Officer Albert Sanchez from Dallas saw a frantic woman honking and speeding through red lights, the last thing he imagined is that the woman’s emergency involved a pet, but nevertheless, the officer was ready to serve and help the four-legged victim.

Carolina was driving home with Scrappy, a 13-year-old Brittany spaniel recently diagnosed with laryngeal paralysis. When they were pulling into their parking garage, the pet owner realized her pet was asphyxiating in the backseat of her car.

Scrappy
Scrappy

Carolina dialed 911, but when operators heard the victim in this emergency was a dog, they informed the caller they couldn’t help her. Helpless, Carolina sped through heavy traffic trying to reach a vet clinic in time to save her best friend.

Officer Sanchez was in the area and saw Carolina violating a few traffic laws. He immediately followed her, pulled next to her and asked her what her emergency was.

“He stopped, I told him [it] was a dog, and he immediately told me to calm down,” Carolina told Fox news. “He grabbed my purse…everything I had in my hands. I’m trying to pull out medications, I’m trying to show him where I’m trying to go, and he immediately grabbed Scrappy, carried Scrappy, put him in the backseat and said, ‘Get in. Let’s go.'”

Thanks to the kind, quick thinking officer, Carolina and her pet arrived at the nearest pet clinic, where veterinarians saved the dog’s life.

123 thoughts on “Police Officer Rushes Dog to Vet Clinic and Saves Pet’s Life”

1. This officer knows the true meaning of a good heart. He is my hero. Kudos the Scrappy’s mom for going all the way to save her baby. This made my day. You guys rock!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. Scrappy is this lady’s baby. The officer saved her child. Yes, that is heroic. I hope he is nominated for an award.

3. She’s lucky. My dog was also asphyxiating from a bee sting and we raced through 5:00 traffic to get to the nearest vet clinic – the closest being one where we were no longer clients due to our dissatisfaction with the vet’s personality. As we pulled into his parking lot, he was just closing up and getting in his car. We jumped out of ours yelling for help and told him our dog was dying in the backseat. He looked at us coldly and said “you don’t come here anymore.” We then had to beg him to see our dog inside and after several minutes he very reluctantly did so, and gave our dog a shot of Benadryl and charged us $100 – no big deal. Now there was a low being who should never have been a vet. He was more concerned with making us uncomfortable than saving my dog. Luckily, we heard he retired because this story has been told near and far by us.

• Unbelievably there are vets that are in it only for the money or prestige. So glad your dog was saved.
      I am a retired police officer and I made it my mission to help animals and their owners whenever I could! I have stopped traffic and got animal control or the owners of dogs struck by cars and in the roadway so they are not injured further.
      I love them all and still help if I can with ducks or turtles or dogs and cats.

4. This story had a happy ending. Mine did not. I lost my beloved dog from laryngeal paralysis and it was heartbreaking. The doctors could not pull him out of it. So glad to hear that the dog and owner are doing ok. High five to the officer for helping!

5. This shows that we DO have some police officers who have a heart when it comes to animals. It would have been very easy for him to stop her, detain her to give her a ticket, and thus lose the dog. Thank you so much officer! This restores my faith in some enforcement officers. You are a credit to your profession!

6. Great news! All police stations in all cities and in all states should read this. Maybe police officer Sanchez can replace some of those policemen that abused or lost their K9 partners.

7. Thank you Officer Sanchez. Wish there were more like you and you deserve an outstanding award from DPD. Thank you for having a big heart for both the lady and her child (doggy). Anyone, that have pets or have had pets they are our children and part of our family. Glad to hear the dog is doing fine and a high five to Officer Sanchez.