Pope Francis Says Only Having Pets Will End with “Bitterness and Loneliness”

According to Pope Francis, married couples should no longer consider furry four-legged friends to be quality and worthwhile family members, but should forsake them to only raise human children.

The comments were made by Pope Francis while he celebrated daily Mass with 15 married couples, and took place in the chapel at the Santa Maria residence inside the Vatican.

The couples, ranging in age from 25 to 60 years were reminded by the pontiff of the need for faithfulness, perseverance and fertility “required” to maintain a Christian marriage.

The Pope took things one step further however, and made some comments that have left dog lovers a bit confused.  Considering how vocal he was in speaking out for pets and animals not that long ago.  He strongly criticized couples that choose not to have children, but raise pets instead.  He said they have been influenced by a culture of “well-being” that says life is better without kids.

“This culture of well-being from 10 years ago convinced us: It’s better not to have children! It’s better! You can go explore the world, go on holiday, you can have a villa in the countryside, you can be care-free … it might be better — more comfortable — to have a dog, two cats, and the love goes to the two cats and the dog. Is this true or is this not? Have you seen it? Then, in the end this marriage comes to old age in solitude, with the bitterness of loneliness. It is not fruitful, it does not do what Jesus does with his Church: He makes His church fruitful,” the pope stated.

His comments come after recent numbers from the U.S., Italy and other countries showing a dip in birth rates.  Italy itself posted a record low in 2013, coming in with only 515,000 babies born.  That’s a drop of 64,000 over the past five years.

Time magazine last year fired up a national debate with their coverage of what they called “The Childfree Life.”  The article showed a similar drop in birth rates in the U.S., and the role personal choice plays in these numbers.

“Married life must be persevering, because otherwise love cannot go forward. Perseverance in love, in good times and in difficult times, when there are problems: problems with the children, economic problems,” the pope said.

0 thoughts on “Pope Francis Says Only Having Pets Will End with “Bitterness and Loneliness””

1. Well I guess it’s a good thing I’m not Catholic… I’ll be over here living my “bitter” and “lonely” life with my loving husband and my two fur-kids, not caring much about what Catholics think I should be doing… Lol

2. Its a personal choice period. We have to be mindful of the earth also. There are so many people ..so much pollution…think about that too. Animals do not go around polluting the earth if we humans don’t do something humans and animals alike won’t have a habitual place to live…I’m note concerned about this than anything else..

3. It’s simple math, really. More Catholics = more money for the Catholic Church. The Catholic Church has always been about having big families. People need to stop living their life according to what some church says.

• That’s not a little misguided.

If you don’t see the breakdown in societies and economies and pain and loss rooted in the breakdown in family life, I’d ask you to look again. It’s all around.

To make this about dogs and cats in unfortunate. This is no more anti-dog than it is anti-villa.

4. Francis is the best the church has come up with in years, but he is still trapped in the old white men’s club. His attitudes about women and now pets, excess population, and celibacy, not to mention gay rights is only part of why I cannot remain catholic and left the church and religion altogether.

• This is not anti-pets.

The whole population bomb alarmism has long been shown to have been desperately misguided.

• Not true, Edward. The population is still growing at an exponential rate, and we don’t have the resources to sustain it. People who deny it are usually the same ones who deny climate change, and for similar reasons.

• ignorance’ leave Gods church for another that don’t have any credentials.This church has prevail for over 2000 years. Nor the Romans, nor Napolian ,nor Hitler not even bad priest can destroy this church. Look at the fruits of the tree. (the saints, the martors) not the bad apple that fall.

• God’s church? So if we’re not Catholic, our church that worships the same God, is not credentialed. And the Romans, Napolian and Hitler were just bad humans. If you’re true in your faith, they’re irrelevant. To tell you the truth, you really don’t need a pope, priest, pastor, minister to practice your religious beliefs. They lead you but God did give most people a brain and a moral compass that they can lead themselves. As far as the Pope’s message, I don’t agree with it but I don’t have to. I have seen more than my fair share of evil humans. But animals remain pure & innocent & do everything on instinct. The only other thing that compares are infants before they are molded.

• Amen and amen…the forests, mountains, bodies of water are my church…everywhere nature is…my God can be found

• And the human- domesticated dog bond has survived for over 15,000 years. Beasts if Burden, they have protected us, worked for us and died for us, “barking up the wrong tree” Pope Francis. Find other verbiage to encourage us to procreate and fill the world with children, don’t diss our dogs, just pushes us farther away

• @Anonymous – “Old white men’s club…”? Who is a racist now?… What is more : “the best the Church has come up with in years” may be your personal opinion but not necessarily everybody’s….

5. OK, let me see if I get this right….. So Pope Francis, who has taken a vow of chastity and chose not to have kids, is telling people who choose not to have kids that it is wrong? Yup, this is a real jesuit. Beware. I truly fear the future for my Church…

6. I think it’s more of a economic issue if birthrates go down. Many people have to choose having less children because of difficulties with workinghours, stay home with sick kids, schoolfees etc. Anyway, kids should be raised with pets, that good for them!

• There’s certainly more than a little evidence, though, demonstrating that standards of living have changed reflecting changes in the family as much as the opposite.

Certainly in Europe, where the pope is speaking, it’s not like family medical leave isn’t widely available.

7. Wow, you people are something else. Pope Francis is clearly stating to be careful not to choose pets ahead of children. Because at the end you WILL be lonely. Just ask 2 of my aunts that are now in there 40’s. I love my pets, but they don’t compare to my children. And btw, those of you who don’t know, Pope Francis is married, married to the church! And you and I know that his relationship is filled with many ups & downs. Just like a marriage.

• I don’t need to ask your aunts who are in their 40s. I am in my 50s, I don’t have children, and I am not lonely.

• Seriously?? Your aunts are lonely because they don’t have children? And they’re only in their 40’s? No friends, no hobbies or activities, nothing in this vast world they’re interested in other than babies? How sad. Then again, they don’t sound like very interesting people, and boring people are bound to be lonely.